Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Get Gaffed

Senior List
Aug 11, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Elliot will be managed much like Cyril.
Here's hoping it's just more Soreness/Tightness making us go with a cautious approach, which is natural with him having missed so many games.
Fingers crossed it's not something that lingers too long and he can get back in and continue to string games together.

BigCharlie

Debutant
Sep 7, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dear oh dear.

Now Degoey has a re-occurrence of his MTSS

What is considered the correct rehabilitation?

Treatment which resolves the issue in question with minimal chance of re-occurrence.

Is it universal for all injuries

Absolutely. You rehab tennis elbow in exactly the same manner as tib post tendinopathy.

Are two hamstring injuries the same?

A very good question. You can have stretch-type hamstring injuries, which affect different muscles than the classic braking effect injury that generally occurs in football. You can have strains closer to or involving the tendon or intramuscular tendon.

Is there a universally "correct" form of rehab? Are ideas on rehab static, or are they constantly shaped by recent research literature?

Research literature doesn't - or shouldn't - have as much influence on rehab for Aust rules since much of it is conducted on European football players, which is a very different demand. That's why the Opar/Hickey ideas are somewhat interesting, but their program is still somewhat in its infancy, and given the reluctance of athletes to commit to heavy eccentric exercise, whether it will have widespread adoption is the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very disappointing for Jamie. Can't say he starred in all his games back, but he was starting to work his way into our game style and revamped forward set-up, and showing more than a little of the Jamie of old.

Can see no point in playing the blame game. I'm sure the club has moved heaven and earth in trying to get him right, and he's just not 100% and probably never will be. I think we are lucky to even have him at all, given the awful back injury he carried through 2016 and 2017.

Very disappointing for Jamie. Can't say he starred in all his games back, but he was starting to work his way into our game style and revamped forward set-up, and showing more than a little of the Jamie of old.

Can see no point in playing the blame game. I'm sure the club has moved heaven and earth in trying to get him right, and he's just not 100% and probably never will be. I think we are lucky to even have him at all, given the awful back injury he carried through 2016 and 2017.
It doesn’t help having the pontification of Dr. Google.

Can always trust VP to shed some light and common sense on a topic.

I agree that whilst it's been very exciting seeing Jamie line up, he didn't stand out as the game-breaker we know he can be. He was building very nicely though and his leads are supersonic.

There is zero to be gained by speculating on what rehab protocol paid professionals that are intimate with his case should have ideally chosen. Nobody appreciates a finger pointer / armchair expert. :)

All we can do is trust and hope that nothing serious has occurred this time and that the club is just managing him in a conservative manner.

Sometimes we get lost in our fun discussions here and forget that we are talking about real people's lives and the risk they have of their careers getting cut-short through injury.

I hope that Jamie is back soon and continues to build on the solid foundations he laid in the first part of the season; we're better with him in the team.

Can always trust VP to shed some light and common sense on a topic.

I agree that whilst it's been very exciting seeing Jamie line up, he didn't stand out as the game-breaker we know he can be. He was building very nicely though and his leads are supersonic.

There is zero to be gained by speculating on what rehab protocol paid professionals that are intimate with his case should have ideally chosen. Nobody appreciates a finger pointer / armchair expert. :)

All we can do is trust and hope that nothing serious has occurred this time and that the club is just managing him in a conservative manner.

Sometimes we get lost in our fun discussions here and forget that we are talking about real people's lives and the risk they have of their careers getting cut-short through injury.

I hope that Jamie is back soon and continues to build on the solid foundations he laid in the first part of the season; we're better with him in the team.

Thanks J. Either that, or I post emotional drivel. In fact, more often the latter.

But the rest of your post is a beautiful synopsis of the Jamie situation. Let’s all pray to the footy gods, the ones who delivered us crap Carlton and Richmond clubs for decades, to get to work on fixing Jamie.

Thanks J. Either that, or I post emotional drivel. In fact, more often the latter.

But the rest of your post is a beautiful synopsis of the Jamie situation. Let’s all pray to the footy gods, the ones who delivered us crap Carlton and Richmond clubs for decades, to get to work on fixing Jamie.

You feel more confident listening to the Buckley interview. To realise how Jamie was concerned on the reaction/s to it, we get an understanding of how much our narrative and the media can affect a players thinking and psyche.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=372772

But yeah there is a worst case scenario - but let's hope it's not and he can be back in a few weeks.

Will nobody lay the blame where it largely belongs - that freakin' Carltoon mutt who gave Billy that big push in the back as he marked on the southern wing.?! Same as Treloar's damn injury last year, another Carltoon worm thinking he could impact and giving him a massive push.

It's B for blame, people.

Bad Horse

Petfood
Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019 Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Steph Chiocci 2017
Mar 26, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will nobody lay the blame where it largely belongs - that freakin' Carltoon mutt who gave Billy that big push in the back as he marked on the southern wing.?! Same as Treloar's damn injury last year, another Carltoon worm thinking he could impact and giving him a massive push.

It's B for blame, people.

I was going to blame ponies but I guess Carlton is pretty much the same.

Scritchyscroony

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle United FC
Super exciting to have this man finally back. Has been a long wait to see him impact a game like that. Nice timing Jamie...

JE showing us what he can do again. A fit Elliot makes us so much better. That pass inside 50 to...?? Varcoe...❤
I think it was Dunstall who said it was the best kick he'd seen in 2019.
He did one earlier in the year off his left which was a beauty too.
Probably right this one was better.

September Action

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it was Dunstall who said it was the best kick he'd seen in 2019.
He did one earlier in the year off his left which was a beauty too.
Probably right this one was better.
If anyone can post it, I’d love to take another look. Doesn’t seem to be in the highlights and I only saw it with one eye first time around.

The guy is a jet. Great game sense, like few others. I just hope he is over the injuries.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So happy to see Jamie back to his best. Has been a long road for him.

Ditto - absolutely rapt to see him back and firing.

The pessimist in me worries about this being enough to get a new contract and then back to the usual ins and (mostly) outs.

But if this is something he can hold together for a few years then we have just scored a great new recruit.

Jul 3, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Heat, Victory, Man Utd, Redskins
I assume you refer to his mental resilience...........cos his hamstring resiliance over the years hasnt been the best!!!
I'm only guessing but it feels like that back operation and associated issues was enough to make a normal man retire

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Back