Senior James Tunstill (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

James Tunstill is prepared to go the extra mile for his footy career.

The Lions’ final selection in the 2021 NAB AFL Draft spent the past year doing the 450km round trip from his Busselton home in the Southwest of Western Australia to Perth to play footy.

Each week he’d make the trip to turn out for either WAFL Club East Perth or the WA State 19s side.

It was only his first full season in an elite program, and it seemed to the many scouts who tracked his progressed that his game developed on a weekly basis.

The 41st pick in the draft has made a name for himself as a hard-working midfielder capable of breaking lines with his run and carry and also his attacking ball use.

EAST PERTH midfielder James Tunstill has enjoyed a solid season at WAFL Colts level, earning selection in the West Australian Under 19’s State Squad and seeing his side finish top three at season’s end. Tunstill has made a name for himself as a hard working midfielder capable of breaking opposition lines with his carry and kicking. In Saturday’s do-or-die final against East Fremantle, Tunstill stood up to be a major ball winner in the Royals’ midfield.

POCKET PROFILE
James Tunstill East Perth/Western Australia
DOB: 18/07/2003 (18-years-old) Height: 185cmWeight: 76kg
Position: Midfielder
2021 Averages: WAFL Colts (15 games)
21.6 disposals | 14.3 kicks | 7.3 handballs | 3.3 marks | 3.2 tackles | 4.9 inside 50s | 0.4 goals (6 total)

James Tunstill a current Year 12 student has had a busy year of school with preparation for ATAR exams as well as playing Australian Rules Football in the West Australian Football League.

“During the season, I train two to three times a week, depending on whether the state program is running. If the state program is going on, then I will train Monday nights in Boyanup, Tuesday and Thursday nights in Perth if we’re playing a state game on the weekend, but it certainly changes every week.”

“I utilise any spare time I have to get on top of my studies. It is something that I have had to improve on and get better at. Being organised is essential to getting through Year 12, especially with extra commitments,” said James.

James is grateful for the support from his teachers at School throughout the year saying, “My teachers have been really understanding of my situation. I am really thankful for their guidance and help throughout the year. They are prepared to do the extra work which is really encouraging.”

The draft hopeful is patiently waiting for next year’s draft to be announced, but he also has a solid back-up plan.

“If I get picked up (for the Australian Football League) then that sorts me out for next year, but if I don’t then I intend to move up to Perth. I received an early offer at UWA for Sport Science, so that is sort of Plan B. I want to move closer to my WAFL club, East Perth, as well.”

“I definitely want to play AFL footy. It is something that I have dreamt of as a kid, so to realise that dream would be unreal. Fulfilling whatever potential is important to me. I don’t want to have any regrets so if I give it a good crack then I can be proud of that,” added James.

Article paywalled...

From Busselton to Brisbane, James Tunstill will start his new life as a Lion on Sunday after realising his AFL dream during the week. The hard-working East Perth midfielder was one of 16 West Aussies picked up across the national and rookie drafts, going to Brisbane with their final pick and 41st overall in what he considers a “lucky” club to join.

Tunstill a classy inside mid who models his game on Adam Cerra, was excited to learn from one of the most well-rounded midfield brigades in the AFL. After a hectic juggling act with school in Bunbury, living and working in Busselton and driving up for WAFL colts training and matches multiple times a week, Tunstill feels like the hard yards he put in has all been worth it. “It’s a mixture of excitement and relief for the work that not only I put in but my mum and dad and family and friends, they’ve all come along for the ride,” Tunstill said. “For everyone involved, it was a really great moment and it’s quite awesome."

“For me personally, I’m just very grateful for Brisbane picking me and grateful for everyone’s help along the way. Lachie Neale, Hugh McCluggage, Dayne Zorko and the Berry brothers (Jarrod and Thomas), there’s a lot of players I’m excited to meet and work with,” Tunstill said. “I’m really lucky to go to Brisbane I think.”

Unlike most of WA’s interstate draftees, the 18-year-old gets a pre-Christmas training block with his new teammates instead of relocating in the New Year. Tunstill will be living with fellow country lad Kalin Lane, a towering mid-season draftee from the Great Southern via Claremont. “It will be good to get settled early on and when I go back after Christmas, it will be all a bit more familiar,” he said. “I’ve still got a bit to sort out but I’m really looking forward to getting over there straight away.”

Tunstill spoke with Brisbane earlier in the week and recruiting boss Stephen Conole visited his family’s Busselton home mid-season, but was still unsure if they were going to draft him. “They were probably in the top two or three clubs in terms of interest so when it got to pick 41 I was hopeful and luckily enough it was me,” Tunstill said.

Tunstill is hoping he can thrive in a settled, full-time AFL environment after training in multiple locations and spending countless hours in the car in his final year of colts and doing the 450km Busselton-to-Perth roundtrip regularly. “To think that I’ll be close to training and settled down with footy just being the main thing, I think there’s a real opportunity there to thrive in that environment as a player,” he said.

So a choice of 01, 14, 32 and 38 for Kai.
How did we end up with so many numbers left over?
Guys like Kalin and Oscar getting high numbers and not moving in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane Cruise to Third Straight Win

Jimmy Tunstill was also among the best for Brisbane, with Head Coach Mitch Hahn commending the youngster on his development.

“Jimmy Tunstill’s been really good for us,” he said.

“We’re really liking the way he gets out of contests and uses his speed. He’s played forward, wing and mid this year which has given him some great learning.

“He’s had some really tough contests and has a great work ethic, we’re excited about his development and how’s he progressing.”

Four Young Guns Extend

First-year players Tunstill and Wilmot added a further two years onto their original two-year contracts to commit until the end of 2025.

First-year players Wilmot and Tunstill have both had flying starts to their careers at the Lions with solid performances in the VFL this season.

Tunstill’s smart ball use and competitive nature has seen him get plenty of ball as a versatile and hard-running midfielder, while Wilmot has shown plenty of energy and promise in the Lions’ defensive unit.

Five Must Watch Players in the VFL

First-year player Tunstill has had a flying start to his career as a Lion, putting together a string of solid performances in the VFL this season so far.

A competitive and versatile midfielder with high football IQ, Tunstill has brought energy and drive to the Lions reserve side.

“Jimmy’s been fantastic for us so far this season,” Hahn said.

“We’ve been able to give him a variety of roles, as an inside-mid, as a forward, and over the last few weeks as a winger.

“He brings this gut-running and intensity to his game. We’ve seen his ability to get involved and hit the scoreboard, and when you combine that with his toughness and drive to succeed, he’s definitely impressed us so far this season.”

Roaring again: Lions storm home as Dogs' finals hopes take a hit

A couple of first goals in the AFL

Bulldogs debutant Dom Bedendo and Lions' second-gamer Jimmy Tunstill both had nights to remember. Bedendo, playing largely on a wing after being taken at No.55 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft, acquitted himself well, finishing with 11 disposals and a memorable second-quarter moment. The teenager slotted a 45m set shot to send his teammates rushing from everywhere to celebrate. Tunstill, who debuted seven days ago against Melbourne, had his moment in the third quarter after taking a lovely left foot Charlie Cameron pass on his chest. The young Lion then calmly went back and kicked his set shot arrow straight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back