Travel Japan

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
good thread.

I live in Hakuba during the Japanese winter. Currently looking at buying a small hotel here.

Main interest for tourists are

Snow monkeys...

Matsumoto Castle

and of course some of the worlds sickest powder...

Lucky bastard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Anyone know of good Japanese grocers in Melbourne? Boss coffee is easy enough to find but I'd love to locate a source of Chip Star and frozen onigiri

Helfarch

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
good thread.

I live in Hakuba during the Japanese winter. Currently looking at buying a small hotel here.

Main interest for tourists are

Snow monkeys...

Matsumoto Castle

and of course some of the worlds sickest powder...

so much jelly.

Matsumoto is pretty great. Stayed there on one of my trips. Enjoyed the castle, the school and the markets. Also the tiny bookshop sandwiched between 5+ story buildings.

It was weird going to the snow monkeys and seeing people basically power walk to the monkeys go "oh monkeys" then head back down at near literal break-neck pace. An older lady broke her wrist coming back down but there were guys with their kid on their shoulders :drunk:

I do not ski and therefore cannot comment on the sickness off the powder but I have heard it is of the fully variety.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cager Macleod

Gotta go ta BENDIGO to get me CUBE
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Seahawks, Anahiem Ducks, T-wolves
I'm thinking of going on my first overseas trip to Japan in October. I am thinking about doing 1 week in Tokyo first off because I have some Annual Leave in October but I am going to the Bathurst 1000 the first week.

I want to fly with Qantas because they do direct flights. I am okay to pay extra to fly with them but my main question is, what is the best way to book accommodation? I've never done anything like this before so it's a little overwhelming

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

crafty_bernardo

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm thinking of going on my first overseas trip to Japan in October. I am thinking about doing 1 week in Tokyo first off because I have some Annual Leave in October but I am going to the Bathurst 1000 the first week.

I want to fly with Qantas because they do direct flights. I am okay to pay extra to fly with them but my main question is, what is the best way to book accommodation? I've never done anything like this before so it's a little overwhelming

Airbnb is pretty good. You could look at staying around Shibuya for starters.

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers

My Airbnb experience was pretty good. It can be frustrating finding the places but the places themselves are good. For my trip I stayed in an Airbnb in Ginza - high end suburb in Tokyo.

Booking.com worked well too

Holy Rioli

Premium Gold
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
My Airbnb experience was pretty good. It can be frustrating finding the places but the places themselves are good. For my trip I stayed in an Airbnb in Ginza - high end suburb in Tokyo.

Booking.com worked well too
Mine was mixed - brilliant when I stayed in Shibuya, awful to the point I left after the first night and paid for a hotel in Osaka.

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Mine was mixed - brilliant when I stayed in Shibuya, awful to the point I left after the first night and paid for a hotel in Osaka.
Our Osaka airbnb was the worst of the lot too, but we weren't too fussed after three nights of capsule hotel in Kyoto!! Comparatively was a mansion

AFL Club
Essendon
If you only had time for one day trip from Tokyo to either of Hakone, Kamakura, Matsumoto or Nikko which should I go to? Also looking at staying in Ginza in Tokyo for 6 nights, any hotels I should look at?

TDHawks1

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NYG
If you only had time for one day trip from Tokyo to either of Hakone, Kamakura, Matsumoto or Nikko which should I go to? Also looking at staying in Ginza in Tokyo for 6 nights, any hotels I should look at?
I went to Nikko and Hakone and enjoyed both. Nikko gives you access to a lot of outdoor activities like waterfalls, hikes, and lakes. I didn't explore much of the town of Nikko itself but went out to Lake Chuzenji, Mt Hangestuyama, Ryuzu Falls and these types of places.

On a clear day you should be able to see Fuji from Hakone, and there's a ''free pass" for ~3000 yen which gives you use of buses, ferries, ropeways etc. One of my favourite photos is the red Tori gates on the edge of Lake Ashi in Hakone.

I'd assume Kamakura and Matsumoto would give you more access to historical sites and shrines. The Buddha statue in Kamakura looks pretty cool. It depends on what you want to see

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Any particular reason why Ginza?

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Locked in Ginza due to it being away from Shinjuku and Shibuya which from my research is like the times square of Tokyo? Correct me if I'm wrong before I book in a hotel. Happy to hear your thoughts on which area of Tokyo you'd recommend to stay in.
I stayed in Shibuya and Ginza, and spent most of the time in Shinjuku, Harajuku and Shibuya. My gripe against Ginza is it doesn't even feel like Japan, it's closer to New York. The streets and buildings are very open and spread out, unlike the majority of Japanese cities which are congested. Ginza is also very touristy because it has an abundance of high-end shopping outlets, and thus attracts more locals. All this said, two of the best meals I've had in Japan were in Ginza. All I'm saying is imo you're better off basing yourself elsewhere and just visiting Ginza for the day.

The comparison you make to Times Square is apt, but the beauty of Japan is even though it might seem chaotic it's organised chaos. Shinjuku and Shibuya are bloody awesome, especially when it comes to nightlife.

Igloo

Not a mod
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I stayed at the Sunroute Ginza. ~15 minute walk from Tokyo station. No complaints at all, really nice hotel.

As for the day trip, i've only been to Kamakura and Nikko, but I preferred Kamakura.

Top Bottom