January 2014 Transfer Window

Remove this Banner Ad

Tony Barrett of The Times confirming that Liverpool are definitely interested in Montoya. Ian Ayre was photographed at Barcelona airport this morning and a day or 2 ago Barcelona said that contract renewal talks were "difficult". He's out of contract in the summer and like NFGKizza said he could be available for a very reasonable price.

Would be a great pickup and in addition to covering/providing competition for Johnson, it means that if Enrique is injured, Johnson can switch across to left back and we still retain an offensive threat on the right side (ie we don't have to play Flanagan or a CB there!)

He's on 60k euros a week tax free over there (probably equivalent to 100k a week taxed in the UK). if there''s any truth to the rumors it will be interesting to see if he will take a pay cut to join us. I would hope we pay him 70k a week max + incentives to start with, don't want another flop on high wages again that's difficult to move on.

Why would he take a paycut to join Liverpool? Give one good reason.

Why would he take a paycut to join Liverpool? Give one good reason.

He's at Rubin Kazan mate, they're not exactly a footballing powerhouse. Currently sitting 10th in the Russian League (after finishing 6th the last 2 years), playing alongside illustrious talents such as Jose Rondon, Chris Mavinga, Gokdeniz Karadeniz and Bibras Natkho.

I'd argue that there would be something wrong with him if he didn't want to take a paycut to join Liverpool.

Surely not? He just signed a few months ago.

We signed him nearly 2 years ago. But this is his first season back after a couple of loans.

He's clearly 6th in line for a CAM/winger spot in Jose's eyes so another loan is probably in the best interests of everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We signed him nearly 2 years ago. But this is his first season back after a couple of loans.

He's clearly 6th in line for a CAM/winger spot in Jose's eyes so another loan is probably in the best interests of everyone.

Ahh okay, apologies. Yes I assumed he only signed at the beginning of this season. Fair enough then. Well when even Mata isn't getting a regular game, you know the queue is a long one.

Shaw to Chelsea talk has started again. Cant see it happening just yet, but hopefully hes top of the list come summer to replace Cole.

Wouldn't surprise me if he turns down the big clubs (again). Is only 17 and will be able to develop his game well at Southampton a few years before looking to move. Signed a 5 year deal over the summer from memory

Wouldn't surprise me if he turns down the big clubs (again). Is only 17 and will be able to develop his game well at Southampton a few years before looking to move. Signed a 5 year deal over the summer from memory

Looks ready now to me, would be a walk up start for the LB position at Chelsea. Will be 19 before the start of next season and has said a few times his dream is to play for Chelsea one day.

But in all honesty its just Tabloid fluff and I can't see anything happening just yet.

Shaw won't be going anywhere for a while. Southampton aren't struggling financially and are doing well in the league so have no need to sell. If he does decide to move he is not going to be cheap, there are not many 18 year old week in, week out starters, let alone a player that can be included as home grown.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back