James Sicily

Remove this Banner Ad

Gee tough crowd in here.
Sicily's had a stellar second half of the year, he has one bad game and everyone's jumped in to smack him.

Give him a chance, people, he's just a kid.

He and the club will learn from this.

Disagree - don't think many have smacked him at all. Been more of the "he'll learn from it" and lamb is w***er than posters having a go at Sis

It is quite bizarre that players of clubs can come out in the media about targetting opposition players, but then the umpires give them free reign to do exactly that.

There were multiple times on Saturday night that Sicily was hit into from behind or elbowed, which should have received an immediate free kick against, yet they did nothing.

It is quite bizarre that players of clubs can come out in the media about targetting opposition players, but then the umpires give the free reign to do exactly that.

There were multiple times on Saturday night that Sicily was hit into from behind or elbowed, which should have received an immediate free kick against, yet they did nothing.
Yep and we did that a lot if we can dish it we can take it

Watching Sis cop that all game and only get Brand fly the flag once made me think of what the Rat said on Open Mike about Derm being a protector of sorts.
Then after the game I thought about what Clarko said...sure it's a great learning curve for Sis, but how about Clarko sending a learning curve out to Lamb and his fellow band of annoying Billy Hunts......s**t I miss our 'unsociable' ways.

Watching Sis cop that all game and only get Brand fly the flag once made me think of what the Rat said on Open Mike about Derm being a protector of sorts.
Then after the game I thought about what Clarko said...sure it's a great learning curve for Sis, but how about Clarko sending a learning curve out to Lamb and his fellow band of annoying Billy Hunts......s**t I miss our 'unsociable' ways.

Hodge came in quite a bit as surprisingly so did Gunners

Clarkson would have contacted the umpires this week, I have no doubt.

Not that it should need to be pointed out to them.

Glass as well. Would've loved to have seen Kiwi in, he would've made sure he was in their faces.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
And would've given away about 4 free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I agree. He was screwed by the umpires all night. There were two obvious arm chops, that wrestle on the goal line should of been let go, I am pretty sure I saw his eye being gouged too.

Lamb gets a little shot in off the ball? "Nice work Jed thats a good plan from Carlton"
Sicily does the same? "FREE KICK"

He really reigned it in in the second half, hardly even shifted when Lamb ruffled his hair.

He is full of campaigner, you don't train that out of players. He is also a kid, he'll channel that better as he gets older.
Defensive forwards will always niggle and push, but in my opinion Lamb, and friends were way over the limit. I know Sis should have handled himself better, but he is still young, and should have gotten some help from the umpires, as I'm sure Murphy would have if Howe's tactics were as aggressive. The MRP must have missed the eye-gouge, it was definitely there.

How good is Sis that he is getting tagged and scragged 7 games into his Half Back career?
This.. We have ourselves a genuine intercept marking gun down back and he's only really just learning how to play there and already getting tagged.
I said this in another thread that im glad that he got targeted and it played out like it did so the club and siss can learn to deal with it before it happens in a big final or something (not that the Carlton game wasn't important).
Forget Lever we need to sign this kid up, he'll be a better version.

This.. We have ourselves a genuine intercept marking gun down back and he's only really just learning how to play there and already getting tagged.
I said this in another thread that im glad that he got targeted and it played out like it did so the club and siss can learn to deal with it before it happens in a big final or something (not that the Carlton game wasn't important).
Forget Lever we need to sign this kid up, he'll be a better version.
Im not convinced he'll be better than Lever but the kid is very talented just needs some time to mature. Clarko understands the best way to deal with him and I'm glad he left him in the back line on the weekend to teach him a few lessons about self control and self discipline. I think in teaching terms it would go something like 'discovery learning'. Some can't be told, they have to experience the situation to learn.

Clarkson would have contacted the umpires this week, I have no doubt.

Not that it should need to be pointed out to them.

But would it achieve anything? Schwaby has shown a distinct dislike of Hawthorn Both as the current AFL Director of Umpiring and when Chairman of the Match Review Panel 2005 to 2007.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-19/three-key-issues-for-umpires-as-preseason-competition-ap

"BACK for the second time as the AFL's director of umpiring, Peter Schwab has outlined a few key priorities with the pre-season competition now less than a month away.

