Society & Culture January 26

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. Not in every sense. Marriage equality for example was something that needed to be changed as evidenced by the majority vote. It was an archaic belief system that is not supported by the majority of our society today.

My problem however is that these days it seems like we are almost embarrassed by our own culture. We have an endless barrage of minority groups that want to change things at the expense of our own values that most of us have embraced and enjoyed for generations.

If the Australian way or Australian culture is so shameful, why do so many people want to come here and call Australia their home?

We don't seem to be able to enjoy any calendar holidays these days that someone isn't offended by or wants to vocally protest against.

It's not about change as much as recognizing that our national day should be on the day we became a nation. Not when some englishmen with prisoners landed 100 or so years before.

The idea that people criticize X-mas, Easter or boxing day is silly. Itll never be removed and I've not met 1 person who has ever said or thought this, and in my employment we have a majority of non Christian's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's not about change as much as recognizing that our national day should be on the day we became a nation. Not when some englishmen with prisoners landed 100 or so years before.

The idea that people criticize X-mas, Easter or boxing day is silly. Itll never be removed and I've not met 1 person who has ever said or thought this, and in my employment we have a majority of non Christian's.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ok, so then why make it a racial issue? Do you find it odd that a lot of indigenous Australians aren't offended by "Australia Day"?

Personally, I would be against Australia Day being on the 1st January. Not for public holiday reasons but because the 1st January is New Years Day. Australia Day needs to be celebrated separately and not watered down by coinciding with another celebration.

The criticism of our public holidays is silly but it is happening every single time! Doesn't matter whether it's Australia Day, Christmas Day, Melbourne Cup Day, Grand Final Day, hell, even ANZAC Day! Personally, I think it's pretty sad. I'm not saying everyone has to appreciate everything, but if you don't, then don't ruin it for others who do.

Ok, so then why make it a racial issue? Do you find it odd that a lot of indigenous Australians aren't offended by "Australia Day"?

Looking at the info out there the majority are.

It really is a combination of respecting them and making a commonsense decision about when to celebrate the national day.

Personally, I would be against Australia Day being on the 1st January. Not for public holiday reasons but because the 1st January is New Years Day. Australia Day needs to be celebrated separately and not watered down by coinciding with another celebration.

So celebrating on the actual day we became a Nation youre against but youre for when a few boats arrived? Ok.

The criticism of our public holidays is silly but it is happening every single time! Doesn't matter whether it's Australia Day, Christmas Day, Melbourne Cup Day, Grand Final Day, hell, even ANZAC Day! Personally, I think it's pretty sad. I'm not saying everyone has to appreciate everything, but if you don't, then don't ruin it for others who do.

Once again I havent heard anyone rally against any of those days.

And no one is saying we shouldnt have a national day.

I've seen a few posts and made up memes trying to defend those says(from what I dont know) but no one has said to can them.

Closest I can think of was the reporter who said something about lest we forget the asylum seekers on ANZAC Day. Which isnt protesting the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back