maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
In 2016 prior to the election I was travelling the US east coast from New York to Texas. It is not Australia, it is culturally a world away. Now that's a good thing for us, because you feel something which is different to Aussies. That is the northern hemisphere with its maelstrom of populations. We live in a different hemisphere, one that should be cherished and valued. We are unique. Any way I digress, back to the topic. In Manhattan there was hatred of Trump, every where. Same in Washington DC. All good, but was shocking was the decay that we saw from Virginia to Dallas. Whole inner city precincts with vacant blocks and derelict shopping centres. This was not the shiny, new USA we expected. It was so bad that In Houston we caught the "tram" (whites do not travel on public transport) to a shopping mal that we discovered was a ghost town. Its interesting that travelling on a Greyhound for 22 hours we saw a fair slice of the US. It became bleedingly apparent that this country was on the skids.

I digress again. When we visited the capitol we went to the Smithsonian, walking along the footpath towards the capitol buildings I noticed a backpack on the footpath. Like all good Aussie citizens I reported it to the capitol police standing a few paces away who seemed preoccupied. They came back shortly and they said it belonged to the Gardiner. No sweat. We should take anything the Jan 6 say with a grain of salt. It's all theatre with dire consequences.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Post is a bit rambly and Im not entirely sure I am parsing the conclusion.

But the general gist is accurate.

The US is rotting from the inside; I was surprised at how many people were openly talking about some variant of how the system was going to collapse when I backpacked in 2013. And I've been living here since 2015 and while we are doing very well for ourselves, it feels like we are barely keeping our heads above water without doing anything particularly lavish Maybe order out once a week.

And while its generally all falling apart, its unsurprisingly the states which have no workers rights protections, lowest business taxes, and rejected the Obamacare funding that are festering the most. People are mad. But they are mad at the wrong people, and at the wrong things. And its really easy for those who are causing them this pain to channel anger as it is inherently not rational. So you see the states which have failed the most, perpetuating the same policies and trying to enforce them at a national level. Its a mess and when Trump is the answer its all probably beyond fixing.

Australia has its issues but it certainly shouldn't be looking over here for social leadership or idealism. This isn't the 1950s when the US actually was a shining light, where working hard meant social mobility even at the same time minimum wage was meant to sustain a decent quality of life. A janitor could buy a house on a single income. It wasn't a nice house. But it was a house. Now its 2022. People are getting masters degrees for menial jobs, going into ~60k debt to do so, and can barely afford rent. Its not a nice house either. And its not theirs. The US is a near complete oligarchy full of a fervent, rightfully angry working class actively fighting to make everything even worse.

I am just sad.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions

The US is rotting from the inside; I was surprised at how many people were openly talking about some variant of how the system was going to collapse when I backpacked in 2013. And I've been living here since 2015 and while we are doing very well for ourselves, it feels like we are barely keeping our heads above water without doing anything particularly lavish Maybe order out once a week.

And while its generally all falling apart, its unsurprisingly the states which have no workers rights protections, lowest business taxes, and rejected the Obamacare funding that are festering the most. People are mad. But they are mad at the wrong people, and at the wrong things. And its really easy for those who are causing them this pain to channel anger as it is inherently not rational. So you see the states which have failed the most, perpetuating the same policies and trying to enforce them at a national level. Its a mess and when Trump is the answer its all probably beyond fixing.

Australia has its issues but it certainly shouldn't be looking over here for social leadership or idealism. This isn't the 1950s when the US actually was a shining light, where working hard meant social mobility even at the same time minimum wage was meant to sustain a decent quality of life. A janitor could buy a house on a single income. It wasn't a nice house. But it was a house. Now its 2022. People are getting masters degrees for menial jobs, going into ~60k debt to do so, and can barely afford rent. Its not a nice house either. And its not theirs. The US is a near complete oligarchy full of a fervent, rightfully angry working class actively fighting to make everything even worse.

I am just sad.
With respects to workers rights , I find it awful that some types of jobs do not have a minimum wage. Which ones, well the very same jobs that pre Civil War were done by African American slaves. What is it, $8 per hour, the vast majority of workers in these industries are either black, poor or illegal immigrants. It also worth noting that current legal format for a company as having the rights of a human evolved and was added to the bills that were passed to emancipate the slaves. Companies became the new slave masters.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong

I am just sad.
The housing price problem is a lot worse in australia then america.

america does have a poor people problem though. Poor education. Lack of health and welfare protections, too many drugs and lack of consumer protections results in too many people becoming homeless.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The housing price problem is a lot worse in australia then america.
I mean, not from what I've seen.

