Past James Rose - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought he was serviceable against the Tiges. I'd play him next week before Rohan who really does need to go back to the NEAFL and find some form.

I think most people are praising him because he showed intent when chasing and tackling which I think many of us were surprised by. But in reality he did very little with the ball and not enough to ensure he has a place in the side next week. I recall him giving the last handball to Florent for his running goal but other than that, he didn't provide anything we need offensively out of a small forward. So I was happy to see him truly work his arse off in defence but I still wouldn't call it a particularly good game from him necessarily.

I think most people are praising him because he showed intent when chasing and tackling which I think many of us were surprised by. But in reality he did very little with the ball and not enough to ensure he has a place in the side next week. I recall him giving the last handball to Florent for his running goal but other than that, he didn't provide anything we need offensively out of a small forward. So I was happy to see him truly work his arse off in defence but I still wouldn't call it a particularly good game from him necessarily.
Good post.

Effort couldn't be questioned and I'm sure he did what was asked of him, but he's not best 22 and is barely depth on a team playing for a flag.

Wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack at a minnow club like North for about $750k

Depends on Papley really, don't you think? If Papley's fit he comes straight in, if not I'd give Rose at least one more game... even though it's the cats, I reckon it will be slower and less intense, and he'll have more of a chance to prosper.

Depends on Papley really, don't you think? If Papley's fit he comes straight in, if not I'd give Rose at least one more game... even though it's the cats, I reckon it will be slower and less intense, and he'll have more of a chance to prosper.

Yeh, that's fair.

As The King! says, playing his 2nd senior game in 2 years against the reigning premiers in a huge match isn't ideal to come straight back in and flourish.

Yeh, that's fair.

As The King! says, playing his 2nd senior game in 2 years against the reigning premiers in a huge match isn't ideal to come straight back in and flourish.

Especially when the player around him were average at best.

His contribution would likely be stronger if those around him were up to the task. He was never going to be the difference.

Happy with his work rate, rough for him to come in with a huge step up against arguably the best side in the competition right now.

I’d give him another go if Papley doesn’t get up.

thought he was exposed for pace inside the forward 50. we need someone who is faster or who reacts faster in that spot.

would be fine with trying him up on a wing.

i think 2 games in 600 odd days is a bit of an unreasonable sample size to write someone off

You can just tell with some players though.

Not good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent depth I suppose?

Perhaps the club thinks what is required has finally sunk in?

His grand final performance in a dominated side was exceptional:

38 possessions (27 contested), 4 Marks, 15 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 rebound 50, 2 inside 50

Perhaps the club thinks what is required has finally sunk in?

His grand final performance in a dominated side was exceptional:

38 possessions (27 contested), 4 Marks, 15 clearances, 7 tackles, 7 rebound 50, 2 inside 50
Maybe. But it was one game. I don't see him as anything but depth especially considering the players we have of the same type playing in the seniors.

38 neafl touches will translate into what 5 kicks and a missed shot on goal in the seniors
It was more his effort and commitment that was important. That kind of effort will stand up to AFL football, but we have rarely seen it.
27 contested disposals isn't cheap NEAFL ball. He had a crack.

I wasn't a Rose fan by any means, but I could see why the coaches might be interested to see if it actually has clicked with him.

It was more his effort and commitment that was important. That kind of effort will stand up to AFL football, but we have rarely seen it.
27 contested disposals isn't cheap NEAFL ball. He had a crack.

I wasn't a Rose fan by any means, but I could see why the coaches might be interested to see if it actually has clicked with him.

Just stirring the s**t about the neafl

Hes shown enough in seniors to keep looking at a little imo

He was second player delisted in my book behind Foote. But it's times like these that you have to back in those employed at the club and realise there's stuff that they see that I don't. I'm sure his Grand Final performance helped.

I genuinely believe the GF performance was what kept him at the club. If he had just played OK, I reckon they wouldn't have bothered. But he played not just well, but out of his skin and I guess that was enough to give him one final chance.

I'm not banking on it amounting to a career, but I think there are enough indications that his attitude may have at least changed. His one senior game this year against Richmond saw him chasing and tackling really actively, more than I've ever seen from him. So maybe the penny has dropped with respect to how hard he has to work.

Again, I'm doubtful he'll end up with a career of note, but I'm happy to give him one last shot on the rookie list on the basis of such a dominant GF and his ability.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back