Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don’t see any difference between us paying overs for Polec and other clubs paying overs to get a ahead of a bid. People need to look at all the trades done by the club, not just solely individual trades.
North basically traded their 1st and 2nd picks for Thomas, Polec, Pittard and a pick in the 40’s. After all those three players performances last year, I would do that deal now every day of the week.
Yes Polec is being paid over his market value marginally, but you have to do that to pry away players away from another club. Players aren’t going to leave (particularly from their home state) unless they’re being offered substantially more.
Overall to date considering we also managed to bring in a few likely types in Bailey Scott, Curtis Taylor and Joel Crocker I am very happy with the work done by North.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

robbo1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think north done well out of the trade pittard as steak knives was a bonus. Clearly North had to land someone after multiple fishing trips come up empty handed.
I don't think to many north fans would be disappointed with what they got out of the 2 last yr.

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Polec and Pittard had perfectly fine seasons. I wouldn't say either really makes us a lot better as a team. We obviously had some currency to play with because of the Thomas bid so it didn't cost us much, but we made the wrong decision deciding to use that to go for a mature player rather than looking for a way to trade ahead of the Thomas bid and get two top ten kids in the draft. It's not a coincidence that our list manager at the time is no longer with the club, IMO.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Polec and Pittard had perfectly fine seasons. I wouldn't say either really makes us a lot better as a team. We obviously had some currency to play with because of the Thomas bid so it didn't cost us much, but we made the wrong decision deciding to use that to go for a mature player rather than looking for a way to trade ahead of the Thomas bid and get two top ten kids in the draft. It's not a coincidence that our list manager at the time is no longer with the club, IMO.

How do you know that we didn’t try to do that? It was an incredible draft and top 10 picks were gold that year. It’s easy to say we should have got ahead of the Thomas bid, but it’s another thing to get a deal done.
Also our whole football department has changed over the off season, not just our list manager. Polec had a very good year and performed to a level that we would have expected. I don’t see how the list manager can be blamed for a trade that at this point has been a success, or at the very least a pass. The club failing to perform last year doesn’t rest on the Polec trade.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Yeah, we weren't trading into that top ten without losing a best 10-12 player.

Tarryn Thomas went at 8. We got a top ten pick for free.

May 16, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
How do you know that we didn’t try to do that? It was an incredible draft and top 10 picks were gold that year. It’s easy to say we should have got ahead of the Thomas bid, but it’s another thing to get a deal done.
Also our whole football department has changed over the off season, not just our list manager. Polec had a very good year and performed to a level that we would have expected. I don’t see how the list manager can be blamed for a trade that at this point has been a success, or at the very least a pass. The club failing to perform last year doesn’t rest on the Polec trade.

We were deliberately trying to target mature players all year long, there was never for a second any indication from the club or in the media that we had any interest in trying to trade up for picks. We made a trade that turned out perfectly fine - if we were smarter, we could've done something better, but it's not the end of the world that we didn't. Port managed to trade the very pick that we gave them up into that top section of the draft, so it's silly to suggest we couldn't have done the same thing if we wanted to.

After watching Polly and then Butters (pick 12, so think thats who we basically got for polly) geez we made out like bandits!

We actually drafted Butters with our natural first rounder. The pick we got for Polec was packaged up with a heap of later picks to get Rozee though, so still a great result.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
North effectively got Polec and Pittard for free given they were going to burn their pick on Tarryn Thomas anyway. On that metric it was a good trade, but Pittard was de-listed after two seasons and Polec was shopped around. Never really why 2018 North who were average and had just blooded a whole bunch of younger players wanted a 26 year old wingman in the first place let alone on a big money deal. I get why Polec wanted the move, no one else was going to give him that contract.

With the benefit of hindsight, North were probably better off just burning pick 11 on Thomas, or trading into the second round or 2019. Pick 11 is worth about 26 + 27 in points. We had a couple in the 20s and 30s we probably would've cashed in, and I'm sure a team would've offered a 2019 first and something for pick 11 in 2018.

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
North effectively got Polec and Pittard for free given they were going to burn their pick on Tarryn Thomas anyway. On that metric it was a good trade, but Pittard was de-listed after two seasons and Polec was shopped around. Never really why 2018 North who were average and had just blooded a whole bunch of younger players wanted a 26 year old wingman in the first place let alone on a big money deal. I get why Polec wanted the move, no one else was going to give him that contract.

With the benefit of hindsight, North were probably better off just burning pick 11 on Thomas, or trading into the second round or 2019. Pick 11 is worth about 26 + 27 in points. We had a couple in the 20s and 30s we probably would've cashed in, and I'm sure a team would've offered a 2019 first and something for pick 11 in 2018.
Because Brad Scott and the list manager/head of football (or whatever role he had) Cam Joyce completely overrated how good we were and mmisread where we were at after we exceeded expectations in 2018. The list management from about 2016-2018 was a complete cluster*, initially cutting a heap of older blokes and saying we're going youth without actually acquiring draft picks, to bringing Pittard, Polec, Tyson, and Hall the next year, to then Brad turning to the board halfway through 2019 and saying he wants to do a full rebuild and the board rightly telling him, "Agreed, but you had your chance. See you later."

Their terrible list management and awful drafting record over a number of years is the main reason why we're at where we're at now. But thankfully since about 2017, our drafting has improved and we've finally got a football operations staff that actually have a plan and have clearly communicated that to fans so there's no confusion about expectations. Frankly, despite knowing that we're in for a couple of lean years as far as wins go, it's a relief to have people there who actually seem to know what they're doing.

Back