And not according to this:

The US has some affordable houses for someone making NY money. But it's in the places that are rotting. Locals cant afford them, and housing is intrinsically local.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I mean, not from what I've seen.

And not according to this:

The US has some affordable houses for someone making NY money. But it's in the places that are rotting. Locals cant afford them, and housing is intrinsically local.

interesting. This chart below on a sqr metre basis has only hong kong in front of australia. And this chart doesnt include the record house price growth in australia since the pandemic.

australians clearly are being forced into tiny apartments because our prices are too high where americans stick to larger properties.

Last edited:
We should take anything the Jan 6 say with a grain of salt. It's all theatre with dire consequences.
So we should just ignore the violence we saw and heard on that day? All were extras or crisis actors?

Osho

We haven't changed our position.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
In 2016 prior to the election I was travelling the US east coast from New York to Texas. It is not Australia, it is culturally a world away. Now that's a good thing for us, because you feel something which is different to Aussies. That is the northern hemisphere with its maelstrom of populations. We live in a different hemisphere, one that should be cherished and valued. We are unique. Any way I digress, back to the topic. In Manhattan there was hatred of Trump, every where. Same in Washington DC. All good, but was shocking was the decay that we saw from Virginia to Dallas. Whole inner city precincts with vacant blocks and derelict shopping centres. This was not the shiny, new USA we expected. It was so bad that In Houston we caught the "tram" (whites do not travel on public transport) to a shopping mal that we discovered was a ghost town. Its interesting that travelling on a Greyhound for 22 hours we saw a fair slice of the US. It became bleedingly apparent that this country was on the skids.

I digress again. When we visited the capitol we went to the Smithsonian, walking along the footpath towards the capitol buildings I noticed a backpack on the footpath. Like all good Aussie citizens I reported it to the capitol police standing a few paces away who seemed preoccupied. They came back shortly and they said it belonged to the Gardiner. No sweat. We should take anything the Jan 6 say with a grain of salt. It's all theatre with dire consequences.
It's a big country with a lot going on, it's hard to know where to look. Have a quick squizz at this:

And sometimes some topics are just avoided for fear of...for fear of something...fear of unpopular opinion? But some folk have less fear...

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
So we should just ignore the violence we saw and heard on that day? All were extras or crisis actors?
There were 2 deaths at the capitol. Unarmed war veteran Ashlee Babbit (killed in cold blood by a capitol police officer who fired through a closed glass window) and a woman who was clubbed to death as she lay semi conscious on the ground at the entry to the building. They were edited out of the videos shown as they did not fit the dialogue. What you did see is the aftermath, people angry about the senseless killing by the establishment. I suggest you look up these murders.

Fire

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 12, 2003
New York
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There were 2 deaths at the capitol. Unarmed war veteran Ashlee Babbit (killed in cold blood by a capitol police officer who fired through a closed glass window) and a woman who was clubbed to death as she lay semi conscious on the ground at the entry to the building. They were edited out of the videos shown as they did not fit the dialogue. What you did see is the aftermath, people angry about the senseless killing by the establishment. I suggest you look up these murders.
Wasnt Babbit smashing through a window into a restricted area during a riot?
If you attempt to frame that as 'cold blood' then I am going to doubt your description of the second womans death.

Weren't there also other deaths after that day? Suicides, mental health issues?

You seem to dismiss the riot, violence, damage and the assaults prior to the deaths you want to highlight. Why?

I suggest you have a look into the cause of those deaths and what led up to it.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Weren't there also other deaths after that day? Suicides, mental health issues?

You seem to dismiss the riot, violence, damage and the assaults prior to the deaths you want to highlight. Why?

