Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

If you're in a downtown area and trying to find a good bar or izakaya, it pays to look up. Plenty of amazing stuff 4-5 levels up a dodgy lift in the most unassuming places

Hi guys spending about 3 weeks in Japan in January, booking flights next week. Anyone have a rough guide I.e cities to visit and things to pre-arrange

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been... Don't understand how that is relevant? Would go for longer but can only get 3 weeks annual leave.

It's relevant because if you travel from the east coast to europe with Korean air you can get a free stopover in Seoul for up to 18 hours each way ... so if you were a frequent flyer you could program that into your trip. I've done it the last 4 times and seen something different each time.

I love Seoul, but I'd stay in Japan and really do it well. Every region is subtely different in their food/lifestyle that you will pick up by being there - from the fresh seafood in hokkaido to the amazing street food of osaka and tokyo. Seoul can wait

Hi guys spending about 3 weeks in Japan in January, booking flights next week. Anyone have a rough guide I.e cities to visit and things to pre-arrange

january sumo is in Tokyo. chuck that on your list. after the last fight go across to the restaurants undr the tracks and have chanko nabe for dinner. good cold weather food

ちゃんこ道場 両国駅前店 these fellas give it a good crack at a good price. Sit on the floor and have a few beers with dinner. Address is
1 Chome-3-12 Yokoami, Sumida-ku, Tōkyō-to 130-0015, Japan

Last edited:
january sumo is in Tokyo. chuck that on your list. after the last fight go across to the restaurants undr the tracks and have chanko nabe for dinner. good cold weather food

ちゃんこ道場 両国駅前店 these fellas give it a good crack at a good price. Sit on the floor and have a few beers with dinner. Address is
1 Chome-3-12 Yokoami, Sumida-ku, Tōkyō-to 130-0015, Japan

Thanks for that. What date is the sumo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So I've booked flights, unfortunately couldn't get to Hokkaido as we are flying into Fukouka and flying back from Tokyo.
At this stage we are doing Fukuoka, Osaki, Kyoto and Tokyo and will be fitting in Hiroshima.
Any ideas on how to attack this for the experiences Japanese travellers? Obviously we won't be able to do each city properly but it's all the time I could get off- we want to spend 5 nights in Tokyo. Any advice would be appreciated, especially around accommodation. I've heard the traditional hospitality in Kyoto is sensational. Also anyone k ow where the snow monkeys can be found? Is it just Nagano?

Thanks for that. What date is the sumo?

sold from
December 5
First Day
January 10, 2016
Final Day

January 24, 2016

sumo.or.jp

Final day is great but sells out quickly

Each day the majors are on from 4 to 6pm (each wrestler fights once a day for 15 days) but get there at about 2 (3 at the latest) so you can watch the magoos. The rankings are always bouncing around anyway so the quality is good. Don't worry about coming in the morning (even though your ticket entitles you to) to watch the scrawny newbies. Don't leave early - 5-6pm is the best stuff.

you can have a few cans and some pretty good snacks while you watch.

Biggest choice is between seats in the upper area or flat seating on tatami squares in the lower, ringside area. If you can tolerate sitting crosslegged for 3 hours with no space to stretch out, go ringside. getting tickets really close to the action is more difficult and involved because it includes catering etc. and is usually for corp entertainment.

Before my breakfast plight continues in the future, i've gotta ask. Where the hell is breakfast? I walked around for ages this morning and eventually settled on a starbucks cause it was all i could find. I knew it wasnt a big thing, but dang, couldn't find anything.

Before my breakfast plight continues in the future, i've gotta ask. Where the hell is breakfast? I walked around for ages this morning and eventually settled on a starbucks cause it was all i could find. I knew it wasnt a big thing, but dang, couldn't find anything.
where are you?if you don't have a hotel breakfast you can go to a cafe. but usually the best bet is to get into any convenience store or bakery and grab some breads. 7 11. sunkus. family mart. lawson etc for convenience stores . for bakeries go to vie le france, anderson, paul etc

where are you?if you don't have a hotel breakfast you can go to a cafe. but usually the best bet is to get into any convenience store or bakery and grab some breads. 7 11. sunkus. family mart. lawson etc for convenience stores . for bakeries go to vie le france, anderson, paul etc
I'm in Tokyo. Ginza, specifically. I found a lot of cafes, but most didn't open until 11.
I'll keep the convenience stores in mind. I had a look in one yesterday but didnt think of it this morning.
I think i saw a proper bakery on my way around but it has a huge line waiting to go in.

I'm in Tokyo. Ginza, specifically. I found a lot of cafes, but most didn't open until 11.
I'll keep the convenience stores in mind. I had a look in one yesterday but didnt think of it this morning.
I think i saw a proper bakery on my way around but it has a huge line waiting to go in.
there is a large Cafe Doutor on Ginza crossing opposite Nissan gallery. coffee is poor but its all cheap.

get some of that deliciously sweet toast and some random spreads from a convenience store and have that at home.

the hotel breakfasts are also DELICIOUS... might take a little while getting used to having seafood for breakfast (you dont have to, theres always eggs, bacon and sausages) but congee, rice and fish is so damn delicious

Look for a Gusto. American diner type of chain with eggs/bacon/coffee etc.

Dirt cheap.

So I've booked Fukuoka. Just need some help with Osaka and Kyoto.
I've been looking at staying in Namba District for 3 nights before going to Mt. Koya for one night, then going to Kyoto.
I guess my question is has anyone stayed in the Namba District? Where would people recommend staying in Kyoto (district wise)? Also is going to Nagano worth it? Thanks in advance.

Also is Nagano the best spot to see snow monkeys? Or can it be done elsewhere?

You weren't kidding about that view from the Marriott, deathevocation.
From the 51st floor.
cfa770781f7c58206792348b2491b591.jpg

Does anyone have any good online sources to buy tickets for the Tokyo Grand Sumo competition?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back