Player Watch James Rowe - Delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Always suspected with Jimmy that by his nature (and this is really a symptom of being a small forward) that the better the team is playing the better he's going to look and play and as such, playing in a largely crap team was going to be limiting.

He's an icing on the cake player and when there's no cake, it's going to be pretty thin
Disagree, Jimmy's pretty handy around the clearances so I wouldn't class him necessarily as "just" a small forward , he offers up a bit more than that.

I was having trouble telling Rowe, McHenry and Rachele apart from where I was watching on Sunday. All these small forward types with identical dark pseudo-mullets. Those 3 lads need to sit down and sort it out amongst themselves.

Rachele kicked 5 so he probably gets first dibs on the chosen hairdo. Maybe McHenry can get a sensible short back and sides, and Rowe can go for the Mattingly-I-told-you-to-trim-those-sideburns look. Or perhaps Rowe should demonstrate some respect for our club's long and illustrious history by getting some blonde tips? Been a while since we had one of those going around, other than Atkins' "I just went through a life-changing traumatic experience" look when he just went full white.
All of our team should just get Johnny Unitas haircuts.

Then we wouldn't have anymore issues like last week when we only started in the second half. Can't turn up late when you all have haircuts you can set a watch to

I was having trouble telling Rowe, McHenry and Rachele apart from where I was watching on Sunday. All these small forward types with identical dark pseudo-mullets. Those 3 lads need to sit down and sort it out amongst themselves.

Rachele kicked 5 so he probably gets first dibs on the chosen hairdo. Maybe McHenry can get a sensible short back and sides, and Rowe can go for the Mattingly-I-told-you-to-trim-those-sideburns look. Or perhaps Rowe should demonstrate some respect for our club's long and illustrious history by getting some blonde tips? Been a while since we had one of those going around, other than Atkins' "I just went through a life-changing traumatic experience" look when he just went full white.

or maybe they could put numbers on their back so we know who is who :)

I really don't know what to make of Jimmy

There are obvious positives. He's smart and crafty in traffic, is the best at finding the ball out of all our small forwards, and is generally pretty good with his disposal. However, he's not a great pressure player (can't have too many of these types in your side), and seems to have lost a bit of the goal sense that he had at SANFL level (was better today kicking those two goals)

Does he have a future? I like him and think he's improved the most out of the Rowe/Ned/Murphy trio this year, but I'm genuinely not sure, I find it hard seeing both him and Rachele in the same side long-term

There are obvious positives. He's smart and crafty in traffic, is the best at finding the ball out of all our small forwards, and is generally pretty good with his disposal. However, he's not a great pressure player (can't have too many of these types in your side), and seems to have lost a bit of the goal sense that he had at SANFL level (was better today kicking those two goals)

Does he have a future? I like him and think he's improved the most out of the Rowe/Ned/Murphy trio this year, but I'm genuinely not sure, I find it hard seeing both him and Rachele in the same side long-term
He may not be a long term option, but right now he's best 22. One of the few players with the composure to spot a target inside 50 and the disposal to hit it. Most of our other players seem to favour the "blast it as far as you can and hope for the best" method of going inside 50.

It seems as if talent gets coached out of our young players

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder what is taking so long for the club to sign Jimmy....
Would hardly be a high priority you would have to think, likely he'll have to wait until either very late or after the season is finished when list management have more idea re the draft and where several contracted players are at going forward. It will be interesting what they do with our uncontacted talls as we will be short on tall timber if they're all moved on bar Tex.

Wonder what is taking so long for the club to sign Jimmy....
He's a bit of a Luke Dahlhaus IMO, gets a bit of the ball high up the ground which is good, but he's not overly damaging, and an average shot for goal going at 50% this year. Doesn't offer a lot defensively either. Personally I'd prefer to see someone with a higher ceiling in the team at this stage of our rebuild (Newchurch).

Disagree, Jimmy's pretty handy around the clearances so I wouldn't class him necessarily as "just" a small forward , he offers up a bit more than that.
And I reckon he’s got a bloody good footy head on him. He anticipates well and knows where to go. if he could improve his finishing, it would top it off.

Would hardly be a high priority you would have to think, likely he'll have to wait until either very late or after the season is finished when list management have more idea re the draft and where several contracted players are at going forward. It will be interesting what they do with our uncontacted talls as we will be short on tall timber if they're all moved on bar Tex.
I would guess that Berg and Frampton are moved on, then going with Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Tex and Gollant for next year's forwards.

I suspect the defenders will be Murray, Butts, Doedee, McAsey (could also be forward), and Hinge at a stretch.

You'd have to think that Worrell, Frampton, Berg and Borlase are moved on.

I would guess that Berg and Frampton are moved on, then going with Thilthorpe, Fogarty, Tex and Gollant for next year's forwards.

I suspect the defenders will be Murray, Butts, Doedee, McAsey (could also be forward), and Hinge at a stretch.

You’ve got to have some KPP depth. What we’re left with there means that we’d be lucky to play more than one KPP at each end in the two’s

I think Himm stays (demoted to the rookie list), and possibly Borlase, given he doesn’t affect our overall list spots as a Cat B

Worrell is contracted for 2023 and because we haven't given him AFL exposure would net us very little.

His handling has been disgusting to say the very least after showing enough at SANFL level to suggest there's an AFL player there.

You’ve got to have some KPP depth. What we’re left with there means that we’d be lucky to play more than one KPP at each end in the two’s

I think Himm stays (demoted to the rookie list), and possibly Borlase, given he doesn’t affect our overall list spots as a Cat B
Good point, would we be better to focus on KPPs as our top ups and then draft mids?

Worrell is contracted for 2023 and because we haven't given him AFL exposure would net us very little.

His handling has been disgusting to say the very least after showing enough at SANFL level to suggest there's an AFL player there.
I thought he was OOC this year - well there's our SANFL KPP depth Danger in Texas.

Agree, I really would have like to see him get a few games at AFL level, but there's clearly a reason he's not being played, I'm just not sure what it is!

Good point, would we be better to focus on KPPs as our top ups and then draft mids?
If I were the list manager, I’d be looking to grab three picks in the top 30 this year, somehow, with at least one of those selections being a KPP (preferably using our first on a mid, though)

Otherwise, yeah I think that’s smart

I thought he was OOC this year - well there's our SANFL KPP depth Danger in Texas.

Agree, I really would have like to see him get a few games at AFL level, but there's clearly a reason he's not being played, I'm just not sure what it is!
True. Problem is I’m not sure I see Worrell as a true KPP

Also - I have a weird feeling he’ll be moved on for points for Michalanney. He might get us a pick before 75 at least, whereas I don’t think Himm and Frampton will have any value whatsoever on the open market

Remove this Banner Ad

Back