Travel Japan

Remove this Banner Ad

Tongue? That's nothing. Haha. I love it at yakuniku. There are many yakitori places which just sell offal skewers. There's the horse sashimi. There's the whale place in Shibuya which sells whale testicles. There's the chicken sashimi. Many Japanese eat the eyes of fish. Actually quite tame for Asia. Good to hear you enjoyed it though.

the ones that sell offal are called "motsuyaki" and there is a *ing awesome one in shinjuku san chome that i referred to earlier in this thread for eskie. 100% recommend it.

the charcoal grilled pork belly is great there but on the counter there is a small square slow cooker from whicb they serve yuda tan. a serve is one big thick slice of slow cooked tongue served in a flat dish with broth. bit of shichimi .... wow

Last edited:
the ones that sell offal are called "motsuyaki" and there is a ruddy awesome one in shinjuku san chome that i referred to earlier in this thread for eskie. 100% recommend it.

the charcoal grilled pork belly is great there but on the counter there is a small square slow cooker from whicb they serve yuda tan. a serve is one big thick slice of slow cooked tongue served in a flat dish with broth. bit of shichimi .... wow

Sounds great! Be great with beer and colleagues.

To everyone who smokes or has smoking friends, do yourself or them a favour and bring them back of Peace 21mg or Wakaba 19mg. Fun stuff.

My reservation at Wadakin in Matsusaka just got accepted... beef will never be the same again

I have probably been to Mie nearly 12 times but don't think I have eaten Matsusaka beef. Funny eh? Will make an effort next time to go that restaurant.

I have probably been to Mie nearly 12 times but don't think I have eaten Matsusaka beef. Funny eh? Will make an effort next time to go that restaurant.
I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive about cooking it in sugar but I've not heard anyone say anything negative about matsusaka beef so I'm happy to trust they know what they're doing :p. I'll make sure to get some pics and post in here

Went to Japan (solo) for the first time in October. Was over there for two weeks, and it was a great experience. Truly unlike anywhere I have ever been before.
  • Flew in to Tokyo, had a few days there and did a day trip to Hakone.
  • Moved on to Kyoto, some days exploring Kyoto, an overnight trip to Osaka, and day trips to Himeji and Nara.
  • Moved on to Hiroshima for a few days (one of which was the day of a typhoon), and then back to Tokyo for a few more days, a day trip to Nikko before returning home.
The main highlight would be the day trip to Himeji - lucked out with some great weather and ventured up Mt Shosha to the Engyoji temple complex. After weaving through crowded temples in Nara and Kyoto, it was so nice to have the whole area to myself and maybe 10 others at the Engyoji temple.
It's hard to describe being in the presence of a building that has stood since 966, in a silent, serene and beautiful location with basically no one else there. Finished the day with a tour of Himeji Castle which was also pretty cool.

Nikko was also a highlight despite not seeing any of the actual town. My day was spent taking the bus out to Lake Chuzenji, climbing Mt Hangetsuyama, seeing the Kegon, Ryuzu, and Yutaki waterfalls. Looking over Lake Chuzenji from Mt Hangetsuyama was fantastic with some of the trees showing autumn colours.

Definitely a place I'd like to return to, but with a group of mates as there are things I'd like to try that would be easier to do as a group rather than by myself.
that sounds basically like my trip in November/December last year. I ventured a little further south though to Kyushu and rented a car a visited some amazing remote temples. The Futago-ji temple is breath taking - and just like the Engyo-ji temple you get to take it in without hoards of people around and it blows you away.

My only regret wasn't taking more time to get off the beaten track and got stuck doing too much of the touristy stuff. Next time I'll rent a car for the whole trip and really get lost in country Japan.

that sounds basically like my trip in November/December last year. I ventured a little further south though to Kyushu and rented a car a visited some amazing remote temples. The Futago-ji temple is breath taking - and just like the Engyo-ji temple you get to take it in without hoards of people around and it blows you away.

My only regret wasn't taking more time to get off the beaten track and got stuck doing too much of the touristy stuff. Next time I'll rent a car for the whole trip and really get lost in country Japan.

Nice one, I just had a look at some photos of Futago-ji - it looks awesome with those stairs leading up to it. Furthest south I got was Fukuoka and it had a totally different feel to the rest of the country. Would also love to explore the more remote parts, particularly in Hokkaido.

Went and booked my accommodation before venturing into this thread.....I know bad mistake....
Japan is going to be my first Asian destination, previously done mostly places that spoke at least some English (Western Europe) or I had just barely enough French to get by (Morocco).

At the moment I have 5 nights in Tokyo, 2 nights in Kamakura (The first day I'm planning to leave Tokyo, spend the day in Yokohama then finish in Kamakura), 5 nights in Kyoto and 5 nights in Osaka. Planning to day trip to Nara and day trip to Himeji. I think I might like one more day trip somewhere while I'm in Kansai (Amanohashidate ? Ise ? Kumano ?) Any tips ?

