Recommitted Jared Polec [contracted and staying at North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

worthless as a trade pick maybe a top team gets him in for depth with knowledge he will play mostly VFL

Pick in the 40’s
Should of taken a pick in the 40’s last year. Would be delisted this year if he didn’t have 2 years to run on his contract. Zero trade value.

I get pretty much any other position on the field needing to have a defensive element to their game, but surely wingers are meant to simply provide forward run? As if it was reason enough to drop him after a game he received coaches votes from the opposition coach!

Especially given he was asked to play defensively on F'ing Patrick Cripps! WTF Rhyce? lol
As an example, Duursma who replaced Polec on the wing for us regularly takes marks in both defence and forward. They need to be two way runners.

Still on 500k per year at the very least. With uncertainty of salary caps nobody's taking that punt on a dude who's shown to be me first.

I'm under no illusions that any club will be interested in Polec, but your comments here are incorrect.

I have a lot of views about Brad Scott/Cam Joyce & their "warchest" tirade, however one thing I will give them, is that they did front-load these deals. Majority of his contract was paid in the first 2 years.

I like him. He isn't worth anything in a trade but I'd keep him on the list.
In the unlikely event that his foot comes good, he is really well suited to Noble's game style.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what are polecs good qualities?

Well, he had a 5th in the John Cahill Medal in 2018 and 7th in the Syd Barker Medal in 2019, so it was not that long ago coaches were prepared to overlook his defensive flaws for his offensive game. Injuries have played as much of a part in hindering him since as his defensive efforts too. He's not a lost cause situation, I certainly think he's too good for VFL, just 1) not worthy of his contract 2) not a star and 3) he is the cream, not the cake.

Unfortunately in terms of these overpaid players, the idea ends up being player not worth contract = player not good enough for AFL level, which is just plain wrong (have seen it with Zac Williams being called a VFL player this year, when he's just not a good mid, and other players like Stringer, Mayne, Hill, Motlop at various stages of their careers).

So really, I think he has good speed, good endurance, and on the one side he can kick he can be very good. Good goalsense, able to break the lines. Not actually all that soft at the contest - he's not Selwood/Cotchin obviously, and due to his attributes it's obviously better if a Cunnington, McDonald, Turner cracks in and he waits outside, but he isn't just out and out soft.

His flaws are his defensive running, the fact that every player knows he can't kick on his right and therefore becomes easy to corrall and stop his attack, he isn't that strong/gets bumped off it easily, and in regards to list management, his contract and injury issues.

I do think top 6 clubs would benefit from a fit Polec though. Wouldn't pay much to get him and consensus is that his highest paying days of the contract have been paid - even if North chipped in half for 2 years, just to get something for him.

I guess the other thing is that I don't think many wingman are all that different to him. When you reel off the list of top line wingman in 2021, I don't think of any as being elite defensively, Langdon being the standout for getting back, and others probably just do the team defense stuff, and most do have the same one sided issues. Yes lots are better but his flaws are overstated and don't make him VFL tier.

Well, he had a 5th in the John Cahill Medal in 2018 and 7th in the Syd Barker Medal in 2019, so it was not that long ago coaches were prepared to overlook his defensive flaws for his offensive game. Injuries have played as much of a part in hindering him since as his defensive efforts too. He's not a lost cause situation, I certainly think he's too good for VFL, just 1) not worthy of his contract 2) not a star and 3) he is the cream, not the cake.

Unfortunately in terms of these overpaid players, the idea ends up being player not worth contract = player not good enough for AFL level, which is just plain wrong (have seen it with Zac Williams being called a VFL player this year, when he's just not a good mid, and other players like Stringer, Mayne, Hill, Motlop at various stages of their careers).

So really, I think he has good speed, good endurance, and on the one side he can kick he can be very good. Good goalsense, able to break the lines. Not actually all that soft at the contest - he's not Selwood/Cotchin obviously, and due to his attributes it's obviously better if a Cunnington, McDonald, Turner cracks in and he waits outside, but he isn't just out and out soft.

His flaws are his defensive running, the fact that every player knows he can't kick on his right and therefore becomes easy to corrall and stop his attack, he isn't that strong/gets bumped off it easily, and in regards to list management, his contract and injury issues.

I do think top 6 clubs would benefit from a fit Polec though. Wouldn't pay much to get him and consensus is that his highest paying days of the contract have been paid - even if North chipped in half for 2 years, just to get something for him.

I guess the other thing is that I don't think many wingman are all that different to him. When you reel off the list of top line wingman in 2021, I don't think of any as being elite defensively, Langdon being the standout for getting back, and others probably just do the team defense stuff, and most do have the same one sided issues. Yes lots are better but his flaws are overstated and don't make him VFL tier.

Duursma is brilliant defensively...almost to a fault as he continually puts his body on the line backing into marking contests.
He's everything and more than Polec ever was for us.

Guy cleary has talent. Seems like a Geelong type of acquisition
At 28 he is too young for their age demographic

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

When he's fit he's one of the best deliveries by foot in the comp.

Does things others cant, and kicks long goals.

He's a weapon that adds to a team that is winning more than its fair share of the ball. If the team is defending all day, he isn't going to be all that much help.

I am sick of hearing how good a kick he is. His good kicks are fine but the number of poor kicks, even on his preferred foot, far outweigh the good ones

Duursma is brilliant defensively...almost to a fault as he continually puts his body on the line backing into marking contests.
He's everything and more than Polec ever was for us.
Agree. Lachie Hunter runs hard to take his position in our zone as well, but he's a natural VO2 Max freak.

What would the rough cost be for Polec + Cunnington?

As much as he was a whipping boy, we have never found a replacement for Brandon Ellis' run and McIntosh can play a defensive wing with Polec on the offensive side it could be a better fit than most. We've tried Caddy, Pickett, Parker, Naish, Short, Castagna, etc etc on the other wing with no luck.

We don't rely on clearances, but there are times a team can't afford to lose clearances and it feels like Cunnington would help us minimise a major weakness when it's required.

A second rounder? Two? I genuinely can't gauge it with Cunnington, he is a jet but has a lot of availability issues and ain't young.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back