James & Wilson out

Remove this Banner Ad

James to miss Saints clash
PortAdelaideFC.com.au Thu 12 June, 2003

The sublimely skilled Roger James will miss the Power’s Round 12 clash with St Kilda in Launceston due to tendonitis in his adductor muscle.

The Power also lost tough defender Michael Wilson with a hamstring but regained Damien Hardwick (corked thigh) and Che Cock atoo-Collins (back).

James has been playing with the adductor tendonitis this season but the match committee decided he wouldn’t play this week based on doctors advice and an expected heavy surface at York Park.

James has played ten consecutive matches after missing Round 1 with groin soreness.

Only seven Power players have played every game so far this year. They are Byron Pickett, Kane Cornes, Gavin Wanganeen, Nick Stevens, Stephen Paxman, Stuart Cochrane and Shaun Burgoyne.

Creative forward Che Cockatoo-Collins will give St Kilda an extra headache or two as they plan their defensive match-ups. Cocky missed last week’s win over Fremantle due to suffering back spasms a week earlier in his 150th AFL match against Collingwood.

Power defender (and part time column writer), Damien Hardwick, has been a late withdrawal from the last two Power sides. Hardwick suffered a corked thigh in the match against his former club Essendon in Round 9 and wasn’t quite able to prove his fitness in time since then.

Hardwick said (with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek) in a recent edition of his Power website column Cankles’ Corner that “a lesser man would have needed their leg amputated above the knee” in reference to his corky but assured readers he expected to play this week in “sunny Tassie”.

The Power players leave for Tasmania (stopping over in Melbourne) on Friday morning and will have a look at the York Park venue in Launceston that afternoon.

Meanwhile St Kilda lost three players through injury from the team that knocked off the first-placed Brisbane Lions last weekend. Captain and strong utility Aaron Hamill is out with a foot injury, while ruckman Trent Knobel will miss many weeks with a neck injury. The Saints also lost former Bulldogs key defender Luke Penny with a knee injury.

Knobel’s loss leaves the Saints short on ruckmen after losing former Power-listed player Barry Brooks last week with a knee reconstruction and sacking two-time premiership ruckman Matthew Capuano two weeks ago.

To help cover that loss, the Saints called upon 195cm Chris Oliver, along with Jason Blake and 18-year-old Matthew Ferguson for his first AFL game.

The two sides to meet at York Park in Launceston from 1:10pm (EST) on Saturday are as follows:

PORT ADELAIDE

Backs: Poulton, Wakelin, Kingsley

Half Backs: Wanganeen, Paxman, Montgomery

Centreline: Schofield, Stevens, K. Cornes

Half Forwards: P. Burgoyne, Tredrea, Pickett

Forwards: Salopek, Cornes, S. Burgoyne

Followers: Lade, Hardwick, Carr

Interchange: Brogan, Cassisi, Cochrane, Cockatoo-Collins

Emergencies: Hall, Morgan, Koulouriotis

IN: Cockatoo-Collins, Hardwick

OUT: Wilson (hamstring), James (adductor)

ST KILDA

Back: Baker, Schwarze, Lawrence

Half Backs: Peckett, Maguire, Jones

Centreline: Clarke, Hayes, Black

Half Forwards: Goddard, Riewoldt, Burke

Forwards: Milne, Gehrig, Murray

Followers: Oliver, Harvey, Powell

Interchange: Voss, Ferguson, Blake, Moyle

Emergencies: Fisher, Dal Santo, Montagna

IN: Blake, Ferguson, Oliver

OUT: Hamill (foot), Knobel (neck), Penny (knee)

NEW: Matthew Ferguson (18yo). 187cm, 81kg. Heyfield/Gippsland U18.

Once again some handy outs for both teams. As mentioned hopefully Salopek will get an extended run in the centre, did some good things v Freo and should get a good run this week.

Definitely wouldn't waste Salopek in the forward lines like Collingwood are doing with Didak. He played a central part in about 4 goals against Freo. Put him in the forward lines and he may get a couple of goals but it wold be more likely that he'd just be blanketed.

Originally posted by Eago77
Once again some handy outs for both teams. As mentioned hopefully Salopek will get an extended run in the centre, did some good things v Freo and should get a good run this week.

Let us not forget Domenic.

Originally posted by Guey_34
Let us not forget Domenic.

Yep Dom needs a good game soon before a few guys come back after the week off otherwise he may well find himself on the outer come the end of the year when some tough decisions have to be made.

Originally posted by _espoir
i agree! his time is soon...
..but maybe not this week. If either Morgan or Koula make it off the emergency list, no one gets any points in the debut game, which would be saddening.

I hope Cassisi gets a good go.

Originally posted by Porthos
..but maybe not this week. If either Morgan or Koula make it off the emergency list, no one gets any points in the debut game, which would be saddening.

I hope Cassisi gets a good go.
Could always give the points on a "line of best fit' basis. :D

I've got Round 13 for Koula and I'm quietly confident.

I like Dom's chance for a Rising Star nomination this week. If he gets a chance that is.

Hardwick won't play on the ball as well. He may start in for the bounces but will slip back onto a half back flank/loose man type roll. Kingas for a run on the ball when we require old heads running past the packs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by sog35
Hardwick won't play on the ball as well. He may start in for the bounces but will slip back onto a half back flank/loose man type roll. Kingas for a run on the ball when we require old heads running past the packs.

I think it might be a bit of an in-house joke having Hardwick named as a follower......

Originally posted by dreamkillers
I think it might be a bit of an in-house joke having Hardwick named as a follower......
Either that or an attempt to put the wind up Harvey.

Originally posted by sog35
I suppose naming Kinga week after week is the same thing dk? :D

To some of us yes........:D

Whilst I'm a bit of a Kingsley critic my main concern with him is when he is deep in defence as that is when his in-decisiveness has cost us at times.........

Kingsley will be the Norm Smith medallist.

Whilst I'm a bit of a Kingsley critic my main concern with him is when he is deep in defence as that is when his in-decisiveness has cost us at times.........
No truer words spoken.
He has done very well many times running through the midfield, but deep in defence...................I'll stop here as there might be kids reading this.

Originally posted by Porthos
Kingsley will be the Norm Smith medallist.
Not beyond him...............if he plays in the midfield only.
He turned a showdown for us last year.

Originally posted by Pred
Pffft. In the Grand Final between the Intellectually Challenged and the Terminally Indecisive?
Er...whichever one of those is Port Adelaide.

Dimma often starts the game in the centre square. He doesn't stay in there for very long though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back