At the moment I have 5 nights in Tokyo, 2 nights in Kamakura (The first day I'm planning to leave Tokyo, spend the day in Yokohama then finish in Kamakura), 5 nights in Kyoto and 5 nights in Osaka. Planning to day trip to Nara and day trip to Himeji. I think I might like one more day trip somewhere while I'm in Kansai (Amanohashidate ? Ise ? Kumano ?) Any tips ?

Will you have the JR Pass? If you do, why not take the bullet train to Hiroshima? That's pretty much a (full) day trip, and only about 90 minutes one way, from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will you have the JR Pass? If you do, why not take the bullet train to Hiroshima? That's pretty much a (full) day trip, and only about 90 minutes one way, from memory.

I'm not planning on it as it won't pay off. Well it pays off if I go to Hiroshima by bullet train, but then I'm also cramping all my train travel into a 7 day window because of the consecutive days thing.

Was thinking about the Seishun 18 Kippu pass (5 days, non-consecutive, cheap but only slow trains), which pays off if I use it to go from Kamakura to Kyoto (While this takes about 8 hours straight travel, I feel like I'm okay with the idea of something like leave at 7am, breakfast in Atami, lunch in Toyoyashi, dinner in Maibara, arrive Kyoto at like 9pm). If I get that pass then I have one free day to go somewhere, but probably limited to kansai, due to only slow trains.

I'm not planning on it as it won't pay off. Well it pays off if I go to Hiroshima by bullet train, but then I'm also cramping all my train travel into a 7 day window because of the consecutive days thing.

Was thinking about the Seishun 18 Kippu pass (5 days, non-consecutive, cheap but only slow trains), which pays off if I use it to go from Kamakura to Kyoto (While this takes about 8 hours straight travel, I feel like I'm okay with the idea of something like leave at 7am, breakfast in Atami, lunch in Toyoyashi, dinner in Maibara, arrive Kyoto at like 9pm). If I get that pass then I have one free day to go somewhere, but probably limited to kansai, due to only slow trains.

All depends on where you are travelling and personal choice, but when travelling through country areas or when I am not time poor, I enjoy the express/standard trains over the bullet train. Probably go to Hokkaido this year during winter and will travel up north on trains. Should be fun.

Anyone rented a car in Japan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yep - prices are reasonable if you are in a regional area. Driving is frustrating over there though, the speed limits are quite low (there more guides anyway and if you stick to them you'll piss people off) and there are no round abouts or turn left with care at traffic lights, so getting around is quite slow even in country Japan.

Filling up at automated service stations is an interesting experience as well, learning some basic Japanese so you can ask for help goes a long away.

The view itself though when you are driving, going areas were other tourists don't go is amazing and well worth it.

If I get that pass then I have one free day to go somewhere, but probably limited to kansai, due to only slow trains.

Fair enough. Well, of the three places you mentioned I've been to Amanohashidate and Ise, and both are beautiful spots. Koya-san in Wakayama Prefecture is another option, but if you go there I'd recommend staying overnight at a temple for a unique experience. And there's always a day in Kobe, only half an hour or so from Osaka.

All depends on where you are travelling and personal choice, but when travelling through country areas or when I am not time poor, I enjoy the express/standard trains over the bullet train. Probably go to Hokkaido this year during winter and will travel up north on trains. Should be fun.

Oh man, Hokkaido during Japan's summer. My dream holiday to escape the humidity. One of these days I'll make it a reality!

Oh man, Hokkaido during Japan's summer. My dream holiday to escape the humidity. One of these days I'll make it a reality!

Been there during the Japanese summer. Nice. I don't think people realise how humid Honshu gets until they experience it.

yep - prices are reasonable if you are in a regional area. Driving is frustrating over there though, the speed limits are quite low (there more guides anyway and if you stick to them you'll piss people off) and there are no round abouts or turn left with care at traffic lights, so getting around is quite slow even in country Japan.

Filling up at automated service stations is an interesting experience as well, learning some basic Japanese so you can ask for help goes a long away.

The view itself though when you are driving, going areas were other tourists don't go is amazing and well worth it.

Turn left with care is a northern state thing in Australia right? Saw people turning left against the red in NSW once and thought WTF was going on.

Turn left with care is a northern state thing in Australia right? Saw people turning left against the red in NSW once and thought WTF was going on.
I only know one set of lights here in QLD where you can turn left with care if it is red (I'm sure there are others). The issue with Japanese lights, and I'm sure you know this, there isn't this type of setup (pretend there are lights at the intersection)

upload_2018-3-6_16-32-27.png

Heading over on Sunday for 3 weeks - can't wait and the weather looks favourable heading into sakura season.

The trip is bookended with stints in Tokyo (Shibuya and Ginza) but we're also going to Lake Kawaguchiko, Hakone, Magome (as per a recommendation I read in here), Kyoto, Kobe and Osaka - most likely a day-trip to Nara at some point too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back