Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

No they don't, because you don't know the specifics. You don't know any detail about the injury, you don't know what sort of rahab Elliott has been doing since the injury, and you don't know how much he drinks and how often. You have made an assumption based on very little evidence.

My Nana smoked three packets of f** every day of her life since the age of 14. When she died at 93 she had no lung damage. Go figure.

With all due respect it's not often they conduct autopsies on 93 year old women is it?

Even a moderate amount of alcohol slows recovery from strenuous exercise, a new study has found.

The study featuring in The Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport (JSAMS), published by Sports Medicine Australia, investigated whether the consumption of alcohol post exercise has an effect on recovery.

http://sma.org.au/2010/04/sportspeople-warned-alcohol-will-affect-recovery/

I guess the Derby counts as exercise.

A further study completed recently highlighted that alcohol impairs the normal recovery processes in already damaged muscle, not systemically weakening all skeletal muscles. Alcohol does not affect performance of the unexercised muscle.

The study provides evidence that the management of alcohol use after strenuous exercise is as important, if not more important, than popular recovery modes if optimal recovery of performance is desired,” said Mr Barnes.

https://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition/fact_sheets/alcohol_and_australian_sport

Pretty much nothing good about it short term long term physically mentally socially, but lets keep making pathetic excuses for a favourite player based on our own bias and drinking habits... she'll be right mate doesn't win flags

And happy for you to fully disclose Elliott's drinking habits (frequency, quantity, poison of choice) so we can judge the merit of your claims. Some detail on that specific incident would also be good (duration, food eaten, type of drinks consumed, alcohol reading when arrested).

And happy for you to fully disclose Elliott's drinking habits (frequency, quantity, poison of choice) so we can judge the merit of your claims. Some detail on that specific incident would also be good (duration, food eaten, type of drinks consumed, alcohol reading when arrested).
I'm just happy to go with sports science over online anons, the pathetic excuses have almost descended into it was a good thing he got shitfaced... is that the agenda? Alcohol good for rehab? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm just happy to go with sports science over online anons, the pathetic excuses have almost descended into it was a good thing he got shitfaced... is that the agenda? Alcohol good for rehab? :rolleyes:

You're not an online anon? You sited a study but had to be prompted to provide an actual reference to it, and I have no evidence that you are even able to read a scientific study or assess its quality.

While you're typing away in your keyboard warrior outfit I'll remind you that in real life the 2010 rat pack didn't mind a drink (or 7) and I remember that side going OK... except Swanny, he didn't drink at all.

Nobody here would advocate that getting s**t-faced is good when you're recovering from injury but I see your posts as just being abrasive.

You see yourself as the holder of some imaginary standard whilst the rest of us accept mediocrity... and that's why we're not winning flags.

The list of reasons we're not doing great on the field is pretty long. Jamie getting pissed during the off-season is not even in the top 50.

Peace, over and out.

Try reading again :rolleyes:

I'm quoting sports scientists

"Sports Medicine Australia Chief Executive Officer, Nello Marino said both studies should be a wake up call to sports clubs whose post game routine includes the consumption of alcohol..."

The study was about drinking after exercise stimulus and measured the ability of the muscle to produce the same force after 3 days (it was measured 3 times).

It's not directly applicable to Jamie, but you don't need to quote sports scientists... People know that to optimize physical recovery during injury one should abstain. I don't think anyone is arguing with you about that.

I doubt that getting s**t-faced once during the off-season is the reason Elliot needs surgery.

"Sports Medicine Australia Chief Executive Officer, Nello Marino said both studies should be a wake up call to sports clubs whose post game routine includes the consumption of alcohol..."

The study was about drinking after exercise stimulus and measured the ability of the muscle to produce the same force after 3 days (it was measured 3 times).

It's not directly applicable to Jamie, but you don't need to quote sports scientists... People know that to optimize physical recovery during injury one should abstain. I don't think anyone is arguing with you about that.

