Travel Japan

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
So I visited Japan last month. Spent a few days in Tokyo and then a few days in Kyoto. I think I could live there if I learnt the language. Makes such a difference being around people that are courteous and polite.

Tokyo was a bit too busy for my liking but still ok. I think it would take a few weeks to really see it all if cities are your thing. I much preferred Kyoto due to it being more traditional. Didn't get time to see any other towns though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Is it worth paying for the 21 Days JR Rail Pass $750

if Im catching a Shinkansen Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Tokyo
I think its nearly $200 each way for Tokyo to Kyoto = $400

Do regular trains cost much in Tokyo and Kyoto to make the JR pass worthwhile for the 21 days ?....Like $350 worth or do you need to go on lots of long train journeys to try and get value out it?

OR do I get the 14 day pass for $600
and start it on the first trip to Kyoto and the last trip back to Tokyo and all the bits in between , a few day trips out of Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka,maybe Hiroshima.to try and get $200 worth.

or just pay up front for 2 Shinkansen (T> K ,K> T) and get subway cards for the rest ?

Its my first time so I want to see lots of Tokyo and lots of Kyoto the rest is just extras ???

swingdog

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
If you're really budgeting just eat ramen all the time - most places are like 500Y. But seems like whatever information has informed your thinking is on the right track, particularly breakfast. Cafes don't exist so just grab something from Lawson, 7/11 etc.

Hard to give a proper ballpark when my most recent trip was motivated by food and was eating at Jiro etc. But feel like you could stick to 1,000Y per meal if you really wanted to
How was Jiro?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Is it worth paying for the 21 Days JR Rail Pass $750

if Im catching a Shinkansen Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Tokyo
I think its nearly $200 each way for Tokyo to Kyoto = $400

Do regular trains cost much in Tokyo and Kyoto to make the JR pass worthwhile for the 21 days ?....Like $350 worth or do you need to go on lots of long train journeys to try and get value out it?

OR do I get the 14 day pass for $600
and start it on the first trip to Kyoto and the last trip back to Tokyo and all the bits in between , a few day trips out of Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka,maybe Hiroshima.to try and get $200 worth.

or just pay up front for 2 Shinkansen (T> K ,K> T) and get subway cards for the rest ?

Its my first time so I want to see lots of Tokyo and lots of Kyoto the rest is just extras ???
There's a calculator on the JR website that shows you if a pass is worthwhile or not. Once you get the hang of it the train system is super user-friendly. You typically need long journeys to get the most out of it, so if you're just hanging out in those two cities I probably wouldn't get it.

You'll typically accumulate a shitload of coins doing day-to-day transactions and the train is often a good means of dumping them!

WCErevival

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
We got the 7 day pass to cover the Shinkansen and a few extra days. Then paid the other days individually.

Last edited:

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Yeah unreal man - one of those once in a lifetime things. It was the ugly duckling son's restaurant, but still amazing. Quality and freshness like you'd expect but also being able to witness them prepare each course and the care and dedication that goes into each piece is truly remarkable. I think we forked out $700-800 for two people.

One of those things where you obviously have to really enjoy food and appreciate that aspect of life, but really worthwhile if so :thumbsu:

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We got the 7 day pass to cover the Shinkansen and a few extra days. Then paid the other days individually.
Ive got 14 days in Tokyo and 14 days in Kyoto
So I was thinking 14 days pass used on the last day in Tokyo would get me there and back and lots of day trips in Kyoto ??

Hotels are booked so it would need to be round trips

I'll do the calculations.
Part of me thinks I will just want to hang around and absorb the atmosphere rather than be jumping around all over the place

AFL Club
Fremantle
Hawk Dork 14 days in Kyoto is plenty, I think you'll go stir crazy in that time, but that's just me. Since you have a month I'd seriously consider at least 2 days in Hiroshima and 2 or 3 in Fukuoka (best street food in Japan). Since your hotels are booked Hiroshima is an easy day trip from Kyoto, Fukuoka also doable but that'd be a long day. Obviously also go into Osaka, I like the Nanba area in Osaka. Kobe also has a good Chinatown with some decent food.

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Hawk Dork 14 days in Kyoto is plenty, I think you'll go stir crazy in that time, but that's just me. Since you have a month I'd seriously consider at least 2 days in Hiroshima and 2 or 3 in Fukuoka (best street food in Japan). Since your hotels are booked Hiroshima is an easy day trip from Kyoto, Fukuoka also doable but that'd be a long day. Obviously also go into Osaka, I like the Nanba area in Osaka. Kobe also has a good Chinatown with some decent food.
I am a fan of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masanobu_Fukuoka, but just read he wasnt from Fukouka.

I think I will hang dont think I will get stir crazy I like to absorb
I could easily spend a day going zen in bamboo forest
Im interested in Osaka and Hiroshima,I would like to see the giant Gigantor in Kobe too.

I cant do it all in one go, just go mad moving all the time
but I would like to see some rural agricultural Japan a bit of My Friend Totoro country
Would love to see a giant salamander too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright, good time of the year, best in my view. There's the main train line that runs along the cost there, probably go to Maizuru from Kyoto. I haven't checked this but most likely they will have a scenic and/or restaurant type open carriage train that will trundle along the coast while you're having a frostie and and a pig's ear pickled in aspic. Failing that any local train that runs along the coast will be good value and no-one will stop you from having a few tinnies on the train and a bite to eat. The tuck shops at the bigger stations are always good value for a proper Japanese boxed lunch (bento). If you get your zen on just trundling along for a day with no particular destination in mind then this should fit the bill.

Niximus

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redlegs
Got the Qantas deal that was happening earlier in the year and booked for 3 weeks in June. Osaka, Kyoto and Hiroshima. Very excited to be going back and seeing somewhere different to last time.

Top Bottom