Bumped Jamie Elliott can become elite

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Elliot's numbers stack up better than the others if you consider his numbers as a percentage of overall team numbers.
You can't compare raw goals for example in a team that is more offensive than a team that is more defensive.

Spring heeled Jack with a turn of speed and a touch of agility who knows where the goals are.

A priceless combination at the moment but could have a shorter career than other top line players due to him relying so much on his incredible vertical leap, which will be one of the first things to go when he starts to age.

Thanks for bringing this up! Let me compare his stats to those 3, plus a few others who people widely consider as the best small forwards in the game. We've got a real gem on our hands here, and he's only in his third season. Per game this season, Jamie Elliott averages:
- 16.3 disposals
- 2.3 goals
- 3.1 tackles

Luke Breust:
- 17.6 disposals
- 2.8 goals
- 2.1 tackles

Cyril Rioli: (5 games)
- 14.8 disposals
- 2.2 goals
- 3.2 tackles

Hayden Ballantyne: (5 games)
- 13.4 disposals
- 1.4 goals
- 1.6 tackles

Lindsay Thomas:
- 9.6 disposals
- 1.8 goals
- 3.5 tackles

Eddie Betts:
- 11.6 disposals
- 1.8 goals
- 3.1 tackles

Chad Wingard: (5 games)
- 15.8 disposals
- 2.0 goals
- 3.4 tackles

In summary, Jamie's stats during the first 6 games of 2014 are up there, if not better than some of the most hyped players in the game (Wingard and Rioli in particular). Wingard and Elliott have played almost the exact same amount of games (43, 41) and kicked almost the exact same amount of goals (52, 50), yet it seems Wingard is getting much more recognition. He is well and truly capable of becoming elite and I can't wait to see him get the recognition he so richly deserves. But for now, I'm happy for opposition clubs to allow him to roam free, because he will start to consistently cut teams up and do damage on the scoreboard. Go Billy boy!

Marks are an important stat to compare and a favourable one for Elliot, with his excellent leap and clean hands. He has averaged 6.3 marks per game and if you take out his first 2 games 8 marks per game, far more than the other players mentioned above. He has been playing up the ground, linking up play while still contributing goals (brilliant goal kick, set shot or on the run) and strong tackles contributing to our team defence.

Amazing form from such a young player.

Last edited:

Add Robbie Gray to that list, he's been awesome so far IMO.

Per game for Gray: 21 disposals, 2 goals & 2.2 tackles.
He has been playing a lot of midfield time btw. Not taking anything away from him, finally good to see him on the park inury free.
Elliott is going to be on another level tho. That gather in the 2nd quarter on the boundary near our 50 and sidestep to a deft kick on to the tit of blair had me incredibly hard. Absolute gem.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

Spring heeled Jack with a turn of speed and a touch of agility who knows where the goals are.

A priceless combination at the moment but could have a shorter career than other top line players due to him relying so much on his incredible vertical leap, which will be one of the first things to go when he starts to age.

I don't believe this is true with him, he has the skill set to become a very very good ground game player and is learning it look at the work he is doing further up field for proof. He is more then a Medhurst clone.

I don't believe this is true with him, he has the skill set to become a very very good ground game player and is learning it look at the work he is doing further up field for proof. He is more then a Medhurst clone.
I'm not denying his skill or athleticism it's just a simple physiological fact that he will lose that spring at as he nears the end of his career.

Seems odd to me that there has been so much focus on his "not flying" for marks?
It's not like he is in Clokes space.
he should fly for everything he thinks he can get a shot on goal from the way he traveling.
Seem a lot of our players positives get turned immediately into negatives lately.

But you also said he is a career limited player due to it, I am saying he is more then a high jumping mark and shouldn't effect his career length.
Way to twist a post around loki or did your honestly not get my point?

Once he loses his incredible vertical leap he WILL come back to the field and it WILL happen, I never said he would have a short career just that he won't have a loooong one as the player he currently is.

He will need to adapt his game and he very well may do so.

My point was, if he relies on his leap he will fade as the years advance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Way to twist a post around loki or did your honestly not get my point?

Once he loses his incredible vertical leap he WILL come back to the field and it WILL happen, I never said he would have a short career just that he won't have a loooong one as the player he currently is.

He will need to adapt his game and he very well may do so.

My point was, if he relies on his leap he will fade as the years advance.

And my point was he has enough other elite traits to not have to rely on it.

And my point was he has enough other elite traits to not have to rely on it.
Elite is a very elastic term, beside the point really his outstanding threat is his marking for his size once that is reduced somewhat a lesser player can be allocated to him whereas at the moment he is almost impossible to counter.

E L I T E
E L L I O T not far off really...
The-Thinker-620x270.jpg

Can we change thread title to "Jamie Elliott has become elite".

However, elite may be too strong a word.

How about "Elliott has become one of the best small forwards in the comp"

I should get my thoughts together before i post. :)

Can we change thread title to "Jamie Elliott has become elite".

However, elite may be too strong a word.

How about "Elliott has become one of the best small forwards in the comp"

I should get my thoughts together before i post. :)
The way Elliott is trending and his rate of improvement I think we'll be calling him one of the better players in the competition, not just among small forwards.

His goal tally and accuracy have already been touched on. But what about his ability to round out his game and be effective much further up the field?

Disposals have gone up from 10.3 (2012) to 12.5 (2013) and now 16.9 this year. He also had another two rebound 50's on Friday to bring his tally to 10 in 7 games. Last year he had 5 rebound 50's in TOTAL in 20 games, 2012 he had just 1 in 15 games. So not only is he one of the top goal-kickers, but he's getting back to help in defence as well!

Jamie Elliott is only 21 :eek: Also he seems like a very grounded and humble guy, someone who wouldn't get an over-inflated sense of his worth and would keep striving to improve. I've got my money on him to become ELITE :thumbsu:

Yes, today that statement is true. Amazing if you consider how quickly this improvement has happened!

P.S: My man-crush on Medders remains true forever (and he will remain my avatar at least until the end of the year)...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back