Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

Averages virtually exactly the same amount of goals per game as Fasolo when you take into account Fasolo's games in defence.

(1.3 / 1.4)

Also averages less disposals but 1 more tackle.

Doesn't seem to be a lot that separates them but everyone wants to get rid of Fasolo
You're right that their stats are fairly similar, but it's a bit of an indictment on Fas that Elliott can come back after 12 months out of the game, be an equivalent offensive threat and also work harder defensively.

I wouldn't trade Fas because I want to get rid of him per se, more that I think we need more of a crumbing small forward to compliment Elliott, whom I believe works harder and has a higher ceiling.

As I said, it would be highly dependent on how Kirby and Daicos develop, but if Kirby in particular got himself in to AFL fitness and contention, Fas is the one who I'd have him replacing. He's just as much of an aerial threat, better at ground level, faster, and is a great tackler. The next few months will be interesting to watch, because a guy like Kirby could just as easily say it's all to hard and quit despite having all the talent in the world.

Only real reason I could see us trade Fas if we have decided to go the whole rebuild and accept that the next few seasons will be spent at the bottom while we regenerate.

Accepting any side that is going to contend for finals needs at least one forward who can kick 40 goals a year and preferably a number. If you look at recent finals teams this is almost a constant. At the moment we have no one in the team who is capable of that but Elliott and Fas are the two most likely. Moore may do it later in his career but looks a fair way off it for now. Kirby, Brown and Daicos have yet to play a senior game, we won't know if they will make the AFL grade for a while yet and they are a mile away from confirming whether they can become significant goalkickers at the level.

For a team with very few forward options it would seem dangerous to trade away one of the few forwards we have that have some class.

Only real reason I could see us trade Fas if we have decided to go the whole rebuild and accept that the next few seasons will be spent at the bottom while we regenerate.

Accepting any side that is going to contend for finals needs at least one forward who can kick 40 goals a year and preferably a number. If you look at recent finals teams this is almost a constant. At the moment we have no one in the team who is capable of that but Elliott and Fas are the two most likely. Moore may do it later in his career but looks a fair way off it for now. Kirby, Brown and Daicos have yet to play a senior game, we won't know if they will make the AFL grade for a while yet and they are a mile away from confirming whether they can become significant goalkickers at the level.

For a team with very few forward options it would seem dangerous to trade away one of the few forwards we have that have some class.
Who was our leading goal kicker in 2010 and how many did they get?

Couldn't care less what stats show. Elliott is a far better player than Fas and the evidence for that is watching games of football.
Can't go with far better but he is the better of the two. Still both are fragile and neither has been able to string together full seasons because of injury. Fasolo last had a full season in 2012 and Elliott has obviously had his major injury in 2016. Same age and if they can get a run at a full season both have a lot of untapped potential. I would keep both.

Pretty sure Dids with 41
Yep and Stringer was the dogs last year with 42. The idea that you need multiple 40+ kickers to contend is flawed imo. An even spread of goal kickers is just as important or more important. It's nice to have those high scorers, but not essential. And frankly, I don't think Fas will ever be the player he could be or you want him to be. He just doesn't work hard enough.

Yep and Stringer was the dogs last year with 42. The idea that you need multiple 40+ kickers to contend is flawed imo. An even spread of goal kickers is just as important or more important. It's nice to have those high scorers, but not essential. And frankly, I don't think Fas will ever be the player he could be or you want him to be. He just doesn't work hard enough.
I did a bit of research in the last off season just for my own interest looking back to finals side I think to 2010 and there was only the very occasional finalist who didn't have a 40plus goalkicker. Most either had at least one well above 40 or a number a bit above 40. Freo was one of the few exceptions in one of their years and as you point out we in 2010 and Dogs last year only just got a player to the 40 mark. Off the top of my head Swans one year didn't and Roos one year had 4 players 35 and above. . So it was of about 48 finals teams from 2010 to 2016 only 2 or 3 didn't have a player reach 40 goals? It's only a stat but the truth is almost all finals sides since 2010 follow the trend. I would search for it but I just tried and for some reason I am only able to search my last 9 posts. Gremlins

As an aside I agree with your thought on a spread of goalkickers. That's what Elliott and Fas would be part of. 40 goals isn't an amount associated with a forward being the only focus which would be a problem. However in your spread of goalkickers yo do need a few dangerous options who are able to kick a good number of goals. It's no good having a spread of 4- 6 players kicking 20 each which is what we would have without Elliott and Fas.

Fas was a dead-eye up until this year. Form is temporary. It's not like he's a Cloke or Daniher who have never been able to kick straight.
Technically Fasolo is a good kick but it's between his ears, Cloke had head issues and technique issues.

Herald Sun has a piece on Joe Daniher having kicked 134 goals in his first 79 games... ahead of Riewoldt, Kennedy, Lynch and Hawkins at the same point in their careers.

Our man Elliot has flown under the radar kicking 117 goals from his first 78 games.

We are a much much better forward line with him in it. He's kicked 13 from 6 games this year. But with more match conditioning now under his belt, i think we will see him kick over 40 by years end

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about Career?
Elliott has still played less games and kicked more goals..
Elliott missed an entire year, came back and is playing a lot better than him.. it's not very close at all. The gap between them in goals per game this year is the same as the gap between Elliott and the player that's third in the Coleman race (Betts)...

What about Career?

Elliott's first half of 2015 is miles better than any block of games Fas has put together.

I like Fas, he's been through a fair bit with injuries that gets forgotten, but Elliott shown pretty clearly he has the higher ceiling of the two, performed at a higher standard in the past and given the miracle that he's come back well, be the better player going forward.

Elliott has still played less games and kicked more goals..
Elliott missed an entire year, came back and is playing a lot better than him.. it's not very close at all. The gap between them in goals per game this year is the same as the gap between Elliott and the player that's third in the Coleman race (Betts)...

Fasolo also missed a year with a Foot injury and played quite a few AFL games as a defender, yet all their stats are extremely similar.

Fasolo also missed a year with a Foot injury and played quite a few AFL games as a defender, yet all their stats are extremely similar.
Well, he played as a defender because he was playing crap as a forward and his games as a defender doesn't really explain why he's averaging a goal less per game than Elliott this year

Isn't just wonderful having Jaime back.
Makes such a huge difference with him fit and in.
He's a borderline A grade player and if fully fit all season he'd be A grade for position.

That said, keeping Fasolo should be a must (mother of all trade scenarios aside).

Why?

Giving games to BOTH Elliot and Fasolo means if one or the other get off the chain, defences may panic, with over emphasis on the winning player, and in turn releasing the other....

Then throw in Hyphen Elliot. it should be a nightmare for defences.

Then we have a Daicos, a Huggable Kirby, Crocker.... nice

Last edited:
Giving BOTH Elliot and Fasolo means if obese the other get off the chain defences can panic with over emphasis on the The winner in turn releasing the other.
Then throw in Hyphen Elliot it should be a nightmare for defences.

I think your auto-correct may be on the rampage. But if you meant to say that Jamie, Fas and WHE should cause havoc for opposition defenders - then that is the plan. Throw in Kirby and Daicos - and we are in seventh heaven. When will that be? 2017...2018...2019...

I think your auto-correct may be on the rampage. But if you meant to say that Jamie, Fas and WHE should cause havoc for opposition defenders - then that is the plan. Throw in Kirby and Daicos - and we are in seventh heaven. When will that be? 2017...2018...2019...
I fixed it and threw in huggable Kirby

:)

Elliot has been a joy to watch, I didn't think he could come back so well.

Why are we comparing Elliot and Fas they are both Collingwood players, both key parts of the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back