Past Jamie Charman (2001-2011)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jonathan Brown pays tribute to retiring Lions clubmate Jamie Charman
  • Jonathan Brown
  • August 04, 2011 8:52AM
You can't begin to understand what Charmo has been through, playing three senior games in his past three years. Yet, if you didn't know and had seen him around the club, you would've thought he was on top of the world.

He's been the unofficial leader of team spirit and has done an incredible job enticing young blokes out of their shell and making them feel part of the club - a huge job in a young group.

There's been no job too small or too menial for the 2003 premiership team member when he was injured, and nobody who hasn't benefited from his selfless input. Simply, he made it fun to go to work.

charman.jpg

Would like to see Charmo get life membership.

He falls short of the 150 game requirement but the club has made exceptions in the past to this (Clark Keating and Brad Scott).

Premiership player and great long serving clubman. Deserves his name on the honour board.

Interesting that despite all his recent injuries he's played the 5th most amount of games for the Lions out of all the players on the current list. Shows how inexperienced the current squad is.

Would like to see Charmo get life membership.

He falls short of the 150 game requirement but the club has made exceptions in the past to this (Clark Keating and Brad Scott).

Premiership player and great long serving clubman. Deserves his name on the honour board.

Great post. 100% agree :thumbsu:

Jamie Charman Den Diaries

Having been ‘retired’ now for the past month, I can safely say that I’ve gotten through the range of emotions that are associated with it.

There was that initial sense of frustration with my body which was mixed with the obvious feelings of uncertainty. But then I finally came to the realisation that it was time.

What was most difficult was standing in front of my team-mates, guys who I’ve spent almost every waking moment with for the past ten years, and telling them that I was no longer going to be part of the team. It was a pretty emotional moment.

But not long afterwards, I got a huge sense of relief and excitement. I knew straight away that I had made the right decision and immediately started looking forward to the next stage of my life.

charman9.jpg

Charman looks fantastic in that jumper!

I think he should seriously consider coming Melbourne to play at Fitzroy. We need a coach for 2012 and I think Charman would make a great playing coach. :D

Simon Black

Black also took an opportunity to formally farewell two of his best mates at the Lions who announced their retirement at season’s end - Jamie Charman and Luke Power.

“Charmo, I’m very proud to call you my friend. There hasn’t been a day that you haven’t made me laugh around the Club.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Charman’s final address
1:34 PM Fri 16 Sep, 2011

Charman started by recounting his first senior game - a performance which former Senior Coach Leigh Matthews apparently labelled the “worst debut ever”.

“I’d really like to thank Leigh for picking me up,” Charman said.

“The Club had a Queensland Priority Pick in those days and the recruiting officers didn’t rate me. But Leigh pushed hard and helped get me drafted to the Lions.”

charman.jpg

2011 End of Season Review

by Gibbo 88

2010 review

Games: 0
Emergency: 0
Dreamteam: 0 points; $97,600
Supercoach: 0 points; $110,200
NEAFL:
Games - 1
Goals - 1

Farewell to another premiership player and time for 3KZ to drive another player's bandwagon :p

All year the injury reports on Charman were that he was building up his running and strength and many lions fans were hopeful that we would get to see one of the fan favourites make a return to senior team. Unfortunately it was not to be, after having surgery after the 2010 season he was hoping to be ready to return to playing reserves early in the year but his ankle did not respond as quickly as he had hoped for. He was aiming for a round 10 return to full training but had a few more setbacks before finally returning for half a game to the reserves in round 17 of the NEAFL against the suns reserves.

A couple of days later he announced his retirement after he pulled up sore from the game and realised his body wasn't quite up to it anymore. Charman was involved in the coaching of the ruck department for a lot of the year and Leuenberger has credited Charman for his development which says a lot considering the year he had. Some of the highlights of Jamie's career were 21 possessions against the Bulldogs in 2007 and his 3 goals against West coast in 2007 and Carlton in 2006 along with him crashing into any ruckman. You can tell from the tributes that Brown and Black gave him after his retirement that he was an entertaining character and he will be missed dearly around the locker room.

On a personal note, I have met Jamie a number of times and he's one of the friendliest guys you will ever meet and is always up for a chat. Unfortunately for Jamie because he hasn't played over 150 games he will not get a farewell at the AFL grand final along with Bradshaw which he deserves. I wish Jamie all the best for the next stage in his life.

charman.jpg

Malcolm Holmes

"Jamie has been a great mentor to our young ruckmen for a number of years now, and we are thrilled to have someone of his knowledge and experience join our staff," Holmes said.

"Not only that, he has been an outstanding Club representative over the past 11 years and has formed exceptional relationships with players, staff, members and Club partners alike."

"Jamie will be a very valuable addition to both our coaching and corporate departments."

Retired ruckman Jamie Charman has new position at Brisbane Lions
  • by: Andrew Hamilton
  • November 21, 2011 7:52PM
AMIE Charman was a hard man on the field and a gentleman off it and Brisbane has found the perfect way to harness his two distinct personality traits.
"This dual role suits me perfectly. "I'll be able to get out there and compete.
"I'm still fit enough to be able to do that and the best ruck coaches I've had are the ones that are fit enough to go against you.
"That is really important, especially for younger players."

jamiecharman.jpg

Clearly Brisbane now has the greatest ruck coach in the AFL and I would be expecting Leuenberger to now make the transition from good to great. I suspect that under Jamie Charman's tutelage a Brownlow is in the offing for Leuenberger.

Given his skills as a communicator and complete understanding of the game, I see Charman playing a pivotal role at Brisbane in 2012 and beyond. No doubt any club that is looking for a new senior coach will "come knocking" next year and beyond, so I suggest signing Charman up to a big money open ended transition deal a la Nathan Buckley / Mick Malthouse, so that our coaching future is assured.

After some minor modifications and remodelling, the Jamie Charman bandwagon is still rolling.

1.6mil, four year contract should ensure Charman is happy at the Lions.

Maybe training session appearance bonuses should also be considered.

:eek: Is that all? How are we going to keep him when the big money offers start rolling in from the likes of Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood?

I'm starting to fret now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back