Player Watch Jamie Elliott

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can only assume they mean it changed his running gate putting undue pressure on his hammy? They did say one of the reasons might be back being the other??
Yeah I thought it would have been majority back related.

Snoop Dog

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
Fantastic news and good on him for being very reasonable with the club. Makes you wonder though if issues arent worse than we think (already bad) and whether they have knocked back other offers.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
On the evidence of the finals, certainly Mayne and possibly Aish are superior to Josh Thomas in terms of their worth to the team. Thomas was great earlier in the year when he was kicking goals but had a very ordinary final's series
I think the relative finals performances were more a consequence of positions. Small forwards are always prone to quiet finals campaigns but his numbers stack up relative to his H&A season, just didn't have the scoreboard impact. Could potentially have had 2-3 goals Saturday and we'd all be lauding his finals campaign.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gee, thanks for that. Didn't know he got 3 goals in 4 games. Thats very dominant. A must keep then!
A grand total of 1 less than Stephenson and Varcoe, same as WHE. Maybe the sarcasm is just a little misplaced. Likely you'll get to appreciate him even more over the next 3 years.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would prefer to see jordy in the midfield and resting forward.
JDG was top 10 league wide for goals per game averages this year, tied with Darling, even with his midfield time. I think he'll continue to play forward with occasional midfield rotations and we'll have expectations that the development of players like Sier will enable that.

Drought Break

Senior List
May 5, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
A grand total of 1 less than Stephenson and Varcoe, same as WHE. Maybe the sarcasm is just a little misplaced. Likely you'll get to appreciate him even more over the next 3 years.
Hope so

He was goalless in the prelim and GF also while playing 90% up forward. Those other 3 at least got a few goals in those games.

Also scored our lowest rating in the grand final also.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hope so

He was goalless in the prelim and GF also while playing 90% up forward. Those other 3 at least got a few goals in those games.

Also scored our lowest rating in the grand final also.
Small forwards have quiet games. Unfortunate that he chose to have his quietest game of the finals series in the GF but had 3 goal scoring opportunities (2x snaps and the 1x HTM free that wasn't paid). Just didn't nail them. Played 26 games for 38 goals (top 20 league wide) this year so he's had a good year.

To put those 38 goals in context, take out finals and that's 1 less than Robbie Gray's 36 goals for 2018. Bruest, Caddy and WHE the only small forwards who kicked more, Stephenson and Cripps on the same number.

I think you need to be looking more toward the midfield group Saturday than at Thomas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NT.Thunder

Don't hate what you don't understand
Jun 19, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
GWS, Brewers, WSL
JDG was top 10 league wide for goals per game averages this year, tied with Darling, even with his midfield time. I think he'll continue to play forward with occasional midfield rotations and we'll have expectations that the development of players like Sier will enable that.
Yeah DeGoey will be play similar to Dusty Martin but better

4#Didak#4

Premiership Player
May 21, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think many quickly forget Elliot's capabilities, he is every bit as damaging as JDG up forward. A unique player very had to match up on. Paired with JDG (&WHE) I think is a massive freak out for opposition coaches. He allows JDG to go to the middle more and Stephenson will move to a wing next year most likely.

In the end I just want to see our best talent on the park at the same time. It simply has not occurred since 2011.

You need to keep these sort of players they are exciting and a joy to watch, it brings punters through the gates and the kids will be drawn to teams like ours that are great to watch.

Shpeshal Ed

I see you on televishaaaaan!
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
I think many quickly forget Elliot's capabilities, he is every bit as damaging as JDG up forward. A unique player very had to match up on. Paired with JDG (&WHE) I think is a massive freak out for opposition coaches. He allows JDG to go to the middle more and Stephenson will move to a wing next year most likely.

In the end I just want to see our best talent on the park at the same time. It simply has not occurred since 2011.

You need to keep these sort of players they are exciting and a joy to watch, it brings punters through the gates and the kids will be drawn to teams like ours that are great to watch.
Given he's barely played in 2 years, it's easy to forget just how good a fit Jamie Elliott is.

He, at his best, is easily the equal of De Goey.

I think I said earlier in the thread that if we can get his body right (which I seriously doubt) and he stays fit, we effectively have a forward line with 2 De Goey's in it. Which is a downright scary proposition for any defence in the league. Jamie can alos play mid lets' not forget.

sr36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 20, 2009
Vietnam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Given he's barely played in 2 years, it's easy to forget just how good a fit Jamie Elliott is.

He, at his best, is easily the equal of De Goey.

I think I said earlier in the thread that if we can get his body right (which I seriously doubt) and he stays fit, we effectively have a forward line with 2 De Goey's in it. Which is a downright scary proposition for any defence in the league. Jamie can alos play mid lets' not forget.
Agree with it being a scary forward line, particularly as you'd be expecting further improvement from Cox and Stephenson.

September Action

Premiership Player
Jun 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think it was Dunstall who said it was the best kick he'd seen in 2019.
He did one earlier in the year off his left which was a beauty too.
Probably right this one was better.
If anyone can post it, I’d love to take another look. Doesn’t seem to be in the highlights and I only saw it with one eye first time around.

The guy is a jet. Great game sense, like few others. I just hope he is over the injuries.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
So happy to see Jamie back to his best. Has been a long road for him.
Ditto - absolutely rapt to see him back and firing.

The pessimist in me worries about this being enough to get a new contract and then back to the usual ins and (mostly) outs.

But if this is something he can hold together for a few years then we have just scored a great new recruit.

Top Bottom