Bumped Jamie Elliott can become elite

Remove this Banner Ad

That goal in the last was sublime

It was bloody magnificent, wasn't it?

Elliot is really improving his game, going through the middle and even into the back line now, having a say even when he's not kicking 4-5 goals in a game.

He's been impressive this year.

Sidebottom beams elliot....you guys just keep churning them out. Id trade all of carltons no1 draft picks in the past for one of those guys
It's called seeing past the obvious Phant, Hine recruits on atittude and skills not mere reputation. If a player has a decent set of skills AND the attitude to work hard to make the most of them he goes high up on Hine's list IRRESPECTIVE of his draft position.

Also our incredible run of injuries over the last couple of years have given these guys opportunities they would have had to wait for in the normal run of things.

It's called seeing past the obvious Phant, Hine recruits on atittude and skills not mere reputation. If a player has a decent set of skills AND the attitude to work hard to make the most of them he goes high up on Hine's list IRRESPECTIVE of his draft position.

Also our incredible run of injuries over the last couple of years have given these guys opportunities they would have had to wait for in the normal run of things.

Work rate and teachability... Very important. Someone like Gibbs had the skills to be a star but either he doesn't listen or he's not being told the right things.

Love his work rate and willingness to help out the backline.

But boy oh boy, that kick across the ground to a marked man in the middle would have to be my nomination for worst decision making error by one of our boys this year.

Was definitely a wtf moment watching it live at the ground.

The word elite should be limit to the very best such as Pendles, Swan, Ablett and only a few more running around across the competion. Elliott is good and has the potential to become very good,but only the very few churn out the performances week after week like the true elite of the competion.

Doesn't mean I am not a huge fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 53417

Ayce Buckley seems to think so too.
Get that kid in the 22! Can we father-son recruit him mid season?

The word elite should be limit to the very best such as Pendles, Swan, Ablett and only a few more running around across the competion. Elliott is good and has the potential to become very good,but only the very few churn out the performances week after week like the true elite of the competion.

Doesn't mean I am not a huge fan.
In my very humble opinion the world elite should be strictly limited to the entire Collingwood best 22, and possibly some of the emergencies.

I think he can become an elite marketing tool. I strode around the G long after the big game with my 8 YO daughter searching in vain for a merchandise stall with a Jamie Elliot badge. He was sold out everywhere. Has to have the most star quality in our team since that other guy ... the one who went to Carlton. Just hope when he starts appearing on every publication under the sun it doesn't make him turn cocky like maybe that other guy. (Judas Iscariot).

No doubt he can. I think that like a lot of kids, his tank has held him back. We often think they struggle by foot but they are so knackered they fall off the kick. I have noticed this year that Elliots field kicking is really improving, bullet like passes that thread the eye of the needle.

The one query on him would be to improve his work below his knees. I am looking forward to him sitting on Thomas's head this week.

I can understand the excitement surrounding the young fella but.......Lets all not get too carried away just yet!! Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan but you cannot throw the elite tag around lightly, and while Elliots start to the year has been an improvement and he is tracking at the top for his position thats for sure...It has only been 20 odd games that he has performed at a high level. True, he is improving, has that xfactor and is starting to play some really good footy but lets be realistic here. Lets see where he is at in 2-3 years time before we can truly start calling him elite....just sayin :)

I think he can become an elite marketing tool. I strode around the G long after the big game with my 8 YO daughter searching in vain for a merchandise stall with a Jamie Elliot badge. He was sold out everywhere. Has to have the most star quality in our team since that other guy ... the one who went to Carlton. Just hope when he starts appearing on every publication under the sun it doesn't make him turn cocky like maybe that other guy. (Judas Iscariot).

Was Judas Iscariot on every publication under the sun?

I can understand the excitement surrounding the young fella but.......Lets all not get too carried away just yet!! Dont get me wrong, Im a huge fan but you cannot throw the elite tag around lightly, and while Elliots start to the year has been an improvement and he is tracking at the top for his position thats for sure...It has only been 20 odd games that he has performed at a high level. True, he is improving, has that xfactor and is starting to play some really good footy but lets be realistic here. Lets see where he is at in 2-3 years time before we can truly start calling him elite....just sayin :)
Thread title says "can become elite", not "is already elite".

Give the coach credit for managing him well. After his 5 goal game, instead of posting him to the forward pocket in the hope of a repeat, Buckley played him on the ball for a lot of the game, protecting him from the physical monstering that was lined up for him. Then he moved forward and was able to kick important goals.
His goal kicking is great if he is close enough, but he can't kick 50. His passing is low and fast, but not always accurate. His attack on the ball and the man is first rate. He is great at applying pressure.
I don't expect him to develop a 70 m kick, but he could increase his passing accuracy, which would put him in the top drawer.

Most star quality at Collingwood since Cameron Wood? What an achievement Billy! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back