Past James Rose - delisted 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

swansfan51 how does Rose fit into List Management,

Serviceable player, but proabably not best 22 when everyone is fit.

Is it worthwhile to keep players who maybe average in place of rookies who may not play in their first year (or two) ?
Do you think Rose will be an above average AFL player? If yes, keep him. If not, he should have been delisted 3 seasons ago. The sunk costs on Rose are already very high, 5 years of list space for 10 games.

To answer your specific question - if someone will only be average, get rid of them. Rookies who may not play in their first year aren't in your best 28 anyway, the delisted average player will have his spot (if he even had one) replaced by someone else who is somewhere around average.

Do you think Rose will be an above average AFL player? If yes, keep him. If not, he should have been delisted 3 seasons ago. The sunk costs on Rose are already very high, 5 years of list space for 10 games.

To answer your specific question - if someone will only be average, get rid of them. Rookies who may not play in their first year aren't in your best 28 anyway, the delisted average player will have his spot (if he even had one) replaced by someone else who is somewhere around average.

This is Dawson's fourth year on the list for 16 games, most of which have been this year. After a poor return of 6 games in three years he could have been delisted last year. Sometimes I think there has been a failure to expeditiously develop and play outliers on the list who indicate better than average in Allir and Dawson at the appropriate time.

Obviously form and performance varies and can dip below average due to chronic injury (Hanners) and age and chronic injury (Jack) over time. I think the Club kept kept too many veterans in the top 22 for too long. Their decline in 2017-2019, matched that of the Club's performance.

McRobie

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Really enjoyed him through the midfield, be great if we could find another mid in Rose to add to the rotation which is quite thin.

Sep 25, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
This. Loved his goal too but probably my favourite thing he did was when he crumbed it off the marking contest on the wing & handballed to Heeney and it ended up with Reid running into an open goal, that was a great passage of team play
Really? I preferred his goal.. He just picked it up and hanballed to Heeney. Most country league reserve players can do this. 😂

I loved it when Rose ran back to the half back to punch ball out of bounds after he fluffled a hand-pass on the wing.

Agree. His repeat efforts in several plays showed a lot of will. I doubt he would be over the moon about his game but he should be satisfied he played a solid part in the win. Hopefully he received some positive feedback from the coaches.

James, you are persistence personified!

10 games from possible 79 games over nearly 5 years
Since his debut game
he’s seen 26 players do likewise.
Five of the 26 debutants are no longer at the club. Eight other draftees have come and gone without playing at senior level. And another nine are yet to play. All the while, Rose has stuck at it.

rose swans.jpg
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-06-12/persistence-personified

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
What? Two solid-ish games is not enough to justify a contract extension.

It’s been promising, yes, but let’s wait til the end of the season to see how he’s tracking.

Agreed. He's certainly done enough to retain his place in the side and I really hope this form continues because he adds another dimension to our HF/midfield group.

Happy for him too. He's earned a place in the 22 the hard way.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Has been good without being amazing. Not irreplaceable. Wait till closer to the end of the season to see if he can continue his form consistently. Then maybe give him a year. Two if he really starts to perform.

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Surely we need him for 2020?

He’s not best 22 when most are fit, and he’s shown two games where he might be AFL standard. We do not NEED him. What if Rowbottom makes a strong case in the second half of the year and replaces him? What if Bell and Wicks get a chance and outperform him?

He might well be worth keeping for next year, but let him play out the year first. We might prefer to trade someone in using his spot, or let someone else who’s younger develop.

Again, every chance he keeps going and cements himself, in which case yeah, sign him up. But there’s no sense signing him now, it’s not like he’s a risk of being poached.

Back