Delisted #17: James Stewart - Will be delisted despite having a year on his contract - 24/8

Remove this Banner Ad

James Stewart has spoken on his move from GWS to Essendon.

"I watch a bit of footy and I saw how competitive Essendon were last year and I think with the players coming back it's going to be a really strong outfit," Stewart said.

"It's an extremely exciting time, the place is going to be buzzing and I'm rapt to be a part of that going forward.

"I was really excited with the list that they've got as well and obviously the amazing facilities they've got out here at Tullamarine.

"There are so many positives and in the end I felt it was a really good fit for me."

Really like this trade. I would have been prepared to give up pick 41 for Stewart (especially once we talked in him into nominating Essendon).

His game clearly has its deficiencies which, big or small, kept him behind three quality AFL key forwards in Cameron, Patton and Lobb at GWS.

I am much more interested in what he can do than what he cant. He's as athletic as the come for a 196cm guy who is built like a key position player (as opposed to being a stick figure). He kicks the ball beautifully and is a natural footballer (rather than just being a tall guy that can run). According to a profile done by Knightmare in his draft year Stewart was playing in defence and looked good.

I am very interested that he has been taken on with an eye to playing as a forward immediately. He compliments our forward set up alongside Hooker or Bellchambers together with Daniher very well.

For pick 77 I see only positives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back