Most recently the list manager for the Brisbane Lions, the three-time Hawthorn premiership player and coach was the umpires boss for two years from 1998.

Schwab told SEN on Thursday that his initial focus will be to bed down the three major changes to interpretations in 2017 – deliberate rushed behinds, the ban on the third-man up at ruck contests and the tighter call on high tackles.

"You'll find it's a lot stricter," he said of the deliberate rushed behinds interpretation.

"If a player has had the opportunity to clear the ball and dispose of it to someone else, but chooses not to do it and it goes through the goal line then you'll find they're going to be penalised.

Schwab said defenders under extreme pressure would still be afforded some leeway. He also said a nine-metre zone will come into play and "if you kick or handball it through you'll be penalised.

"It will take some time and adjustment, but it will be obvious watching the game there has been a change."

Schwab forecast an adjustment period for players and umpires following the banning of the third-man up at ruck contests.

"The umpires need to be clear on who is contesting the ruck,
(Why?) and you don't want the game delayed for too long because of that.

"Are we going to wait for someone to take the throw in or the ball up? We'll have to work through that one logistically, but I don't think it will be an issue," he said.

One quirk that has already been identified is the occasional boundary throw-in where the ball falls short of the waiting ruckman. In that instance, Schwab said no player would be able to contest the ball until it hit the ground.

Schwab inherits a department that is as well-resourced and structured as ever. He said trials with a fourth field umpire would continue, but the move wouldn't be made permanent until there were enough competent umpires and it made sense financially.

"You (also) need evidence to suggest that the fourth umpire will increase decisional accuracy to the point where it needs to be brought in," he said.

The clamour for full-time umpires also continues, although Schwab created the strong impression that he was not a fan.

"I'm more inclined to ask what is the best amount of time for us to have access to the umpires in order to achieve the best results on the weekend.

"Two full days or three half days should be our thinking on that rather than a Monday-Friday regardless," he said.

Schwab also forecast a strong focus on communication with clubs and the media.

"We have to have dialogue with our clubs because ultimately we are providing a service and we want that to be as strong as it can be," he said.

"And you shouldn't hide away from engaging the media because then you're engaging with the public."

What a load of waffle.

Look at the issues he is going to concentrate on and where is engaging with the media because then you're engaging with the public occurring? The Umpires are hidden from the public during the week and any media talk is extremely favorable to the Umpires
which is because they have to be to retain their AFL propaganda license.

The umpiring is the worst I have seen. Even worse than Schwabe's coaching career at Hawthorn. Geelong is still the darling of Umpires and the AFL and media in general. Umpires are simply bad to atrocious but in addition to their usual faults they are now umpiring on emotion as evidenced by their approval of the assault on Sicily. That was disgusting. Will they be disciplined or held to account...Nah

What happened last week can only be described as a cowardly assault by both Bolten and Lamb. No doubt Big Footy members are having a big laugh at Hawthorn supporters and at Sicily. What they need to remember is that last week it was Sicily and once again Hawthorn but someday the wheel may turn and one of their players will cop the same treatment as Sicily. Should we then laugh at them...no! we should support their disgust.

Yeah, I know Schwab was a Hawthorn champion and one of the best HBFs I have seen. But I now judge him on current performances.

But would it achieve anything?
For the sake of a few words it would be beneficial to find out if the treatment Sicily copped is acceptable for other clubs like us to dish out to opposition players in the future. I'd expect that would trigger enough self reflection in the umpires department for them to say "no, it's not" and that it would be backed up by not allowing it to happen again to him in the future.

A tactical enquiry rather than a Scott brother whinge.

So Sicily gets s fine for retaliating and hitting Lamb, yet that prick constantly antagonised Sicily including a gutless bump in the back behind play and gets nothing. The MRP should stick it in their arse.

I don't know much about Jimmy Bartel, but my opinion of him has risen since he decided to walk-out on the MRP, citing it needed a "major overhaul".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back