Player Watch James Rowe - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking like the loser from Rankine seemingly becoming available, but Jimmy showed a bit in the last two years that indicated he's a solid small forward option at AFL level. Saying that, I'd be surprised if this is the end of his AFL story.

(Plus we're probably resigning him if Rankine falls through).

Looking like the loser from Rankine seemingly becoming available, but Jimmy showed a bit in the last two years that indicated he's a solid small forward option at AFL level. Saying that, I'd be surprised if this is the end of his AFL story.

(Plus we're probably resigning him if Rankine falls through).
Nothing he has indicated says he is AFL standard forward. Hope he has a solid career, but it's not with us

Rowe is definitely better than you'd think from the way people post about him here generally, and uses the ball well which is something we need. Problem is he goes missing a lot, and every time he had a decent patch he would follow it up with a series of quiet games and get dropped. Also lacks defensive intensity compared to the other small forward options at the club so when he's not getting the ball he's not doing anything to keep himself in the side.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had a decent AFL career but no issue with delisting him.

I like Jimmy but if he's a casualty then it's not the end of the world. Our problem with the holy trinity of Rowe, McHenry and Murphy is that they all possess traits our coaches love, but it's all they have. Each one is 33% of a player. When we play all 3, we're effectively playing one good player.

If you could take Jimmy's skills and goalsense and mix it with McHenry's effort and Murphy's work around stoppages and up the ground work you'd have a handy footballer.

We can't carry all 3. Jimmy wouldn't be my first pick to boot out of the 3 but for some insane reason we signed Ned until 2024.

As has been suggested, he is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

We focus on all the priorities and the Rowe situation will sort itself out in the wash-up, whether he stays or goes.

Prioritising the Rowe contract over the other things we need to focus on would be making a big mistake and a distraction.

I am really shocked that Rowe is being moved on... i at least thought he would get a year extension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's people's thoughts on James Rowe?

I still remember that 2020 SANFL preliminary final in 2020 between Woodville west Torrens and south Adelaide Panthers.

He tore my panthers apart in that 3rd quarter of that preliminary final. I was at that game too.
He's a smart player but I think he's held back by his physical attributes. Short players usually have speed and he doesn't. He was good at the Eagles because his skills made him lethal if he could get the ball anywhere near the goals. At the Crows his skills seemed to decline pretty quickly and he wasn't helped by Nicks's gameplan which drags small forwards higher up the ground. He's also one of those players who will barely be sighted when he has an off game.

Would take him over Murphy any day.
I look forward to the day none of Murphy, McHenry or Rowe are in our side.

Replace them with Rankine, Rachele and Gollant we are a better team.

I like Murphy, just think he has a low ceiling as a mid/SF. And there seems to be a reluctance to play him as a small defender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a smart player but I think he's held back by his physical attributes. Short players usually have speed and he doesn't. He was good at the Eagles because his skills made him lethal if he could get the ball anywhere near the goals. At the Crows his skills seemed to decline pretty quickly and he wasn't helped by Nicks's gameplan which drags small forwards higher up the ground. He's also one of those players who will barely be sighted when he has an off game.
Sounds like Lachie Schulz at my mob.

Guys like him will average around 10-12 disposals a game. That means he can get 5 disposals and be quiet or 15 disposals and influence some of the game.

But if he gets 10 disposals and kicks 2 or 3 goals, that's all you can ask for.

It depends on the game plan and forward structure on how useful and valuable guys like Rowe is.

James Rowe is targeted by the Bulldogs apparently.

If Walters didn't have a contract for next season, I would of seriously looked at Rowe. Walters is 32 next season, Frederick, Schultz, Switkowski are all aged between 22-25 years old

I prefer Rowe over McHenry and Murphy just happens to be out of contract and the others aren't. Which is horribly unlucky for him.
The kid loves the Adelaide Football Club and it's really sad he's getting the boot when Murphy and McHenry are still on the list
I wouldn't be adverse to keeping him on the SANFL list if no AFL club wanted him.

Not sure that can be done and what salary he could get.

Seems like a good guy to have around the club. But being built like a hobbit is not ideal for AFL Footy.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nothing he has indicated says he is AFL standard forward. Hope he has a solid career, but it's not with us

You can tell those who don't pay attention to stats, because they don't have the faintest clue of what an AFL standard player looks like.

Rowe currently sits on a line for 2022 of (afl statpro baseline for general forwards in brackets): 12.5 disposals (above ave), 72.5% DE (above ave), 62.4% KE (average), 9.3 effective disposals (above average), 3.1 marks (average), 3.2 ground ball gets (average), 0.8 clearances (above average), 0.7 goals (average), 0.6 goal assists (average), 44.4 % shot accuracy (below average), 4.4 score involvements (average), 1.6 tackles (below average), 9.8 pressure acts (below average).

All that tells you one thing, Rowe is an AFL standard forward 2 years into his career. Problematically for Rowe, being AFL standard doesn't guarantee a long career, because a player like that is always on edge if someone a whole lot better comes into the system. Someone like Rankine.

You can tell those who don't pay attention to stats, because they don't have the faintest clue of what an AFL standard player looks like.

Rowe currently sits on a line for 2022 of (afl statpro baseline for general forwards in brackets): 12.5 disposals (above ave), 72.5% DE (above ave), 62.4% KE (average), 9.3 effective disposals (above average), 3.1 marks (average), 3.2 ground ball gets (average), 0.8 clearances (above average), 0.7 goals (average), 0.6 goal assists (average), 44.4 % shot accuracy (below average), 4.4 score involvements (average), 1.6 tackles (below average), 9.8 pressure acts (below average).

All that tells you one thing, Rowe is an AFL standard forward 2 years into his career. Problematically for Rowe, being AFL standard doesn't guarantee a long career, because a player like that is always on edge if someone a whole lot better comes into the system. Someone like Rankine.

I agree. The thing most people are looking for from him are pressure acts. He can kick a goal something teams struggle with. I’d have him in the team over a Murphy, especially if the team was going well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back