Travel Japan

Niximus

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing we're keen to check out this time around is a 'Love Hotel'. Hopefully more of the type with interesting themes and decorations than just the 'regular hotel looking place to rent by the hour to bang' type.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

basashi

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
If you can get to Hiroshima, do it. Definitely a castle at Hiroshima, not worth going out of your way to see though. A Bomb Dome and Peace Park well worth it, and follow it up with an okonomiyaki.
My best bit of advice for Japan though is take your own pillow. Some of those things that they pass off for pillows in hotels are brutal.
Definitely go the okonomiyaki. You have to sit at the counter too. They might ask you what extra toppings you want. Cheese, mochi (chewy rice cake), are pretty popular. For the Aussie palate, I would go the cheese. Once they have made it you will have extra sauce and mayo to add to it. Order a beer to go with it. I am no west japan expert but I have always had good success in the arcades around Hon Dori when looking for Okonomiyaki, but others may know better.

As ever in Japan, copy other diners or ask "do desu ka?" (sound like "dough dess ka") to get advice on how to eat it.

If there are any Osaka people reading this, sorry, your okonomiyaki is a poor substitute and only acceptable when it is clear that there is no Hiroshima style nearby.

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Just got my Ghibli tickets, what an ordeal had to get them from JTB for triple the price because the Lawson website crashed at the 10AM on the 10th and our concierge doesnt understand English enough to go and buy us 2 from the Poli machine next door to them.
Got 21 Day JR pass too and a few Suicas.
Now I have to work out some more magical mystery train tours to eat my ekiben on and get my moneys worth.

Is it worth getting a mobile wifi ?
Or do you just go get a coffee and use theres ???

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
Just got my Ghibli tickets, what an ordeal had to get them from JTB for triple the price because the Lawson website crashed at the 10AM on the 10th and our concierge doesnt understand English enough to go and buy us 2 from the Poli machine next door to them.
Now I have to work out some more magical mystery train tours to eat my ekiben on and get my moneys worth.

I recommend pocket wifi purely for maps

crafty_bernardo

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Try get a SIM, especially if you’re travelling in a group of people it’s so convenient. Pocket wifi don’t last very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swingdog

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast

We did AirBnB and a lot of the places offered free pocket wifi as part of the deal. Very jealous about Ghibli - they were sold out months in advance when we went.

Hawk Dork

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Try get a SIM, especially if you’re travelling in a group of people it’s so convenient. Pocket wifi don’t last very long.

Only me and my wife

We did AirBnB and a lot of the places offered free pocket wifi as part of the deal. Very jealous about Ghibli - they were sold out months in advance when we went.
Ive booked hotels they have free wifi in them but not mobile.

Do people use the luggage transfer so you dont have to lug your luggage from trains to hotel ?
Any recommendations ?

Im catching the bus from the airport for the first hotel in Tokyo and its only a 5 minute train ride and a 10 minute walk so no problems but the Kyoto one needs a a few trains including a Bullett then a another train and a walk ?
and then repeat back to Tokyo and then the Airport

swingdog

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
No, we just walked but it was never that far. Japanese train stations are pretty well laid out for transfers from the Bullet to local trains. Kyoto station's not that big.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wadistance

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
If you’re near Shibuya two things you really must do.

1) ichiran ramen

Ichiran Shibuya
Japan, 〒150-0041 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya City, Jinnan, 1-chōme−22−7 岩本ビルB1F
+81 3-3463-3667
https://goo.gl/maps/oqedZnpWBaq

2) about life coffee

ABOUT LIFE COFFEE BREWERS - Specialty Coffee Stand
1-chōme-19-8 Dōgenzaka, Shibuya City, Tōkyō-to 150-0043, Japan
+81 3-6809-0751
https://goo.gl/maps/Ks9KzCjVfSR2

Ichiran is on another level to any ramen I’ve had

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots, LA Lakers
If you’re near Shibuya two things you really must do.

1) ichiran ramen

Ichiran Shibuya
Japan, 〒150-0041 Tōkyō-to, Shibuya City, Jinnan, 1-chōme−22−7 岩本ビルB1F
+81 3-3463-3667
https://goo.gl/maps/oqedZnpWBaq

2) about life coffee

ABOUT LIFE COFFEE BREWERS - Specialty Coffee Stand
1-chōme-19-8 Dōgenzaka, Shibuya City, Tōkyō-to 150-0043, Japan
+81 3-6809-0751
https://goo.gl/maps/Ks9KzCjVfSR2

Ichiran is on another level to any ramen I’ve had

Can confirm #2 if you're into coffee but never understood the fuss over Ichiran. Might've just been my experience but it was just so meh. My most recent trip to Japan was with a friend who is a ramen fiend - he wanted it everyday and I reckon we would've averaged two bowls in every three days, so fair to see we got around. Would've had Ichiran ranked near the bottom

Ishikawa

All Australian
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eh Ichiran is pretty average it’s just a franchise.

The best places to go are where there’s no English menu especially the ones where you press the vending machine buttons for your choices.
This place - Fu-Unji was absolutely unreal. Chicken and fish broth like nothing I have tasted before or since.

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.31.04 pm.png

And know it's a chain (though smallish), but love Afuri every time I go. Yuzu :thumbsu:

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.28.42 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-13 at 12.34.53 pm.png

Last edited:
AFL Club
Sydney
Moderator #668
Ive booked hotels they have free wifi in them but not mobile.
You'll be fine with just getting SIM's for your phones. Pretty simple to get at the airport and if you run out of data just pop into a Bic Camera and pick up another.

Do people use the luggage transfer so you dont have to lug your luggage from trains to hotel ?
You'll be fine as long as you have rolling cases, there is plenty of room on the skinkansen for luggage and as long as you don't travel on the metro at peak hour that won't be an issue either. Just take a case and backpack between you each. Also keep in mind most hotels have coin operated washing machines, so you don't need to bring too much clothing.

wadistance

Premiership Player
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
BvB, Boston Celtics
Eh Ichiran is pretty average it’s just a franchise.

The best places to go are where there’s no English menu especially the ones where you press the vending machine buttons for your choices.
That’s what I loved about ichiran. Granted I was only there for two days so didn’t get to eat much, I loved the whole idea of underground level single seat booth dining. Wish I’d heard of the other places when I was there

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom