Number: 22
Height: 182cm
Weight: 88kg
DOB: 12-8-1987
Debut: 2012

Club Profile

Demonwiki

MFC Website: Magner ready to construct AFL career

I’ve adapted well [to life in the AFL]. Working in construction, I had to get up and work a 10-hour day and then do football.

But now I get to fine tune my football skills and do it all through the day, so it’s been really good.

There are a couple of excavators out next to the training track, so it gives me extra motivation to train and get better.

Magnerficent...

I want to see a banner with this on it this season!

Surely will be the first upgraded. Huge at the stoppages where we have been poor last few years. Magner, Jones and Moloney will win us a lot of first ball this season, even Bate looked good tonight at the stoppages. The main issue is getting some class around them. All struggle with decision making and first option tends to be bomb the ball long, but it's clear we have worked hard at stoppages in the off season. Magner should be in everyone's fantasy league teams this season.

Our priority next draft/trade period is getting some class around these guys.

Loving the way this guy just wants to get back on the field no matter what.

MFC Website: Magner gets a grip

Magner battled on through pain and suffering, first receiving a nasty gash that required stiches under his left eye in an off-the-ball incident with Saint Leigh Montagna.

If that wasn't enough, his knee caved in during an awkward pile up between teammate Luke Tapscott and Saints midfielder Jack Steven.

Magner has made an immediate impression at the Demons, ranking third in kicks, second in handballs, second in disposals and second in tackles after round five.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MFC: I’d have taken 17 matches in 2012: Magner

MATURE age rookie James Magner played 17 matches in his first AFL-listed season, including the opening 14 rounds of 2012.

Considering he was claimed at No. 42 in last December’s NAB AFL Rookie Draft and had not graced an AFL field to that stage, it was a fine effort.

Despite his start - and having had a taste of League football - Magner wanted more. But, upon reflection, his ability to play all but five matches as a ‘nominated rookie’ this year was a genuine tick for both player and club.

I suppose it's a tick to the club in that they got reasonable service from him so his recruitment is vindicated but in another way it isn't the best endorsement of where we're at if a fill in rookie gets 17 games. Well done to JM in any case, look forward to what he can offer after another pre-season.

MFC: Pre-season update: Strauss to Tynan

22. James Magner (rookie)
James came back from the post-season break in outstanding, physical condition, which has allowed him to be one of the leaders in all aspects of our training over the pre-season period. His running and conditioning has been in the top three or four players and he continues to improve in all areas of his football.

– Brian Royal

Why do you say that?

Magner was a very influential player especially around the stoppages, he put his head over it and ironically (since we signed him up) reminds me of a younger Dan Cross. Excellent in a one on one, put his head over it and would back him in one on one against nearly anyone.
He deserves a spot on out list, at least our rookie list over a number of players.

Potentially could of became the identity of a really tough midfield.

Uhh? He was available to the other 17 clubs who also said no thanks

The bloke had 56 odd touches and a couple of goals and still found himself at VFL level, id much rather have him on our list then these blokes and ask yourself if its a one on one situation between Magner and any of these players who would win the clearance?
  • Byrnes - Will find himself retired at either 2014, 2015 end
  • Nicho - Endurance freak but lacks football ability
  • Jetta - Take away him game against Adelaide and he hasn't shown much
  • Strauss - Looks to vastly becoming a list clogger with no spot in our side
  • Barry - Hasn't shown anything
  • Harmes - Doesn't show much upside
  • Hunt - Likewise to Harmes

The bloke had 56 odd touches and a couple of goals and still found himself at VFL level, id much rather have him on our list then these blokes and ask yourself if its a one on one situation between Magner and any of these players who would win the clearance?
  • Byrnes - Will find himself retired at either 2014, 2015 end
  • Nicho - Endurance freak but lacks football ability
  • Jetta - Take away him game against Adelaide and he hasn't shown much
  • Strauss - Looks to vastly becoming a list clogger with no spot in our side
  • Barry - Hasn't shown anything
  • Harmes - Doesn't show much upside
  • Hunt - Likewise to Harmes

So?
I skipped your player notes because its a stupid comparison
Who would win a marking contest between Viney and Newton?

James Magner was not picked up by ANYONE
END OF STORY

Remove this Banner Ad

Back