Recommitted Jared Polec [contracted and staying at North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Getting dropped twice in three games after insipid team performances doesn't augur well for Polec and they were much better without him in the side yesterday. He is however holding a big contract with another three years after this.

Reckon the size and length of contract would put potential new clubs off. If Shaw isn't a fan, it will be interesting to see what North do from here.

Polec's problem is he's a finishing product and we don't have anything for him when we have hard workers like Cunnington out. He'd be cream for a well rounded midfield.

He started in the middle on Cripps a few weeks ago and was predictably slaughtered before going back to the wing and being one of our best after quarter time. He was then dropped. Shaw seems to be trying to either teach him a lesson or turn him into something he isn't.

He started in the middle on Cripps a few weeks ago and was predictably slaughtered before going back to the wing and being one of our best after quarter time. He was then dropped. Shaw seems to be trying to either teach him a lesson or turn him into something he isn't.

That was interesting, especially because he got 4 coaches votes that game too. Makes you wonder if there's some KPIs, especially defensively, that he might not be meeting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doubt it he didn't leave on great terms
I can't see him wanting to come back, we wouldn't give him the length he wanted, but besides that I don't think there were too many other issues, so not sure how bad the terms were.

Just on this, I thought he was pretty good for North last year. He's not a inside mid, and never will be so if that's what Shaw wants from him then yeah this won't work out.

I just find it odd that North gave up a bit for him in terms of a trade and now he would only get a mid second rounder.

A club with the million or so dollars a year that North paid doesn't really exist unfortunately.

I would be really happy to get him to the Bulldogs if the Roos were going to front a bunch of the contract. He wouldnt have to be the go to guy in with our midfield, and would really complement our inside strengths. Dogs were already needing a second winger to play opposite to Hunter, and this was especially evident with the time Hunter spent out.

That being said, I wouldnt be paying him much and I wouldnt be giving the Roos much. So maybe that keeps us out.

I think we'd be happy to pay part of the contract but a club is going to have to front up a reasonable pick for it to make any sense for us to do that. No sense paying him to play for someone else unless we get something decent in return. I think the club would be happy to keep him if no one comes to the table.

Contract isn’t an issue

front ended heavily over the first 2 years he was with us so the next 3 years he is on much less

we would expect a pick 20-30

or a young best 22 player
Worth a pick #40+

Going back 2 years ago there was a Polec thread and i was a regular poster on there about him , Very over rated player and will only suit a team thats in the top 4 effectively a down hill skier but in saying that if he wanted to come to Richmond on $350k at a late 2nd i would consider that but nothing more

Doesn't bode too well when a 27 year old is dropped. Quite a few years on contract and probably a decent salary, I can't see a lot of suitors here. Maybe if North pay some of the contract a team in the flag window might pony up a late second rounder.

3 years left on his contract as well. Apparently it was heavily front ended but even if he's only on 500k by now, his inability to perform week in week out for this North side would hardly inspire any suitors. I think North's best bet would be to try and rebuild his confidence and his game and get the best out of him that they can. He can be a decent player when he's on, if the Roos can restore him to what he was, he'll be better than anything they'll be offered in a trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back