James Sellar

Remove this Banner Ad

Never showed anything close to AFL level quality. Wouldn't think so.

Beau Dowler would be a better get than this spud.

Could go ok as a CHB somewhere, but needs a reserve team to play him there. At Glenelg he was generally played as a ruckman/forward.

No future as a forward or ruckman in the AFL. I'm surprised the Crows never tried him as a defender before delisting him. Might be worth a shot on the rookie list but still a long shot.

No future as a forward or ruckman in the AFL. I'm surprised the Crows never tried him as a defender before delisting him. Might be worth a shot on the rookie list but still a long shot.
He was tried as a defender... briefly, but then again, most of his stints were brief.
Doubt anyone will pick him.

I wouldn't write him off just yet, but I think a year away from the AFL could do him good.

Needs a year where he's played at one club, in one position, with one master, away from the spotlight and pressure of AFL, where he can learn to enjoy his footy again.

Was probably drafted a few years too young, came into our side with MASSIVE expectations, but without the mental maturity to cope with this.

Seemed to struggle with the concept of having to train with the Crows and then play for Glenelg, especially when Glenelg played him where they needed him, not where was best for his development. He always seemed to be lost, which is not uncommon for "tweener" type players like himself. Not to mention whenever he did seem to be getting a hold of things, he'd get injured.

There's no doubt he's a confidence player. Give him a year at a state league club as either a KPF or a KPD and I think he'll surprise a number of people and will be redrafted. Its just a matter of getting control over those inner demons, he's got the physical tools to be a more than adequate AFL player.

Thought I'd just run through his strengths and weaknesses for those who don't know much about him.

"Strengths":
- His skills for a player of his size are rather good (has a very natural kicking style)
- Strong/Good size for KPP (196cm/98kgs)
- Good shot on goal
- Very quick in a straight line for his size. I remember him chasing down L
- Moves well in traffic too, very comfortable with ball in hand, never seems to be terribly rushed.
- Good enough ruckman to be a reasonable "modern day" 2nd ruck.

"Weaknesses":
- Hasn't found a position
- Isn't exactly agile
- Very much a confidence player
- His game lacks conviction or intensity (Linked to confidence IMO)
- Marking - again he tends to lack conviction when going for a grab, I think its very much a confidence thing. He'll go up for a grab, but just doesn't believe that he can take it and hence he doesn't.

He has a slight chance, but not in 2012. He, like others in a similar situation - highly rated junior who for whatever reason couldn't adapt to the higher level - must go 'back' to a lower competition and prove that he deserves, and is willing to work, for another chance to play AFL football.

From what I have seen and heard thus far, I think that chance is lower for Sellar than a similar player who, maybe wasn't a highly touted junior, but worked hard to get drafted in the first place, but just couldn't make it.

Him and Nathan Ablett are competing for the same wasted list spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From No.1 Draft pick a year or two out before being drafted to being delisted and potentially not picked up again, has there been a bigger slide by any other player?

From No.1 Draft pick a year or two out before being drafted to being delisted and potentially not picked up again, has there been a bigger slide by any other player?

I don't think Mitch Thorp was touted as a number one pick but he was thereabouts, gone now.

I wouldn't waste a rookie spot on him, he's not going to do much at SANFL/VFL/WAFL level, needs to play CHB/FB at AFL level for a season to see if he can make it.

Best case scenario is a poor man's Tom Hawkins or Leigh Brown.

So basically only if a premiership contender was in the market for a relatively versatile 2nd ruck and was already very short.

Kept thinking Carlton wouldn't be the worst place in the world for him but for the fact with Kreuzer, Hampson and Warnock he'd be completely superfluous.

A lot of highly regarded 15 or 16 year old talls don't amount to much. It's one or the reasons we don't draft that young.

So basically only if a premiership contender was in the market for a relatively versatile 2nd ruck and was already very short.
It's why I wouldn't be averse to a rookie spot, because if one of Jolly or Wood go down, then we shouldn't unreasonably expect second year player in the skinny Ceglar to step up, nor first year player in Witts (even if he is a giant).

I reckon Sellar had some okish performances at CHB and would be good depth in that regard too if Reid / Tarrant / Brown were struggling.

Would be good insurance at rookie pick expense for our club, but it's not going to happen though, as I've heard the club doesn't rate him.

He's not an awful shortish second ruck and in a good team can make a handy third tall.

He just makes an atrocious third tall in a poor team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back