Senior James Madden (2019-)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
The Brisbane Lions are excited to announce the signing of fast and agile Irishman, James Madden.

The Dubliner will join the Lions after signing a two-year contract as a Category B Rookie for the 2019 and 2020 AFL season.

The Irishman broke the all-time AFL Draft Combine 20 metre sprint record at the European Combine last year, running at 2.69 seconds. He also travelled to Florida, USA to train with the AFL Academy.

In his homeland, Madden stars for Dublin in both Gaelic football and Hurling but is ready to test the water in AFL in Australia.

“A lot of Irish lads would love to get this opportunity. You’ve really got to cherish it. It’s a good challenge obviously, new experience, new country, new city,” Madden told lions.com.au.

After signing with the Club, the 18-year-old has been at the Gabba touring the facilities and meeting his new teammates this past week.

“I knew it had been coming for a while now and it’s great to finally be here,” he said.

Lions list manager Dom Ambrogio visited Madden and his family in Dublin earlier this year. Former Lion Cian Hanley also played a part in the recruiting process.

“He [Ambrogio] had a great chat with me and my Dad and talked through the process,” Madden said.

General Manager of Football David Noble said the Lions were impressed with Madden’s ball speed, ball control and decision making.

“In list management, it is important to explore all sport talent options,” Noble said.

“We’re excited to secure his services for the next couple of years.”

Noble believes Madden will have no troubles learning the intricacies of his new game.

“The work that our team have been doing with our first and second-year development players has been second to none. The results have shown for themselves and are really quite impressive.”

Madden will spend the next two weeks in Brisbane before flying back to Ireland.

He will re-join the Lions in November for the 2019 pre-season.

E3E4A683-DFA3-4D0B-A12C-987AFD07C703.jpeg

I like the Madden game takeoff.

Can anyone make out the last word on the rating tag? I've got:

Recommended for all audiences.
Particularly Lions Fans.
Extremely quick and ____.

Skillful.

Do all the irish boys have to look so irish?

They should look more like this guy. maybe???

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like his attitude regarding the work ahead of him.

Everyone wants to talk about how fast he is but he very openly says (paraphrasing) “I can’t just get the ball and run, I have to bring more than that”.

Brisbane Lion James Madden chasing permanent role in Chris Fagan’s senior side
ANDREW HAMILTON THE COURIER-MAIL MARCH 14, 2019
There’s a race on and you don’t bet against James Madden in a race.

The Irishman, who holds the AFL combine speed and agility records, is one of a handful of Lions jostling to put their name at the top of the list to fill the vacancy in defence Luke Hodge will leave when he hangs up the boots.

When Alex Witherden handed Hodge a beer at last year’s Christmas Party it came with the cheeky sledge that he was attempting to get in his good books early because the day was fast approaching when he pulls off the jumper for the last time and replaces it with a coach’s polo shirt.

Hodge still has an important role to play for the Lions, perhaps even more so now that new restrictions on runners will make his on-field coaching more valuable than ever.

But this year is his last and that time is exactly what Madden needs.

Brisbane Lions’ Irish recruit James Madden.
In Witherden and Daniel Rich the Lions have two superb users of the footy in their back half. Where they are short is genuine line-breaking ball carriers.

The club’s second pick in the 2017 draft, Zac Bailey, impressed there when he got his chance late last season and will receive more opportunities this year.

Madden says although he is giving his opponents a head start on the skills and some of the more intricate tactical knowledge, the one great advantage is Brisbane have told him from the start what they want from him.

“I would like to be able to do what Zac does but not exactly the same, bring a bit of Irishness to it I suppose,’’ he said.

“I know I can get there because I am lucky that I already know what my role is.’’

Madden brought a refreshing twist to the standard onstage interviews at the season launch this week when he told the crowd that the heat wasn’t the hardest thing he had to adapt to, more difficult was coming from the top of the pile in Dublin where he starred in Gaelic footy and hurling, to somewhere near the bottom at Brisbane.

Luke Hodge can’t go on forever. Pic: Michael Klein
“I’m not saying I was THE man, but I like to think I was a very important player on the team,’’ he said.

