Nostradamus Lives James Kelly to Essendon in 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dude probably has a nice million dollar house somewhere, plenty of investments, and enough money in the bank to laze around for 12 months. Add to that how many average footballers end up in cushy jobs.

So is 300 grand really worth it? I don't know. When you're being remembered, kids at looking at your Wikipedia in 25 years, or he's on his deathbed, I'd rather remember playing only for the Geelong Football Club – and winning three flags with it, with some terrific players – and that being it. I dunno, 300 grand really isn't that much money for someone who's been making it for 15 years.

Dude probably has a nice million dollar house somewhere, plenty of investments, and enough money in the bank to laze around for 12 months. Add to that how many average footballers end up in cushy jobs.

So is 300 grand really worth it? I don't know. When you're being remembered, kids at looking at your Wikipedia in 25 years, or he's on his deathbed, I'd rather remember playing only for the Geelong Football Club – and winning three flags with it, with some terrific players – and that being it. I dunno, 300 grand really isn't that much money for someone who's been making it for 15 years.

Professional sportspeople do it for more than money. They're competitive, passionate and LOVE playing their sport. I think if you asked any footballer they'd say they wish they could have played for years on. It's what they do.

Wouldn't hurt his chances of getting an assistant coaches/football management job in the future. Take on a big mentoring role with the younger kids etc and all that jazz. Didn't hurt Luke Power or Chad Cornes.

If you could earn another 300k a year in a professional sporting outfit and associated limelight before becoming a used car salesman, you would
Yeah except most players end up in a cushy job doing some sort of 'rep' job where all they do is play golf two days a week and above average tasks three other days a week.

Yeah except most players end up in a cushy job doing some sort of 'rep' job where all they do is play golf two days a week and above average tasks three other days a week.

Sure if you're a star or highly recognised player in your time that may be the case. For a lot of players though thats not going to be the case - which is why the AFLPA pushed for the retirement fund so heavily.

Or 100k+ to do something you love which honestly for footballers is their last chance to pull that kind of money

Sure if you're a star or highly recognised player in your time that may be the case. For a lot of players though thats not going to be the case - which is why the AFLPA pushed for the retirement fund so heavily.
Pretty sure Byron Schammer retied to become an accountant even though he had a year or two on the table from Freo.

I dunno, I think I'd rather look back on my life as a one club player for a remarkable club than do this.

Then again the pride of going out on a high doesn't exist these days.

Kel has taken unders to stay at GFC and keep the group together.

Im not a fan of him doing this overall - but that said if this is the reward he needs to the $$ he sacrificed to play his part in the 07-11 run we had, i'll take it.

Go Catters

I find it ironic that Freo fans, above others, are spruiking the nobility of being a one club player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kel has taken unders to stay at GFC and keep the group together.

Im not a fan of him doing this overall - but that said if this is the reward he needs to the $$ he sacrificed to play his part in the 07-11 run we had, i'll take it.

Go Catters
Wasn't the reward of that sacrifice three flags?

Which should be tax free.

Essendon are a charity case now, aren't they?
Unlike your AFL farm club, our club has a rich history and people lining up to contribute. What we don't have, is the AFL doing everything it can to deliver us a premiership in order to achieve greater market share in a shithole west of Sydney.

Unlike your AFL farm club, our club has a rich history and people lining up to contribute. What we don't have, is the AFL doing everything it can to deliver us a premiership in order to achieve greater market share in a shithole west of Sydney.
Everything they can? They gave us Sheedy FFS!

Integrity, that's what you don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back