Player Watch James Rowe - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Been a bit harsh on this guy considering its his first year. Lacks pace and defensive pressure, but is now providing decent output imo. Averaging a goal a game and is starting to rack up numbers that are meaningful possessions.

Those goals tonight were at a crucial time. Without them we lose touch.

Been a bit harsh on this guy considering its his first year. Lacks pace and defensive pressure, but is now providing decent output imo. Averaging a goal a game and is starting to rack up numbers that are meaningful possessions.

If he gets 15 posessions a game and 1-2 goals, thats all I need from him at this stage.

Most of his posessions are very smart. Will be a 150+ game player for us imo

Rowe's had a very nice few weeks. Really starting to show a steady rate of improvement

Seeing him get quite a bit more of the ball (and using it well) is what's most exciting for me. Proving he's not just a one-trick pony

I’m loving his work last 2 weeks. He’s frustratingly slow defensively, skills aren’t amazing, but he seems to have good poise and decision making, and reasonably clean.

I’m loving his work last 2 weeks. He’s frustratingly slow defensively, skills aren’t amazing, but he seems to have good poise and decision making, and reasonably clean.
Actually, he's pretty skilful. Starting to come along nicely. Don't underestimate his importance in 3 of our 4 wins this year. Kicked two goals each in 3 tight wins against Cats, Suns & Dees.

When I say he doesn’t have amazing skills, I mean for a man his height and athletic level, they aren’t Eddie Betts/Caleb Daniel freakishly good. I’d say he has an adequate skill level, but his poise and decision making make up for that.

Really liking his game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems he's getting up the ground more. Perhaps having Lynch out has resulted in other players having to push higher more often and it turns out you can get by without a designated CONNECTOR that plays exactly like Tom Lynch. Our last 2 weeks have been our best. And he can impact ground ball contests, which is something Lynch can't do and has always been the sole reason that I have wanted to move on from him. Receiving clean ball from half back is far too one dimensional for mine and of very little use in the contested arm wrestle games.

Also, I'm with you, surprised me early and I was on bit I jumped off very quickly. Probably a victim of our instructions to cover for the pressureless forward structure of past weeks as well. Can just go and get the footy now. Turns out he's pretty good at it. Probably said already, but he's morphing into a bit of a Porps to my eye.

I keep thinking he’s a natural footballer, which he is, but I said to my wife last night “What he really is is an EXPERIENCED footballer”. He’s clearly done what he does many times before, not fazed by situations, knows where to be around a ball up, and that turn back against the tide in the middle just before he spots up Fog - clever, based on experience because he knows how football works

I keep thinking he’s a natural footballer, which he is, but I said to my wife last night “What he really is is an EXPERIENCED footballer”. He’s clearly done what he does many times before, not fazed by situations, knows where to be around a ball up, and that turn back against the tide in the middle just before he spots up Fog - clever, based on experience because he knows how football works
And he's only 21. Same as McPherson, Butts and Sholl. Some people have in mind that "mature recruit" means he's mid twenties.

If he gets 15 posessions a game and 1-2 goals, thats all I need from him at this stage.

Most of his posessions are very smart. Will be a 150+ game player for us imo

It's probably all we'll ever need of him, if he gets there.

Half forward is not a high disposal position, and a 30-40 goal forward is also a handy thing to have floating around.

Not sure you can knock his skills. He doesn't laser the ball around Brodie Smith style but he always find a target and puts it to their advantage with well weighted kicks. His work around the ground is excellent

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely. He looks like he feels he belongs at AFL level.now and i thought his game last week where he got more than 20 possessions and a goal was the benchmark he could look to try and set for himself. That sort of output with his skillset will be so valuable. He has had a very encouraging start to his career with us and long may it continue little jimmy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back