Travel Japan

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Going over the first time in February I reckon. I haven't seen snow.

Pretty cliché sort of thing these days, every cashed up bogan is heading to Japan instead of Thailand and these days it seems there's an unfounded smugness for these sorts... aka the New York City, Paris, and Greece and 'doing Barcelona' but nowhere else tribe!

******* hell, just ask for advice on a popular tourist destination. There's no need to push your credentials as someone who's unlike the unwashed, uncouth masses.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Is every cashed up bogan really going to Japan? Weird comment. Haven’t had any bad experiences coming across Aussies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Never had a problem with the Narita express, though the bus is the better option if you are not I k my ok
staying near Shinjuku as it does stop at more places.

K

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Last time I went and used Narita Express I was standing at number 5 instead of number 4 waiting for the last one for the night at 7pm? Was only about 5 metres away from the correct door and it went by like speedy Gonzales.

Had to take about 5 trains to get to the airport. Was fun

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club

Pretty cliché sort of thing these days, every cashed up bogan is heading to Japan instead of Thailand and these days it seems there's an unfounded smugness for these sorts... aka the New York City, Paris, and Greece and 'doing Barcelona' but nowhere else tribe.

Anyway, three weeks. Give us a trip.

I want good food, a mix of the intensity and the calmness, not really fussed at all about snowboarding (ain't my scene), and beer and saké. Places to both relax and take in the tranquility and areas where I can sink a heap of piss, hang out all night, and eat sick food. Shopping, architecture a bonus.

Cheers!

where are you staying?

Are you supposed to tip in Japan?
No - in most instances it is considered offensive.

However if you go to more American style places (like Hard Rock Cafe) they'll expect you to tip and actually add it to your bill.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC

However if you go to more American style places (like Hard Rock Cafe) they'll expect you to tip and actually add it to your bill.
Ok that's good to know. We forgot to offer a tip to the bell boy and thought we offended him.

chargers 09

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
A shithole
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Baltimore Ravens

Pretty cliché sort of thing these days, every cashed up bogan is heading to Japan instead of Thailand and these days it seems there's an unfounded smugness for these sorts... aka the New York City, Paris, and Greece and 'doing Barcelona' but nowhere else tribe.

Anyway, three weeks. Give us a trip.

I want good food, a mix of the intensity and the calmness, not really fussed at all about snowboarding (ain't my scene), and beer and saké. Places to both relax and take in the tranquility and areas where I can sink a heap of piss, hang out all night, and eat sick food. Shopping, architecture a bonus.

Cheers!

Stay near Dotonbori Street when you go to Osaka.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tokyo still my favourite city I've ever visited. Hoping to get back in the next 5 years and see some places I didnt get to, mainly Yokohama and the North. Very hard though with so many other countries on the list and can only take about one trip a year at max.

Tokyo still my favourite city I've ever visited. Hoping to get back in the next 5 years and see some places I didnt get to, mainly Yokohama and the North. Very hard though with so many other countries on the list and can only take about one trip a year at max.
If you ever get the chance, try renting a car in Kyushu, and drive to some of the famous but hidden temples and shrines. Stunning scenery and very few foreigners and you'll come back with so many more memories than the average tourist.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club

Yeah i would second this. Some people say it is not needed, but the reality is worse than that. It is actually offensive.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
That comment certainly applies for the ski areas but not for the country as a whole

Yep, the snow in Japan is great, the terrain is absolute s**t for the most part. Is ski resorts is probably second only to Canada (Whistler & Big white especially) for encounting ugly Aussies

Spend the extra 20% and go to Austria/Switzerland or Canada/USA if you are an advanced skier/snowboarder.

Japan is good for powder on mediocre runs, that’s it.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Going in a few monhs was trying to work out how much cash I need to top up my debit card ?
Im going to try and pay for as much as I can before I go
but
2 people 30 days just food and entry fees, (Temples museums etc.)

Whats a ball park per day for breakfast, lunch and dinner,cheap ?

Breakfast 7/11 sandwich and coffee ?
Lunch Bento ?
Dinner Sushi or Ramen ?

Price of beer and coffee?

Sep 9, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Going in a few monhs was trying to work out how much cash I need to top up my debit card ?
Im going to try and pay for as much as I can before I go
but
2 people 30 days just food and entry fees, (Temples museums etc.)

