Jamie Bennel - Swan Districts

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if/how he's related to John. I think he's from Bunbury and travels up with Nev Jetta and a few others to play for the Swans colts every week.

When I saw him play during finals he looked like he was mainly playing a janitor-style role mopping up in defence (looking at his stats seems like he can forward too). Was fairly quiet in the first two, but had a very good GF.

Things that stood out about him were: very clean ball handling/control below the knees, creative, above average pace and lateral movement (not as quick/agile as John), has some aggro (as most the young Swans tend to) and was hitting his targets by hand and foot. One of the regulars was saying he's a bit of a front runner (only plays well when the team is up and going).

Got a SS invite and would be a decent chance for a 'lateish' pick-rookie spot perhaps.

chrsco could probably add more as he'd have seen a lot more than me.

I didnt know that you could speak into your own ear?

Whats his measurements like?

I have a magical football scout living in my ear:eek:

I think he's only 175cm and 71kg
In the state screening he ran 2.92 20m
Has a running VJ reach of 329cm!!
Got about 8.30 in the agility test
Beep was only 12.6 or something but that can be worked on

Not sure if/how he's related to John. I think he's from Bunbury and travels up with Nev Jetta and a few others to play for the Swans colts every week.

When I saw him play during finals he looked like he was mainly playing a janitor-style role mopping up in defence (looking at his stats seems like he can forward too). Was fairly quiet in the first two, but had a very good GF.

Things that stood out about him were: very clean ball handling/control below the knees, above average pace and lateral movement (not as quick/agile as John), has some aggro (as most the young Swans tend to) and was hitting his targets by hand and foot. One of the regulars was saying he's a bit of a front runner (only plays well when the team is up and going).

Got a SS invite, but you'd probably want a little more going for you when you're a skinny, sub 180 to get taken in the ND. Would be a decent chance for a rookie spot perhaps.

chrsco could probably add more as he'd have seen a lot more than me.

Thanks for that TBU, from what you've seen would you like us to Rookie list him?? I recon the whole height thing is too much of an issue IMO, with all these 190cm athletes running around it should be harder for them to get round the hips of a nippy 175cm small forward. Lots of free kicks in front of goal;)

I have a magical football scout living in my ear:eek:

I think he's only 175cm and 71kg
In the state screening he ran 2.92 20m
Has a running VJ reach of 329cm!!
Got about 8.30 in the agility test
Beep was only 12.6 or something but that can be worked on

State Screening has him as
178.5cm 68.2kg
20m 2.99
Standing Vertical Jump 59cm
Running Vertical Jump 79cm
Agility 8.34
Beep Test 13.2

State Screening has him as
178.5cm 68.2kg
20m 2.99
Standing Vertical Jump 59cm
Running Vertical Jump 79cm
Agility 8.34
Beep Test 13.2

I have Bennel and Bennel on my stat sheet with no 1st initials so I took a punt.... Looks like I had the wrong one, whats your opinion on either of the Bennel boys Streaker??

I have Bennel and Bennel on my stat sheet with no 1st initials so I took a punt.... Looks like I had the wrong one, whats your opinion on either of the Bennel boys Streaker??

Johnny is definitely the better of the two and should be taken within the top 40. Jamie is rookie list material at best.

I seen jamie play for carey park leauge side in the swfl and he come 4th in the best and fairest count. He was a star in the grand final and along with frank quartermaine and clint garlett turned the game in the third quarter. He kicked 2 goals and 20 odd possessions when moved in the midfield and was nearly best afield after starting at half back. He was all australian in the westfarmers country championships. He was also all australian in the australian country championships the only player under 21 to make it. He won the swfl rising star and is very bit as good as chris yarran. I have no doubt that if he had played leauge for swans he would have done better than chris yarran as he is a hard worker and no where near as lazy. Clint garlett and frank quartermaine are also just as good if not better than yarran and they are quick and have clean skills an along with bennell are clearly to good for the swfl. Mind you the swfl won the westfarmers country championships and is the best leauge outside the wafl and has a huge amount of former wafl players.

LOL bias much, lecca!

If these guys are just as good as Yarran then I'll be expecting them to go 1st round in the draft before him then, OK :rolleyes:

You have no idea Lecca

I went to the SS in WA and didnt know which one was Johnny Bennell but Jamie was there they look very similar. One was wearing Swan district shorts so i thought that was therfore Jamie. He is a good size both in weight and height. Wouldve been close to 180 i reckon and 178 sounds abotu right. Was built solidly na dhad muscle definition. I heard some Claremont coaches talking about him i think it was Jamie that he turned a game against them and that they couldnt stop him once he went into the midfield. He got every hard ball and clearnace at of the midfield and was easily the quickest over the ground. They were saying that as no other player moved as fast as him in a match that they had seen in colts. I think showed enough at the SS to be a late draft pick and certain rookie.

Johnny Bennell watched him against NSW at Subi he kicked 4 or 5 goals and was probably 2nd best on ground behind M.Walters in my view. He didnt do any further damage in the state catnival and only played 2 games i think. He will be a late draft pick and certain rookie spot. Both Freo and WCE will look to use their last round picks and early rookie picks (2 and 3 to either get these guys or C.A.Johnson). In my view Jamie Bennell will go further with his footy and is more committed and dedicated.

Bo9th have huge leaps and plenty of X factor. Jamie is taller than Johnny though.

Jamie Bennell being a Bunbury boy and Lecca aswell it seems a little suspicious!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well jgb99 sounds like u might b abit biased refering to your rioli yarran thread, sounds like your a yarran fan. Did u not watch him in the wafl finals? He is one of the lazziest players i have ever seen. Its a joke that he is even mensioned as a top 10 pic. Jamie and frank probaly spent to much time at carey park and not enough at swans to get drafted. The draft scouts arnt gonna notice them in bunbury r they even tho that dominate.For some of the season they were playing 2 games a weekend sat at swans colts and sun at carey park leauge while living in bunbury. If they had spent the full year at swans and trained with swans they would have been playing swans leauge b4 yarran. Clint spent abit more time at swans than the others but also travellling up to play swans colts and then playing leauge sunday. But he made the under 18s them but got injured so didnt play in the carnival. but he should gave done enough to get drafted.

I watched him in the finals mate, he was poor in the GF I admit, but he was certainly an important part of both the Swans Elim final and Prelim Final wins which got them there. Since you're so insistent on the fact, tell me, how exactly is Yarran lazy? Recruiters nation-wide consider him a massive talent and a first round certainty. How can I be biased when I'm not even a Swans fan?

If the kids wanted to get drafted, why were they playing 2x a week and why didn't they spend the full year training at the Swans?

Lecca, I rate all the boys you're talking about. Jamie caught my attention late in the year where he started putting some very good games together. But to call Yarran lazy is getting a little tiresome for me. Did you see his change in build between colts last year and league this year? Him and Naita spent a fair amount of their summer break in Swans gym to get their bodies ready for the WAFL. Add to this that Chris is still only 17, and was 17 for the whole WAFL season and could have been playing colts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back