Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
Just got back last week from a month there
Feet are killing me I have never walked so much in my life.
Ive got dodgy Achilles and all the stairs in train stations and lots of flat hard paths from one platform to another
Wife ended up with blisters
We caught a bullet train for a few hours every couple of days just to not have to walk.

Great place loved the people, the food,the culture, the landscape,the precision,the professionalism ,the zen.

21 day JR pass was well used
IC card was well used
I got a Wifi and that was well used.
Citibank debit card for cash from Lawsons was well used

Everything seemed cheaper than Australia, food, drinks ,accommodation, local trains and buses.
So many of the girls in Tokyo were stunning
The people are the nicest people you would ever meet
No one rips you off everyone goes out of their way to help

A bottle of Calvados from Bic Camera was cheaper than Duty Free (if you can find it) (about $30)
The food and French wine in Lawsons Family Circle or the supermarket was very good
Bottles of Bourdeaux or Tempanillo for about $13
The French pastrys and Italian food was also excellent
I will return
Hah, a fellow Nihon-koku fan.

Lived there for just under 6 years. Enjoyed every minute of it and would have been happy to have retired there.

Enjoy your next visit.

Cockliff38

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Might be a long-shot - can anyone recommend a good brand of red bean paste (anko) available in Aus

WhyAlwaysMe

6x Super Bowl Champion
Oct 4, 2005
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
New England Patriots M.C.F.C
So I’m heading to Japan for a couple of weeks in October after I do a tour of North Korea and a few days in Beijing.

I’m interested in going out to Mt Fuji (from Tokyo) and I’ve done a bit of research on tours etc and nothing seems to jump out at me so I’m contemplating driving out to the five lakes myself and making a day of it. I figure I’ll have my own freedom and I’ll get to a lot of places I wouldn’t be able to on a tour or on public transport. I’ve done a little bit of reading and it doesn’t seem as daunting as I thought it might be. I’ve driven in Europe and in the US but I feel an Asian country is a different kettle of fish. Does anyone have any experience driving in Japan and has anyone driven the five lakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
So I’m heading to Japan for a couple of weeks in October after I do a tour of North Korea and a few days in Beijing.

I’m interested in going out to Mt Fuji (from Tokyo) and I’ve done a bit of research on tours etc and nothing seems to jump out at me so I’m contemplating driving out to the five lakes myself and making a day of it. I figure I’ll have my own freedom and I’ll get to a lot of places I wouldn’t be able to on a tour or on public transport. I’ve done a little bit of reading and it doesn’t seem as daunting as I thought it might be. I’ve driven in Europe and in the US but I feel an Asian country is a different kettle of fish. Does anyone have any experience driving in Japan and has anyone driven the five lakes?
Catch a train from Tokyo and rent a car from near that station might be easier ?

Mockcockpit

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle

The roads are narrow and crowded but other than that there's nothing particularly difficult about driving in Japan. Just get yourself an international driving permit.

revo333

Club Legend
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m interested in going out to Mt Fuji (from Tokyo) and I’ve done a bit of research on tours etc and nothing seems to jump out at me so I’m contemplating driving out to the five lakes myself and making a day of it. I figure I’ll have my own freedom and I’ll get to a lot of places I wouldn’t be able to on a tour or on public transport.
The risk with doing a tour is if you go on a day with cloud cover and don't see Fuji at all then it's money and a day wasted.

The best strategy I was told was when you get to Tokyo look at the weather and pick the day that has the least cloud cover projected for the area.

I can't comment on driving but I took a train to a place where if there was no clouds gave you a great view of Fuji.

Sure, it's a long day but if you see it and it's a nice day then you feel pretty good about it on the train ride home.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
It is the shy mountain ,the day I went you could only just see the top as the clouds moved and it was a really clear day.
The next 2 times I randomly went past on the train you could see the lot

Ishikawa

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Can't report on the driving part, but got to those parts this spring and thought it was fantastic.

GOALden Hawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We are heading to Japan for three and a bit weeks in late December, early Jan. Looking at Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka and Takayama. Is Hakone worth it with a 5 year old? It looks good but bloody expensive for a couple of days.

Also what you you recommend for kids? Thinking Disneyworld and TeamLabs of course, but interested in some others, especially in Kyoto and Osaka.

Also keen to get to the sumo.

Hawk Dork

Hall of Famer
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
We are heading to Japan for three and a bit weeks in late December, early Jan. Looking at Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka and Takayama. Is Hakone worth it with a 5 year old? It looks good but bloody expensive for a couple of days.

Also what you you recommend for kids? Thinking Disneyworld and TeamLabs of course, but interested in some others, especially in Kyoto and Osaka.

Also keen to get to the sumo.
Universal Studio is in Osaka
Tokyo has Disney Sea as well as Disneyland

Mr Shankly

All Australian
Aug 7, 2006
Japan
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
E. Freo, Arsenal, Dallas Mavs

Legoland

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
For a 5 year old the Legoland experience on Odaiba is very good.

The sunshine aquarium in Ikebukuro is excellent for a 5yo. Some really imaginative displays including a curved glass penguin pool where you can see the penguins along side you and on top of you.

Seriously the best possible thing for a 5 yo is Tokyo dome city theme park. 5 is about the target age for about 70% of the rides. Get a wristband. There are some bigger rides that won't let the 5yo on but most do. https://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/en/tourists/attractions/information.html

Top Bottom