Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Polec was a great get by North. Started the year okay but was very good in the second half. I don't think the 750k rumours are true but even at that amount, I think he's well worth it.

Yeah, he was fine. He looked off in the Scott period (for the most part) but the whole team did. Some really good games in the back end under Shaw, in particular some excellent games against Port and Melbourne to finish the season. I'll take a full season and a 23 disposal average, with 16 goals, for a guy who not only had to learn two new gameplans but also was apparently injury prone. Very keen to see how he follows up.

Yeah, he was fine. He looked off in the Scott period (for the most part) but the whole team did. Some really good games in the back end under Shaw, in particular some excellent games against Port and Melbourne to finish the season. I'll take a full season and a 23 disposal average, with 16 goals, for a guy who not only had to learn two new gameplans but also was apparently injury prone. Very keen to see how he follows up.
The salary issue wasn't even the key thing. Port were more concerned so many years with his foot injury. It's years 4 and 5 with you we see if Port were too conservative or correct.

The salary issue wasn't even the key thing. Port were more concerned so many years with his foot injury. It's years 4 and 5 with you we see if Port were too conservative or correct.

That's fair. I know the Etihad turf was brought up by some Port supporters at the time. To be honest though I can handle some dramas in seasons 4-5 if 2-3 stay as consistent as 1.

North had salary cap space and a first rounder that would've been eaten up by a Thomas bid to use, and they used it to get a good player who filled a huge need in their side. Port traded out a B+ 26 year old and used the currency plus change to get an A grade 18 year old who's more chance of playing in a flag for us than Polec would have been. Everyone wins. /thread

Last edited:
North had salary cap space and a first rounder that would've been eaten up by a Thomas bid anyway to use, and they used it to get a good player who filled a huge need in their side. Port traded out a B+ 26 year old and used the currency plus change to get an A grade 18 year old who's more of a chance of playing in a flag for us than Polec would have been. Everyone wins. /thread

In hindsight we really shouldve traded back from Pick 11 instead of trading it out wholesale. Other than that it's worked out well. Pittard was lucky - he has probably put the trade in our favor. I don't think our guys expected that. I don't think Port expected that either.

I'd say they're both B grade and fill out the cap with some quality. You can get into real trouble paying players more than they're worth. It can wreck you for a long time. So we averted that with this trade. It's sort of a holding trade.

We're going to get 200+ games from both of them for pick 11. You'd take that every time if you were hitting the draft with that pick.

Getting Rozee is a great get as he looks like ports future captain.

He has the goods and I see a very loose link to Polec. You wouldn't have picked him if you still had Polec. Not the right type. Other than that it's unrelated.

North had salary cap space and a first rounder that would've been eaten up by a Thomas bid to use, and they used it to get a good player who filled a huge need in their side. Port traded out a B+ 26 year old and used the currency plus change to get an A grade 18 year old who's more chance of playing in a flag for us than Polec would have been. Everyone wins. /thread
Imagine if north were smart enough to try organise enough picks to draft Rozze with Thomas in the same draft now that would of set them up big time. North/scott went the save my job approach with polec.

Imagine if north were smart enough to try organise enough picks to draft Rozze with Thomas in the same draft now that would of set them up big time. North/scott went the save my job approach with polec.

We went get a proven player to fill a need with Polec while still getting a gun talent in Thomas.

Evertyone forgets we also got Pittard in the trade, and he was bloody good for us.

Smart? You do know Rozee was pick 5? What would we have had to lose along with 11 to get there whilst also keeping enough picks for Thomas and Scott? And that's not to mention some balls to avoid a bid on Thomas anyway (we matched a bid at 8).

Smart? You do know Rozee was pick 5? What would we have had to lose along with 11 to get there whilst also keeping enough picks for Thomas and Sco6tt? And that's not to mention some balls to avoid a bid on Thomas anyway (we matched a bid at 8).
yeah be more creative trading future picks for another young gun than be dumb trading for polec.

yeah be more creative trading future picks for another young gun than be dumb trading for polec.

Righto - so rather than trade for the known quantity and get two players who were best 22 AND a young gun, we should have traded away more capiatl for an unproven player?

Rozee was always going to SA anyway.

I don't think it was dumb trading for Polec, he met a desperate need for us being a winger. There wasn't a huge amount available and we did our best trying to marry him up with Gaff. Anything else is pure benefit of hindsight.

If anything our stupid trades were sending a pick with Preuss for Tyson and bringing in Hall but even those remain to be seen (yeah, they'll probably end up being moronic).

Pittard is good for you but wouldn’t be a best 22 player in 14 out of the 18 teams

On last year's form he would be, same as he would have been in the form when he was AA squad for you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, he literally wouldn’t. He wouldn’t be in ports best 22 last year or this year. Especially not in our back line

The Port backline that we put 22 goals past when you were playing for a finals spot? That backline?

Let's maybe just leave the discussion here, I don't think we're going to agree.

In hindsight we really shouldve traded back from Pick 11 instead of trading it out wholesale. Other than that it's worked out well. Pittard was lucky - he has probably put the trade in our favor. I don't think our guys expected that. I don't think Port expected that either.

I don’t see how trading back would have helped us. The picks we would have received would have just got burnt with the Thomas bid.
We had 3 options which would have benefited us.

1. Trade up and get ahead of the Thomas bid. This would have been very difficult considering the quality of the draft. I have no doubt we would have explored this option, with clubs wanting way overs to strike a deal or not want to deal at all.

2. Trade it for a future pick. In hindsight I would have done this and I think the club probably would have too. Scott and the club obviously thought we weren’t too far off so decided against this option.

3. Trade the pick for the best possible available player, that also fills a need in the side.

I’m not unhappy with the path we took. Polec still has a lot of footy left, he had a very good year and there is no reason why he won’t be there at our next chance for a flag.
The money is a non-issue, (not that I think he is far off what he is getting paid) we had money to burn and it had to go somewhere. If it wasn’t used that space in our salary cap would have gone to waste.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could’ve easily gotten creative.

True, it's all so easy. Maybe we could have traded 2017's (much needed) pick 4 for an even more unknown the next year.

You've seen our list a couple of years ago, there's no creativity known in the world that would have got us into the top 5 and had us with enough points for Thomas, Scott and Crocker. It remains to be seen but it's also being forgotten that we had to be creative on the day to flip some picks for Curtis Taylor who was considered fair enough to be invited to the first round draft night.

True, it's all so easy. Maybe we could have traded 2017's (much needed) pick 4 for an even more unknown the next year.

You've seen our list a couple of years ago, there's no creativity known in the world that would have got us into the top 5 and had us with enough points for Thomas, Scott and Crocker. It remains to be seen but it's also being forgotten that we had to be creative on the day to flip some picks for Curtis Taylor who was considered fair enough to be invited to the first round draft night.
Didn’t Sydney trade out then trade in again last year? Can’t remember if it was them.

Didn’t Sydney trade out then trade in again last year? Can’t remember if it was them.
In North’s position, that wouldn’t have helped get Rozee.

Best case, might have been able to get a kid like Duursma. IF they found a trade partner in the 13 to 15 range.

Buckley’s North could have traded up to 5 for Rozee. They didn’t have as good a hand as Port who traded up pick 5.

Quite frankly this “Rozee discussion“ is just a big trolling exercise.

Maybe.

Port spends up big on free agents and mature players to make a run for it. Rockliff, Watts, Motlop, Ryder, Dixon etc.

Then Port pivot and trade out players at their peak to do a youth rebuild.

Seems a weird change if direction. Surely one of those decisions was wrong.

Back