I suggest you have a look into the cause of those deaths and what led up to it.
Establishment deaths were not attributable to the demo but pre existing health problems. There were no deaths of police on the day. Yes there was vandalism, assaults etc. but nothing out of the ordinary and have not certainly been a sign of insurrection. Australians have a history of demonstrations,
my god, I would wonder how the yanks would have handled our anti Vietnam protests. Over a hundred thousand people marching in Melbourne. There were full blown riots, police mounted horse charges and lines of demonstrators formed into Napoleonic war British squares to repel the cavalry charges. Grandparents, mums and dads and people from all walks of life protesting in unison.What you are watching on tv is a sanitised, scripted story created to vindicate the false imprisonment of hundreds of Americans in federal prisons, held in solitary confinement without charge, no bail and manacled. The USA is no longer the bastion of freedom, it is the exact opposite.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
(whites do not travel on public transport)

When we visited the capitol we went to the Smithsonian, walking along the footpath towards the capitol buildings I noticed a backpack on the footpath. Like all good Aussie citizens I reported it to the capitol police standing a few paces away who seemed preoccupied. They came back shortly and they said it belonged to the Gardiner. No sweat. We should take anything the Jan 6 say with a grain of salt. It's all theatre with dire consequences.

Establishment deaths were not attributable to the demo but pre existing health problems. There were no deaths of police on the day. Yes there was vandalism, assaults etc. but nothing out of the ordinary and have not certainly been a sign of insurrection. Australians have a history of demonstrations,
my god, I would wonder how the yanks would have handled our anti Vietnam protests. Over a hundred thousand people marching in Melbourne. There were full blown riots, police mounted horse charges and lines of demonstrators formed into Napoleonic war British squares to repel the cavalry charges. Grandparents, mums and dads and people from all walks of life protesting in unison.What you are watching on tv is a sanitised, scripted story created to vindicate the false imprisonment of hundreds of Americans in federal prisons, held in solitary confinement without charge, no bail and manacled. The USA is no longer the bastion of freedom, it is the exact opposite.

Moroon and blue is an ethno-nationalist.
He is deliberately disseminating disinformation.

I can't be the only one who's seen all his talking points used before, by ethno-nationalists...

Why is this disgusting high level member of the National Party able to post such bile on these forums?

Last edited by a moderator:

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
View attachment 1422350

Who reported this post, and why was it deleted?

I can't be the only one who's seen all his talking points used before, by ethno-nationalists...

Why is this disgusting high level member of the National Party able to post such bile on these forums?
My family was heavily involved in the labor party but its views moved away from my old working class beliefs years ago . I am apolitical.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
View attachment 1422350

Who reported this post, and why was it deleted?

If I were to classify myself I would say I'm from good yeoman stock with a streak of Puritanism. Not exactly you're run of a mill Aussie. I do not take offence at your comments but I would hope that you expand your views to a worldly one.

Sep 21, 2004
AFL Club
GWS
A privileged white racist larping as against the establishment while doing that sickly ‘hey officer id like to report something out of the ordinary’ schtick. s**t OP.

You can’t expect to overthrow a government pledging to hang people with thousands descending and expect no response.

The leaders pushing these simple minded morons to take billets for them will ideally put themselves in harms way one day.

But they won’t. They’ll ask and succeed in getting these idiots (like the OP I’m sure) to donate their money and their lives.

Babbit is sitting in hell right now realising she got played.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Cyg1992

Team Captain
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
What happened to that Babbitt lady literally happens many times a year to black people in America. Only they're not breaking into government buildings when they're shot dead unarmed, and without motivation.

Yet the man babies never make a peep about that. 🤔

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
A privileged white racist larping as against the establishment while doing that sickly ‘hey officer id like to report something out of the ordinary’ schtick. s**t OP.

You can’t expect to overthrow a government pledging to hang people with thousands descending and expect no response.

The leaders pushing these simple minded morons to take billets for them will ideally put themselves in harms way one day.

But they won’t. They’ll ask and succeed in getting these idiots (like the OP I’m sure) to donate their money and their lives.

Babbit is sitting in hell right now realising she got played.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I haven't a clue what you mean but I will fight to the death for your ability to say it.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
What happened to that Babbitt lady literally happens many times a year to black people in America. Only they're not breaking into government buildings when they're shot dead unarmed, and without motivation.

Yet the man babies never make a peep about that. 🤔
African American murders which are far higher than other groups are committed by....African Americans.

maroon and blue

Slayer of sheep
Oct 5, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
lions
Whitewash as much as you like as it seems you are the one trying (unsuccessfully) to sanitise Jan 6.
There is no whitewash, but there is a bunch of Democrats and Rino's pushing this charade simply to stop Trump running for president in 2024. But this is all hypothesis, come November there will be a change of regime in the Capitol .

Back