Recommitted Jared Polec [contracted and staying at North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

Something must of happened there's no way he is not in Norths top 10 players let alone best 22.
Would definitely be worth getting for another club has alot to offer.

Let's not pretend Polec isn't a very good player in particular as a finishing product. He's in the wrong team. I'm not going to start handing him off to clubs not knowing the parameters of the salary cap and squad lists in 2021 but he'd find a home in most of the current top 12 IMO, especially if we're carrying par of his salary.

Despite that, I think right now he's at North next year.

He's a good player but I think his flaws and his age plus that contract will make club's very wary. Unless north pay a fair whack of his wage I doubt anyone wants him. Given this draft is compromised it may be that club's value picks less and are willing to trade for risky players..in a 'normal' draft I doubt you would get a buyer for him.

He's a good player but I think his flaws and his age plus that contract will make club's very wary. Unless north pay a fair whack of his wage I doubt anyone wants him. Given this draft is compromised it may be that club's value picks less and are willing to trade for risky players..in a 'normal' draft I doubt you would get a buyer for him.
I always liked him as a player a d was sad that he left. In the end it was the length and $$$ in the contract. Port just weren't will to go to that level. And now essentially there's the problem, the contract in moving him on.

I still don't understand what has happened, he's a good player and when has played for North that I have seen he has been pretty good.

Sometimes he drops his head and gets lazy and does need a rocket. Maybe that's what this is??? Who knows.

Something must of happened there's no way he is not in Norths top 10 players let alone best 22.
Would definitely be worth getting for another club has alot to offer.

Spot on.

Have to wonder if he has done the dirty on one of his teammates ?

Can't think of a rational explanation why he can't get a game for the 2nd worst team in 2020 otherwise.

You know polec is not a defensive beast and will not lay 10 tackles or physically intimidate players, its not his game and never will be. I also don't fully understand the 2 way running criticism, he never appears to be always ahead of the ball and generally works back defensively (i think his heat maps generally prove that).

The only issue is that often he does appear to run to odd spots to get a cheap possession. I used to find he would get alot of dinky kicks way deep in the back pocket which is not really where you want him finding the footy. But id be stunned if that was solely the reason he has been dropped twice. All seems a bit odd.

You're entitled to your view, my gauge is it's in the minority. Like all it can only be proven right or wrong.

wonder how much of his salary North would be willing to pay for a decent pick in return?

Or on a sliding scale what they would accept depending on how little of his contract they continue to pay?

Last edited:
I highly doubt North are looking to get rid of Polec. They would be continuing to play him to drive up his value.

North apparently happy to trade polec and take some of his contract if someone wants him. Any takers?

n.

I still don't understand what has happened, he's a good player and when has played for North that I have seen he has been pretty good.

Sometimes he drops his head and gets lazy and does need a rocke
t. Maybe that's what this is??? Who knows.

Really !!

Good players specially ones that have moved clubs for BIG $$$ on a long term contract at their 3rd club dont have the luxury to get 'lazy' or should need a rocket. He is extremely well paid and at his age on the contract he is on should not need a rocket to earn his keep.

Lazy is what he is and enjoying life on easy st

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec was brought in at the end of 2018 and played every game last year.

Brad Scott resigned after Rd 10 and Rhyce Shaw took over the team for the last 12 games and then this season. North finished 7-5 in the last 12 last year and Polec was good. Polled Brownlow votes twice (our of 3 times for the season) and finished the year with 32 touches and a goal in Rd 22 and 29 touches and 2 goals in Rd 23.

Had a couple of quiet games this year but picked up 25 touches (16 contested!) and a goal in Rd 8 and was awarded 4 coaches votes (North BOG on that metric, Luke McDonald the only teammate to poll with 1) then got dropped the following week. Missed Rd 9, played Rd 10 and 11 and hasn't been seen since.

Just seems weird that he is suddenly out of favour. BBB at least was really struggling to have an impact.

wonder how much of his salary North would be willing to pay for a decent pick in return?

Or on a sliding scale what they would accept depending on how little of his contract they continue to pay?

Roos will be paying a fair chunks he will slot nicely in a team challenging.

Let's not pretend Polec isn't a very good player in particular as a finishing product. He's in the wrong team. I'm not going to start handing him off to clubs not knowing the parameters of the salary cap and squad lists in 2021 but he'd find a home in most of the current top 12 IMO, especially if we're carrying par of his salary.

Despite that, I think right now he's at North next year.

If the right team can be found , at the right price he would be they type of player that could be a match winner in a big "Sept" final. ..the counter to that is he is now looking for his fourth club.. , I wonder how much the perceived lack of pressure will diminish his value.

What would it take for him to NOT be at North next year?

If the right team can be found , at the right price he would be they type of player that could be a match winner in a big "Sept" final. ..the counter to that is he is now looking for his fourth club.. , I wonder how much the perceived lack of pressure will diminish his value.

What would it take for him to NOT be at North next year?

Personal view (obviously), I think we'd subsidise a lot of that wage to get a second rounder wherever it sits. There may also be a club that has to meet a bid that may rather take on a subsidised Polec then lose the pick (in a warped version of the events that saw us get him in the first place).

Personal view (obviously), I think we'd subsidise a lot of that wage to get a second rounder wherever it sits. There may also be a club that has to meet a bid that may rather take on a subsidised Polec then lose the pick (in a warped version of the events that saw us get him in the first place).

You would rather a pick than a player? It hard as a non NM supporter to gauge them and their direction. personally Id not be in a rush to make any sort of harsh judgements on coach or player this year... Polec ..however has history.. and is a known commodity with a bank of games to judge him on. Maybe he just doesn't fit Shaws type..it happens. He would have been perfect for Haw a few years ago.. now not sure. I suspect he would look good running the ball in at the scg hitting buddy in the square..

You would rather a pick than a player? It hard as a non NM supporter to gauge them and their direction. personally Id not be in a rush to make any sort of harsh judgements on coach or player this year... Polec ..however has history.. and is a known commodity with a bank of games to judge him on. Maybe he just doesn't fit Shaws type..it happens. He would have been perfect for Haw a few years ago.. now not sure. I suspect he would look good running the ball in at the scg hitting buddy in the square..

I'd rather keep Polec to be honest. I think there's been a flow on effect with some harder mids being injured and just because some players can handle the hub scenario that doesn't mean it's not potentially having an effect on others. Doesn't make any sense to pay around a million bucks for another club to have him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back