Player Watch James Rowe - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Chris Burgess is the fourth time we've recruited a leading goalkicker from the twos. Fifth time if you include head coaches.

Chris Burgess - Frosty Miller Medal '21, '22.
James Rowe - Ken Farmer Medal '20
Adam Richardson - KF Medal '98, '99, '00, '01
Scott Hodges - KF Medal '94.
(Malcolm Blight - KF Medal '85)

Hodges, Richardson and Rowe played 38, 2, 36 AFC games respectively. Not an overly high bar for Burgess to become the best of those four.

It's really hard in hindsight, because I don't know about injuries or form or whatever, but here's some stats showing a few blokes who are still on our list, maybe they could have gotten a few more:
  • Rachele = 13 games
  • Soligo = 16 games
  • Cook = 8 games
  • Thilthorpe = 11 games
Maybe some combo, idk. Just does seem odd we'd play Rowey so many games (even late in the season incl. rounds 22,23) then delist him. 🤷

or more left-fielders, who probably "weren't ready" but you never know - Nank 0 games, Worrell 4 games, Newchurch (sure delisted now too, but 0 games, couldn't we fit in a couple of games over the bloke already on the delist pile?)
Newchurch would have resulted in us hemorrhaging goals from rebound 50s. Couldn't put enough pressure in the SANFL, what chance would he have had stopping a Sicily or Dale rebounding attack

I think Chris Burgess is the fourth time we've recruited a leading goalkicker from the twos. Fifth time if you include head coaches.

Hodges, Richardson and Rowe played 38, 2, 36 AFC games respectively. Not an overly high bar for Burgess to become the best of those four.
Daniel Schell won KF after we delisted him.

Newchurch would have resulted in us hemorrhaging goals from rebound 50s. Couldn't put enough pressure in the SANFL, what chance would he have had stopping a Sicily or Dale rebounding attack
It's just examples.. While the cupboard was clearly a bit bare, which is the counter argument, I still think giving games to people you delist next week is a waste. Do you disagree?

It's just examples.. While the cupboard was clearly a bit bare, which is the counter argument, I still think giving games to people you delist next week is a waste. Do you disagree?
No I completely agree. I just think Newchurch was a poor example. Nankervis as a pressure forward would have been a sight to see if we needed something more up there

I wouldn't have drafted him at all but obviously the hope was he could translate his SANFL form to AFL and we weren't the only club with interest, both the Western Bulldogs and Carlton had shown plenty of interest.

What I don't get is how this board is always looking in the rear view mirror instead of looking at the road ahead.

BTW Beau McCreery is way more a medium pressure forward than a small forward and plays that way.

Maybe because the same committees snd coaches remain in place.

If you’re playing near a full season in the 2s after more than 2 seasons, then you’re not much chance to have much of a career. There are exceptions, but they’re very much in the minority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back