Society & Culture January 26

No there wasnt. If there was, you'd have seen a gradual improvement. The more hand-wringing that goes on, the worse things get.

Not when every suggestion we make receives a knock back from the government and in fact have seen cuts in funding to most areas contrary to what's being trotted out

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not when every suggestion we make receives a knock back from the government and in fact have seen cuts in funding to most areas contrary to what's being trotted out

During the Rudd / Gillard years spending increased year in, year out, yet they went backwards then too.

Hint: public money is not going to cure all the problems. Not even cure half the problems.

During the Rudd / Gillard years spending increased year in, year out, yet they went backwards then too.

Hint: public money is not going to cure all the problems. Not even cure half the problems.

We went backwards - do you have anything to back that up.

Hint: that statement could apply to Any area that receives funding

Eddie Mabo was born 29 June, died 21 Jan and the ruling handed down 3 June.

For me, his efforts as a gardener to take a challenge of "terra nulluis" to the high court is a remarkable achievement and possibly an awakening of Australian society that history wasn't something you could simply rewrite.

I would strongly support abolishing Labour Day in exchange for a significant moment in Indigenous history that resonates with all Australians. Perhaps Mabo provides that?

27 May being the 1967 referendum where Indigenous people became a part of Australia under our constitution is also significant but probably wouldn't resonate positively

Last edited:
You’d get rid of 2 holidays and replace them with 1? That wouldn’t go down well.

Or are you saying you’d leave Australia Day as is?

So it comes down to being about the holiday, not the reasoning behind it

I would think so. Do you think people would be happy losing a holiday?

I don't really care what people think about losing a day off - just sums up the discussion for those against changing the date in a nutshell.

You’d get rid of 2 holidays and replace them with 1? That wouldn’t go down well.

Or are you saying you’d leave Australia Day as is?

Keep Oz day and replace this with republic day in the future

Get rid of labour day and replace it with a celebration of indigenous culture

Oct 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
That is s**t and I hope the people are caught and punished. But what she was saying was intentionally inflammatory and divisive. Flying flags at half mast on a national day of celebration? Just another case of the greens desperately trying to find some relevance and attention.

I don’t really get the day of celebration thing. Since when is it a day of celebration? Since 10 years ago when people for some reason started putting plastic flags on their cars? It’s just a day off.

I’m not personally offended by it, but moving it wouldn’t worry me at all. What’s the difference? If it’s going to be a celebration, make it a day that all Australians will celebrate, not to the exclusion of the indigenous population.

Oct 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t really get the day of celebration thing. Since when is it a day of celebration? Since 10 years ago when people for some reason started putting plastic flags on their cars? It’s just a day off.

I’m not personally offended by it, but moving it wouldn’t worry me at all. What’s the difference? If it’s going to be a celebration, make it a day that all Australians will celebrate, not to the exclusion of the indigenous population.
Of course the day means different things to different people. But to me and my friends it is a day of celebration. We usually get together, either have a barbie or get out on the boat, spend a bit of time talking s**t about how lucky we are to live in such a great country.

I don't really care if they change the date as long as it stays in summer. So what date do you propose? Jan 28th works for me.

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Of course the day means different things to different people. But to me and my friends it is a day of celebration. We usually get together, either have a barbie or get out on the boat, spend a bit of time talking s**t about how lucky we are to live in such a great country.

I don't really care if they change the date as long as it stays in summer. So what date do you propose? Jan 28th works for me.

Whenever. Just a date that people aren’t offended by.

Of course, on a Friday or a Monday.

Back