I doubt that getting s**t-faced once during the off-season is the reason Elliot needs surgery.
It wouldn't even matter if the chances were slim (which they aren't) a professional doesn't take that chance when he's rehabbing from a major injury, it's insanity once you know even a small amount of alcohol affects rehab... the excuses for him are pathetic and he would be the last one asking anyone to make them for him

If you're Billy coming off a debilitating back injury then an ankle injury that won't go away you just don't do it... then nobody can point to his binge and say it had an impact

Last edited:
It wouldn't even matter if the chances were slim (which they aren't) a professional doesn't take that chance when he's rehabbing from a major injury, it's insanity once you know even a small amount of alcohol affects rehab... the excuses for him are pathetic and he would be the last one asking anyone to make them for him

If you're Billy coming off a debilitating back injury then an ankle injury that won't go away you just don't do it... then nobody can point to his binge and say it had an impact
Pendlebury was recovering from a broken tibia when he was king hit outside a pub at 1:30am. Then again, when you think of a professional, the name Pendlebury doesn't usually spring to mind.

it's insanity once you know even a small amount of alcohol affects rehab...

You need to learn how to read.
For one, that study is over 7 tears old. There is no doubt alcohol has a deleterious affect on human physiology, but there is no mention in that piece about whether there was any recovery program at all, or whether the recreational athletes tested just drank the juice and alcohol.

Rehab following an injury is also vastly different from recovery following a game or training session.

You need to learn how to read.
For one, that study is over 7 tears old. There is no doubt alcohol has a deleterious affect on human physiology, but there is no mention in that piece about whether there was any recovery program at all, or whether the recreational athletes tested just drank the juice and alcohol.

Rehab following an injury is also vastly different from recovery following a game or training session.
Yes it's a good thing Charlie, lets get everyone on the piss... and can you assure me this was just a once off? we only know about this one because he got busted

Pendlebury was recovering from a broken tibia when he was king hit outside a pub at 1:30am. Then again, when you think of a professional, the name Pendlebury doesn't usually spring to mind.
Yeah because he was so trashed he was pissing in someone's bin and they got upset... next pathetic excuse please

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously if this was Joe Shitkicker everyone would be calling for his blood instead of coming up with s**t excuses

Seriously if this was Joe Shitkicker everyone would be calling for his blood instead of coming up with s**t excuses

Nuh. Are you prepared to argue that Malthouse should have sacked Swan due to the lack of discipline in his recovery?

It's just perspective and acceptance of human nature. Every player should train and recover the way Buckley did, but they don't.

Let's agree to disagree.

Nuh. Are you prepared to argue that Malthouse should have sacked Swan due to the lack of discipline in his recovery?

It's just perspective and acceptance of human nature. Every player should train and recover the way Buckley did, but they don't.

Let's agree to disagree.
Who in *** said I wanted Billy sacked??? Jesus H Christ... Billy more than anyone would be disappointed with himself, and the club would be mortified that another pre season has started this way after De Goey last year... and no they wouldn't be making pathetic excuses for him! they would be pointing out he didn't give himself the best chance of recovery... you can keep polishing this turd but it aint a diamond and never will be... he ****ed up so stop coddling him and he'll hopefully get on with the business of being a professional

Who in *** said I wanted Billy sacked??? Jesus H Christ... Billy more than anyone would be disappointed with himself, and the club would be mortified that another pre season has started this way after De Goey last year... and no they wouldn't be making pathetic excuses for him! they would be pointing out he didn't give himself the best chance of recovery... you can keep polishing this turd but it aint a diamond and never will be... he ****ed up so stop coddling him and he'll hopefully get on with the business of being a professional
You’re going on like he is acting like Ben Cousins. The kid had a few bev’s and pisses in a bin, relax you model citizen.

You’re going on like he is acting like Ben Cousins. The kid had a few bev’s and pisses in a bin, relax you model citizen.
Nope just sick of s**t excuses, you can hold Jamie to your own standards but it's about being a professional footballer, not a model citizen, whatever that is these days

I'm the guy that knows he wasn't trashed enough to get busted by cops for urinating in a bin, can you say the same for Jamie?
If you are actually that stupid to think that every AFL footballer that gets trashed (and/or pisses in a bin) gets caught... then you need to get out more :)

Nope just sick of s**t excuses, you can hold Jamie to your own standards but it's about being a professional footballer, not a model citizen, whatever that is these days
I hold them to high standards, but unlike some people... i understand that they are in fact human beings, just like the rest of us.

Thank goodness Collingwood has you to uphold these standards (on BigFooty).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back