Recommitted Jamie Elliott [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

When players are out of the game for a little time people tend to forget what they are really capable of. I know i did last year.

From his 17 games last year he kicked a goal in all but 2 games and had 3 or more goals in 5 straight games. He is a high risk high reward player for anyone looking to lure him
Interesting comment
Past capability vs current Availability.

As I said, my wife is a Pies supporter, and probably knows more about football than the both of us.
She is generally a pretty good judge of trade values from the 5 years i have known her, and she is the one telling me 3rd rounder (ish)
The guy has played 17 games in 3 years........doesnt inspire confidence so, anyone that trades a first rounder for him should be expecting 20 games a year, which has not been the case in the last few years.

Looks like he might stay anyway if the post a few above is anything to go by......??
How does she judge the trade she made swapping single life for you?

As I said, my wife is a Pies supporter, and probably knows more about football than the both of us.
She is generally a pretty good judge of trade values from the 5 years i have known her, and she is the one telling me 3rd rounder (ish)
The guy has played 17 games in 3 years........doesnt inspire confidence so, anyone that trades a first rounder for him should be expecting 20 games a year, which has not been the case in the last few years.

Looks like he might stay anyway if the post a few above is anything to go by......??
You might not have the balls to tell her, but I do, she’s wrong.

Don’t tell her I said that.

A lot will depend on the surgery report, if they're confident they've found the problem there's no way in hell we'd trade him for that.

Nah.
He's played 17 games in one year.....in the last 3!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's worth more than that to Collingwood.....so he won't be a cheap get, period.
Plus he's just about to sign a new deal.
He’s worth more than that to every club. No one actually believes he is gettable for a 3rd rounder other than the BF trade department team.

He stays at the Pies, no other club would give up more than a 3rd.

Plus the Collingwood medicos would know his history better than most and will be in the best position to help him recover.

Would be good to see him get back, hopefully there are no.more setbacks

Can see him going for a late second or early third rounder at a maximum. Seems like he's happy at the pies but if they cut his pay down in the new contract (which they will due to his unreliability with injuries) then I would expect a cashed up North, Bulldogs or Saints to come swooping in on him with offers to good to refuse. This one could get interesting.

He stays at the Pies, no other club would give up more than a 3rd.

Plus the Collingwood medicos would know his history better than most and will be in the best position to help him recover.

Would be good to see him get back, hopefully there are no.more setbacks
Clubs would give up more than a 3rd rounder but Pies would be stupid to let him go. You’ll see why in 2019.

Clubs would give up more than a 3rd rounder but Pies would be stupid to let him go. You’ll see why in 2019.

If he pings a hammy again you’ll also see why clubs wouldn’t want to give up more than an early 3rd.

Don’t get me wrong he is a very good player when fit, but that hasn’t been the case for some time now. Don’t think he will leave the pies though.

If he pings a hammy again you’ll also see why clubs wouldn’t want to give up more than an early 3rd.

Don’t get me wrong he is a very good player when fit, but that hasn’t been the case for some time now. Don’t think he will leave the pies though.
I don’t recall ever seeing a club pay in the value of likelihood of injury. It has always been on the output or potential output of a player with injury being a risk factor.

If a club was to chase Elliott, it’ll be based on his on-field abilities only. Whether they proceed or not will be based on the medical reports.

Elliott, on ability, is worth more than a 3rd rounder. Simple.

The problem isn’t the ability of Elliott. More the durability. He’s had 2 seasons out of the last 4 where he hasn’t played an AFL game due to injury. He’s also had some serious back and hamstring issues during his career.
At best a club willing to take a risk would give up a 2nd rounder. Probably not an early second. Collingwood have some decisions to make. They’ll have Dunn and Scharenberg out for majority of next year. Add an injury prone Wells Ried and Elliott to that. Also Moore who has struggled this year.

The problem isn’t the ability of Elliott. More the durability. He’s had 2 seasons out of the last 4 where he hasn’t played an AFL game due to injury. He’s also had some serious back and hamstring issues during his career.
At best a club willing to take a risk would give up a 2nd rounder. Probably not an early second. Collingwood have some decisions to make. They’ll have Dunn and Scharenberg out for majority of next year. Add an injury prone Wells Ried and Elliott to that. Also Moore who has struggled this year.
As mentioned, either they deem him as worthy of the risk, and pay his worth based on ability, or they pass because of medical reports. Simple.

Re your other point, very valid, and clubs would be super conscious around carrying too many injury prone players into a season, especially Collingwood, but depending on the medical reports, guys like Elliott and Wells are high risk, high reward types who pay massive dividends if they stay fit. The same can’t be said for the likes of Reid and Fasolo ect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back