Whats a ball park per day for breakfast, lunch and dinner,cheap ?

Breakfast 7/11 sandwich and coffee ?
Lunch Bento ?
Dinner Sushi or Ramen ?

Price of beer and coffee?
If you're really budgeting just eat ramen all the time - most places are like 500Y. But seems like whatever information has informed your thinking is on the right track, particularly breakfast. Cafes don't exist so just grab something from Lawson, 7/11 etc.

Hard to give a proper ballpark when my most recent trip was motivated by food and was eating at Jiro etc. But feel like you could stick to 1,000Y per meal if you really wanted to

Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
Make lunch your splurge meal as even for up market restaurants the lunch specials are reasonable. Mid size draught beer will be 600 yen or so in Tokyo, 400-550 elsewhere. Family restaurants Gusto, Joyful and the like will do you a sit down toast and scrambled eggs and a coffee for 500 yen or so.
Must take issue with the above poster, there are cafes everywhere in Japan. I like Doutour, get a nice ham and salad sandwich and a cuppa for 600-700 yen. 650-1000 yen is more realistic for ramen ime.
Edited- A lot of supermarkets have a sit down area with tables and chairs, somewhere to charge devices and a microwave, hot water in an urn. Go after 7pm or so and the ready to eat meals will be half price. Also a lot of supermarkets offer self service fried chicken, yakitori, fish etc. Buy an apple and a ready to serve salad and you're set. A lot of convenience stores will have a similar but obviously smaller set-up
Learn these words for restaurants: tabe-hodai (all you can eat) and more importantly nomi-hodai (all you can drink). Seriously good value in Japan but most will be time limited to 90-120 minutes.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2011
Japan
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think that's more than enough, value for money as regards to food is as good in Japan as it is anywhere in my view and no real worries about getting the squirts. And the further you get out of Tokyo the better the value ( Tokyo is seriously awesome just hexy compared to elsewhere in Japan)

. Cafes don't exist so just grab something from Lawson, 7/11 etc.
There are heaps of Tully's and Starbucks around in Tokyo. But you make a point in that there is plenty of easy/convenient food from the Lawson's/Family Marts etc. Plenty of Maccas/Burger King/Wendy's around as well for cheap meals.

I think that's more than enough, value for money as regards to food is as good in Japan as it is anywhere in my view and no real worries about getting the squirts. And the further you get out of Tokyo the better the value ( Tokyo is seriously awesome just hexy compared to elsewhere in Japan)
Eat enough pork buns from convenience stores and things will start to smell different when you go to the toilet though haha.

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
So I visited Japan last month. Spent a few days in Tokyo and then a few days in Kyoto. I think I could live there if I learnt the language. Makes such a difference being around people that are courteous and polite.

Tokyo was a bit too busy for my liking but still ok. I think it would take a few weeks to really see it all if cities are your thing. I much preferred Kyoto due to it being more traditional. Didn't get time to see any other towns though.

Hawk Dork

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Zombie Lover BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 9, 2005
on the road to nowhere
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
Is it worth paying for the 21 Days JR Rail Pass $750

if Im catching a Shinkansen Tokyo to Kyoto, Kyoto to Tokyo
I think its nearly $200 each way for Tokyo to Kyoto = $400

Do regular trains cost much in Tokyo and Kyoto to make the JR pass worthwhile for the 21 days ?....Like $350 worth or do you need to go on lots of long train journeys to try and get value out it?

OR do I get the 14 day pass for $600
and start it on the first trip to Kyoto and the last trip back to Tokyo and all the bits in between , a few day trips out of Kyoto, Kobe, Osaka,maybe Hiroshima.to try and get $200 worth.

or just pay up front for 2 Shinkansen (T> K ,K> T) and get subway cards for the rest ?

Its my first time so I want to see lots of Tokyo and lots of Kyoto the rest is just extras ???

swingdog

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 3, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
If you're really budgeting just eat ramen all the time - most places are like 500Y. But seems like whatever information has informed your thinking is on the right track, particularly breakfast. Cafes don't exist so just grab something from Lawson, 7/11 etc.

Hard to give a proper ballpark when my most recent trip was motivated by food and was eating at Jiro etc. But feel like you could stick to 1,000Y per meal if you really wanted to

How was Jiro?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back