Society & Culture January 26

Remove this Banner Ad

No Australia Day = no problems.

Just get rid of it. Its become nothing a but a shitfight and a national embarrassment. Every year the same issues arise, the same controversies, people offended, people being arseholes. Just get rid of the day all together. Give us a public holiday later in the year and call it something else.

No Australia Day = no problems.

Just get rid of it. Its become nothing a but a shitfight and a national embarrassment. Every year the same issues arise, the same controversies, people offended, people being arseholes. Just get rid of the day all together. Give us a public holiday later in the year and call it something else.
lol.

Is January 1 (Federation) really any less racist than January 26?

Bunch of white people in the 1700s: hey let's set up camp in this place that isn't ours
Bunch of white people in 1901: hey let's join together all the colonies we set up in this place that isn't ours

and in a document we will call the constitution, let's specifically exclude aborigines! so they can't vote and we won't have to count when distributing federal money to the states on a per head basis

and then add sections that specifically allows the government to be racist, so we can cave in to the Victorians and introduce the White Australia policy!

To keep in the spirit of 1 January, it would only be a public holiday for whites

Is January 1 (Federation) really any less racist than January 26?

Bunch of white people in the 1700s: hey let's set up camp in this place that isn't ours
Bunch of white people in 1901: hey let's join together all the colonies we set up in this place that isn't ours

Ok...well i am out of dates.

Lets drop it altogether.

What would irk me more is if Anzac Day becomes a replacement Australia Day.

Lets drop it altogether.

Perhaps Indigenous people and those supporting change are voicing their frustration at their struggles today and in the past. Perhaps we as a nation, we don't recognise Indigenous culture enough in our calendar. Perhaps they deserve more than an indigenous round of footy run by the AFL.

Why not look at replacing Labour day or Queens Birthday for something respectful to indigenous people? Surely an indigenous day is more relevant than Labour day or the Queen.

Why not look at replacing Labour day or Queens Birthday for something respectful to indigenous people? Surely an indigenous day is more relevant than Labour day or the Queen.

Ditch the two holidays and replace something that better recognises our indigenous and multicultural culture. A day for each.

Much more relevant to today's society.

I lean towards the 'change the date' side, it would be nice to be able to celebrate our country with a date that doesn't spark heated debate each year. These debates do little to unite us.

I personally am looking forward to Australia Day being on a Friday this year - long weekend, but unlike if it's on the Monday, you can celebrate however much you like and have the next day to sleep it off. Perhaps in the absence of an appropriate date in summer that suits everyone, we can just celebrate our love of a long weekend and have say, the 3rd Friday of January off? Easter, the Queens Birthday, Labour Day etc. change every year, I wouldn't mind if Australia Day did as well.

Lets drop it altogether.

Well people need to work out what they want.

Changing the date because it's "racist" is a waste of time. Australia was settled by white people who brought white laws and white customs and our society that is still majority white is based around that. Wrap your white guilt around that, latte lefties. Everything good, bad or otherwise done by white people (or in fact any people that aren't indigenous) in Australia is a result of white settlement in 1788.

Changing the date because it's not inclusive or reflective of the nation has merit. Australia isn't just NSW, it's 6 states that federated in 1901 plus all the territories. I don't know what the percentages were in 1901 but I would imagine that the majority of 'Australians' were still migrants at that point. Jan 26 is really the same as WA Day/Foundation Day over here, with the exception that NSW was the first of the colonies established. As far as national days go it has a bit of a 'yeah that'll do' feel to it. Would be much less of an event if it was in July and would be a non-event if it wasn't a public holiday. The reason January has never seriously been proposed is that's already a public holiday.

The most logical date is Republic Day, which has yet to occur.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well people need to work out what they want.

Changing the date because it's "racist" is a waste of time. Australia was settled by white people who brought white laws and white customs and our society that is still majority white is based around that. Wrap your white guilt around that, latte lefties. Everything good, bad or otherwise done by white people (or in fact any people that aren't indigenous) in Australia is a result of white settlement in 1788.

Changing the date because it's not inclusive or reflective of the nation has merit. Australia isn't just NSW, it's 6 states that federated in 1901 plus all the territories. I don't know what the percentages were in 1901 but I would imagine that the majority of 'Australians' were still migrants at that point. Jan 26 is really the same as WA Day/Foundation Day over here, with the exception that NSW was the first of the colonies established. As far as national days go it has a bit of a 'yeah that'll do' feel to it. Would be much less of an event if it was in July and would be a non-event if it wasn't a public holiday. The reason January has never seriously been proposed is that's already a public holiday.

The most logical date is Republic Day, which has yet to occur.

Something like 20% of Australia's AIF in Ww1 were born in the UK

I'm getting sick and tired of the debate surrounding this. If an increasing number of Australians dislike January 26 and a lot don't care what day it is, then it is ceasing to be a unifying national day. If it has to be changed, so be it.

A replacement day in autumn, winter or spring probably wouldn't cut the mustard. Warm weather, pools, beaches and barbequeues are all culturally ingrained in our idea of the national public holiday. How about January 25? It would symbolise the fact that the day before the English settlers got off their ships, Indigenous Australians had been living here every day for tens of thousands of years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back