James Sicily returns from ACL, Captains the club, signs on for life and wins the PCM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone catch Cornes’ justification?

Basically along the lines of, “Sicilys only role in defence is playing one on one on big forwards, and he was competing with Steven May for that role who we thought had the better year”.

Insane.
Sicily has multiple roles in defence. He goes to the big forward, goes third up to support (by intercept mark or spoil) teammates on their opponents, and also sets up a huge amount of our rebound from defensive 50. He's elite in all 3 roles and could have made the AA team for any of them. In fact he probably should have been named in 3 different backline spots.

Yeah I never really give a s**t who makes AA tbh. It's such a BS award.

Sic not making it though is just an absolute disgrace. Should have been first picked.

Disgusting. An absolute embarrassment on every level.
That’s the thing that gets me. I’ve never really cared at all, and get that it’s a pretty hard thing to get right. There are a bunch of guys who are all worthy who miss out every year.

But this is such a howler, it reeks of the same “he’s a flog” perceptive bias that a whole bunch of people in media, and clearly umpires as well have with this bloke.

Yep definitely a we dont like Sicily and he is an arsehole for the win. There are no other reasons let alone valid reasons for leaving him out.
And let's be honest compared to some of the dirty sniping crap other All Australians have got up to on the field (Toby Green, Tom Hawkins and Chris Judd I am looking in your general direction) Sic is actually a very fair player in comparison.

He is so good he doesn't need to resort to dirty tricks although given he does enjoy some gamesmanship like ripping off Naughtons headband but personally I love that s..t.

And let's be honest compared to some of the dirty sniping crap other All Australians have got up to on the field (Toby Green, Tom Hawkins and Chris Judd I am looking in your general direction) Sic is actually a very fair player in comparison.

He is so good he doesn't need to resort to dirty tricks although given he does enjoy some gamesmanship like ripping off Naughtons headband but personally I love that s..t.
I laughed my ass off when he ripped the headband off

Did anyone catch Cornes’ justification?

Basically along the lines of, “Sicilys only role in defence is playing one on one on big forwards, and he was competing with Steven May for that role who we thought had the better year”.

Insane.
So he solely played on the biggest forward all year and still led the comp for defensive intercept possessions, and conceded as few goals as May, despite the team conceding heaps more i50? Even more amazing.

How many Brownlow medalists have failed to make AA?

If you are suggesting Sicily would win the Brownlow his odds would be anywhere from $500-$1,000 - so get on that quick!

If you are suggesting Sicily would win the Brownlow his odds would be anywhere from $500-$1,000 - so get on that quick!
Yeah, it was a tongue-in-cheek joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's crazy how many players come firing back after ACL's these days, Gawn, Petracca, Gray, Naitanui. Still very much a sign of perseverance and hard work though. Sammy would know a thing or two about random ass players getting AA selections over you despite being the best at what you do in the comp, but a best and fairest means more imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back