James McDonald

art-353-james-20mcdonald-200x0.jpg

Height:
181cm
Weight: 75kg
D/O/B: 5/10/1976
Position: Mid

McDonald Joins GWS

Former Melbourne captain James McDonald is confident his body will hold up to the rigours of another AFL season when he returns in 2012 for Greater Western Sydney.
McDonald will act as both a player and assistant coach for GWS in their maiden season.
McDonald, who turns 35 next month, was keen to play on this year but didn't after being told he wasn't required at the Demons.
GWS general manager of football Graeme Allan has since convinced the 251-game veteran, who has been playing amateur football in Melbourne, to return to the highest level.
"I don't really know (how hard it will be)," admitted McDonald.
"Fortunately, my body's pretty good. I didn't need any operations when I finished up at Melbourne and I don't carry much weight, so I think that will help.
"It's going to be a challenge but I think having a year off has probably freshened me up a bit mentally and, hopefully, it's given the body a bit of time ... it was getting a bit tired towards the end.

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8301928

Mcdonald Moves into full-time coaching with GWS

James McDonald has officially drawn end to his illustrious 264 game AFL career with the Melbourne Demons and Greater Western Sydney GIANTS.
McDonald joined the GIANTS at the end of last season acting as a playing assistant coach after 251 games for Melbourne.
McDonald pick number 51 in 1996 rookie draft captained the Demons in 2009-10, won the clubs best and fairest consecutively in 2006-7 and was a member of the 2006 All Australian team.
Delisted by Melbourne at the end of 2010, he spent a year playing for the Old Xaverians before he returned to senior football in 2012 playing 13 games for the GIANTS.
McDonald was known as a relentless on-baller, was attracted by the prospect at the GIANT to work under Kevin Sheedy and Mark Williams with stacked young list of talent.
GIANTS General Manager Graeme Allan said that McDonald has made an important on field contribution during the GIANTS’ inaugural year in the AFL
"James' experience, leadership and on-field presence have been invaluable to our young playing group and he has shown everyone that he still had good football left in him," Allan said.

"We now look forward to him becoming a full-time assistant coach next year and further developing our young playing list."

http://www.aflriverina.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1172&tx_ttnews[backPid]=4&cHash=f21e96d46d

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back