“It is a big time shock, I knew it was going to happen, but still now it is actually reality and I’m down at the bottom it is pushing me to work harder.’’

The 19-year-old impressed in an undermanned and under-siege defence against Melbourne VFL side Casey at the weekend.

“I was down there with four academy blokes, they can play but they don’t know the system that well and it is new to me,’’ he said.

“I thought I did all right considering, I got some marks and made some tackles, it was just hard to get my run off half back going.’’

The Brisbane Lions have invested in their youth by extending the contracts of Connor Ballenden, Tom Joyce and James Madden.

The trio are integral players in the NEAFL’s undefeated side and all are chasing their dream to make their AFL debut.

All have extended their contracts with the Club until at least the end of the 2021 season.

https://www.lions.com.au/news/2019-05-15/resigning

After kicking his first goal last week, Irish sensation James Madden didn’t hold back, coming away with five. “He has found a little niche now up forward.”

“It’s just great reward for all the hard work he has put in, he has brought into being an elite athlete now.” Playing up forward in the Gaelic league, Littlejohn said Madden’s natural instincts took over. “To take four or five contested marks and kick five straight, in your first year ever of AFL footy is a pretty good achievement,” he said.

James Madden electric in breakout game for Lions (Ben Hunter)
Irish rookie James Madden set the Gabba alight in the NEAFL curtain raiser against Redland on Sunday with a career-high five goals. His five goals were complemented nicely with 16 disposals and six marks in what was arguably his best game for the club. Having played as a running half-back through most of the season, and only kicking his first goal the week prior against Sydney Uni, the 19-year-old thrived in his side’s 97-point win.

“That’s my third game I’ve played forward now,” Madden told neafl.com.au. “I’ve been playing half-back most of the other games. They told me just play up there, don’t worry about too much structurally, just play the game. It’s more instinct, whereas as a back it’s a lot about structure, so I’m really enjoying it up there. “I played predominantly as a forward in Gaelic, just try and run as much as I could, it’s a bit different in Aussie Rules obviously, if you try and run past someone they grab you. "I suppose it came together for me (on Sunday). I suppose I did most things right just on instinct.”

Madden only picked up a football for the first time 18 months ago, and has quickly adapted to Aussie Rules football, taking plenty of inspiration and natural instinct from his native Gaelic Football.

“I’ve been working on my craft, if I’ve been doing a lot of craft it’s just been kicking, kicking, kicking," he said. "So when I take those marks I’m pretty nervous taking the kicks. I slotted three set shots today - three out of three - so obviously the kicking’s paying off. The marking’s not too different to Gaelic, it’s just a ball at the end of the day.

Madden joined the Lions as a Category B Rookie on a two-year contract last year after breaking the all-time AFL Draft Combine 20 metre sprint record at the European Combine, running 2.69 seconds. He also travelled to Florida, USA to train with the AFL Academy. He made his NEAFL debut in Round 2, and has now strung together 10 games for the Lions. Madden said he is enjoying every second, and is just concentrating on improving each week.

“Physically I don’t feel like I’m under pressure, but just knowing structures, knowing how to play the game, playing on instinct, that kind of thing is what I am learning,” he said. “It’ll come to me in a few more games, hopefully I’ll be getting better every week.”

Joining a long list of Lions competing for a senior spot, Madden is not trying to rush his evolution into an AFL footballer. “I’m always pushing. Whenever the chance (to play AFL) comes, I’ll take it,” he said. “I’m not really setting a date on it, I’ll just keep pushing as hard as I can to get into that team.”

For our Irish friends following James' progress, here is the game referred to above:

The unseen: Who is yet to play senior footy at your club in 2019?
James Madden: The Irish recruit made a name for himself a few weeks ago by kicking five goals in the NEAFL. A year of education for him.

Who might play in 2019? With a reliable squad of 28-30 players to choose from, injury is the only avenue for any of the above to get a call-up. Lyons, Skinner and Berry are the most likely candidates if injury should strike.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back