Unsolved Janine Vaughan - Bathurst * Investigative podcast by Hedley Thomas

Remove this Banner Ad

Those fantasists inserting themselves into high profile crimes cause a few problems. I'd like to understand the psychology behind it because there's at least one or two in every high profile case. They waste time, cost money and can undermine other genuine witness accounts.

Detectives working Janine’s case prepared as best they could for the inevitable scrutiny a public PIC probe was sure to attract, they had no idea the inquiry was about to throw up a surprise witness that would take their investigation off on a bizarre tangent.

Even today, the witness, a woman from Bathurst, can be known only as RA-1.

She would give evidence that she had seen a frantic Janine tied up in a passing car in the days after she vanished on Friday, December 7, 2001 — and the driver was Brad Hosemans.

Her testimony would further fuel baseless accusations the former detective was responsible for Janine’s death.

Her story soon unraveled and by the time she finished giving evidence, she was regarded as an unreliable fantasist.

From: Family of missing woman Janine Vaughan renew plea for information after father falls gravely ill, ABC News, 01 Feb 2023

"A 2009 coronial inquest found that Ms Vaughan was probably murdered by an unknown person, but the cause of death remains determined as unknown as her body was never found.
A police task force was established in 2013 to reinvestigate her disappearance and suspected murder.
In the decade since, the family has issued repeated pleas for help.
But Ms Vaughan's mother and grandparents have since passed away and her sister, Kylie Spelde, said her 74-year-old father, Ian Vaughan, was very ill in hospital.
"My dad had a fall and with that fall he had a heart attack at the same time," she said.
"It kind of hit home for us that, 20 odd years later, my dad is now sick and could potentially pass away and not know what happened to Janine."

Ms Spelde issued another plea for public help.
"It's now nearly 22 years and I just don't understand why the person who has done this hasn't even reached out just to say, 'Look, this is where she is', just so we could at least get some sort of burial for her," she said.

A $1-million reward is on offer for information about the disappearance of Janine Vaughan.
Anyone with information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000."

My money is on the cop. Potential Murder weapon went missing, interviews were tainted, lied about his alibi and had a massive crush and was known to lurk at her work and had her bought her gifts before.

Sometimes you just need to look at things really simply and when you put all that together it’s really a bit mystifying that he has been cleared already?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back