Player Watch Jamie Elliott

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve got two main reasons why I’m stoked to hear that Billy is staying.

1) as a supporter with zero inner circle connections, it suggests to me that we have a culture which players want to be a part of. That may or may not be true, but it’s nice to think it is.

2) Billy’s injury issues are well documented, it would’ve been tempting for him to take a longer contract and more money now in case he does break down again. Hopefully this isn’t just a sign of loyalty, but a sign that he’s feeling confident in his body to put together 2 solid years of football and earn himself another contract extension and end up earning that money that he could’ve easily signed up for if he moved.

“He’s got a brother in Airlie Beach, so he’s got a family member close by,” Noble said.

Close by? Only a 12 hour drive. o_O

Billy reminds me of Medhurst, which means he's frikkin' awesome. Stoked he's sticking around to be part of all the fun. He is displaying good character by repaying the faith the club showed in him.

The number of #5 jumpers to be pulled out of the bin today will be in the 10s of thousands.

“He’s got a brother in Airlie Beach, so he’s got a family member close by,” Noble said.

Close by? Only a 12 hour drive. o_O

No good, half smart footballer playing for a Melbourne club would go to Brisbane. It’s a boring city and the club will be littered with periods of being a basket case asking for AFL handouts.

I highly doubt that sports people are treated as PAYG employees. I would think most would have tax structures set up such as a trust fund, via there manager to minimise tax.

I’m pretty rusty on my income tax law, but I’m reasonably confident they’re more likely to be PAYG than operating trusts. They definitely wouldn’t use the structure you’ve suggested. Without a bunch of beneficiaries there’s little point to a trust so I’d say most would be PAYG and the big names with side stuff would have companies.

IMO, gerry is close to the mark, but I think the smart accountants would hook them up with buyers advocates to purchase a bunch of negatively geared investment properties as a tax minimisation strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m pretty rusty on my income tax law, but I’m reasonably confident they’re more likely to be PAYG than operating trusts. They definitely wouldn’t use the structure you’ve suggested. Without a bunch of beneficiaries there’s little point to a trust so I’d say most would be PAYG and the big names with side stuff would have companies.

IMO, gerry is close to the mark, but I think the smart accountants would hook them up with buyers advocates to purchase a bunch of negatively geared investment properties as a tax minimisation strategy.
Most likely sco. We’re getting off topic here but they need to be careful of getting loading up debt and loss too much. When the income stops, big loans and paper losses don’t look all that attractive.

As an accountant, I would say it is impossible for the income as a footballer not to be included on their personal income tax returns as a salary.

I would maximise concessional super contributions of $25k per year. If I was to buy negatively geared property it would also have to be through my individual name as losses can’t be used if it is in a trust or company.

As an accountant that is now legally about all the information you can give a client without breaking the law!

I was pretty sure he’d remain in black and white. Easy to say now I guess.
It’s huge for us because he’s such a damaging player when he’s on.

Agree! So happy at the moment he will be very good in 2020, hope he can show some of the faithful that he is worth every penny for us. He gives us very good options up forward. Now we need a good tall! Pies 2020!

Billy reminds me of Medhurst, which means he's frikkin' awesome. Stoked he's sticking around to be part of all the fun. He is displaying good character by repaying the faith the club showed in him.

The number of #5 jumpers to be pulled out of the bin today will be in the 10s of thousands.
If people threw their jumpers in the bin......shame, for doubting him and all the No 5’s that wore the number prior.

Great news,

First Jamie knocks back Melbourne, openly and publicly, then he decides to stay, win, win.

JFTR I think he was always staying.

Gave my princess the good news this morning.......very happy little girl.

Well done Jamie.......the number 5 lives on.

420C057D-0692-41E5-9F46-1AA1D89FD504.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back