Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

But in retrospect you could’ve traded that first rounder for a better player who you also might not have had to pay 750k a year.

Even though you had cap space and all it’s not good for team morale when other players on the team see a bloke like that come in on that sort of coin just for the sake of spending it and he doesn’t play like a star that he should be with the money he commanded.

He’s not on $750k. That’s just rubbish that came out of Port via Cornes. Pittard was free, Ports still paying part of his contract.

Thomas & Scott will be stars. Considering the bid came for Thomas at 8 and Norths pick was 11 think they did pretty well getting Polec, Pittard & Thomas for a bunch of late picks, or pick 11 depending on how you look at it.

It's completely inside word and I'm very happy to stand by it.
He’s not on $750k. That’s just rubbish that came out of Port via Cornes. Pittard was free, Ports still paying part of his contract.

Thomas & Scott will be stars. Considering the bid came for Thomas at 8 and Norths pick was 11 think they did pretty well getting Polec, Pittard & Thomas for a bunch of late picks, or pick 11 depending on how you look at it.

Not sure about that , There are some boys at Port who have inside word that it actually is $750k and that the $600k amount has been put out there by a few people just so the other North players are not put off side but money aside, What was your opinion on his game/games for far this season

I know tonight he was pretty ordinary so you can give your opinion on his season so far , Do you believe he has been worth the investment and whats your thoughts about Polec spending more time with the Port boys and looking happy and joking with his ex mates even though his new mates were all pretty depressed ?

Not sure about that , There are some boys at Port who have inside word that it actually is $750k and that the $600k amount has been put out there by a few people just so the other North players are not put off side but money aside, What was your opinion on his game/games for far this season

I know tonight he was pretty ordinary so you can give your opinion on his season so far , Do you believe he has been worth the investment and whats your thoughts about Polec spending more time with the Port boys and looking happy and joking with his ex mates even though his new mates were all pretty depressed ?

That’s interesting because I know he has a heavily front ended contract, this year being his highest. North were so far below the cap they needed to get the figure up so they’re not impacted when they go for the next target. I’m sure you’re aware the cap is assessed in three year bracket. So yeah, North are paying overs for Polec this year, but his contract is over four years. He gets a big payday this year then his contract drops considerably. That structure allows North to continue to target players. They might not choose to come over, but part of the strategy is to make other clubs pay overs to keep their own talent.

That's cool mate, I tend to lean towards the North sources than the Port sources on our contracts but it's neither here nor there, nobody is really going to be posting photos of bank deposits.

Not the best tonight but I think he's been a pretty good addition... Pittard too to be honest, he clearly doesn't have a good track record in that stadium but he's been solid enough for proverbial steak knives. They're part of a team where even the guys that were there before them aren't playing well, can't smash the new guys for things that aren't exclusive to them.

As far as catching up with old teammates are we really that backwards to begrudge guys catching up with blokes they were teammates with for a long time and being happy to see them? Are we gonna be sticklers and say no Polly, only smile at guys you bonded with, were friends with and teammates with if we win? Seems a bit neanderthal to judge that IMO. He's only got a few minutes to reconnect with these guys.

That’s interesting because I know he has a heavily front ended contract, this year being his highest. North were so far below the cap they needed to get the figure up so they’re not impacted when they go for the next target. I’m sure you’re aware the cap is assessed in three year bracket. So yeah, North are paying overs for Polec this year, but his contract is over four years. He gets a big payday this year then his contract drops considerably. That structure allows North to continue to target players. They might not choose to come over, but part of the strategy is to make other clubs pay overs to keep their own talent.
I understand your point and agree that North were clearly under by a fair margin after allocating funds for Kelly & Dusty
But that doesnt change the amount he would be on and maybe he is on the $750k x 4 years with $1 mil in his first 2 years and $500k the next 2

But averaging 22 possessions for player on that sort of coin which cost a good pick just looks like you should be expecting more

I understand your point and agree that North were clearly under by a fair margin after allocating funds for Kelly & Dusty
But that doesnt change the amount he would be on and maybe he is on the $750k x 4 years with $1 mil in his first 2 years and $500k the next 2

But averaging 22 possessions for player on that sort of coin which cost a good pick just looks like you should be expecting more

The issue with that is imagine as a team mate knowing Polec is out there getting 2 years of $900,000 right now even if the other two are just $500,000 for example.

That would be awful for team morale.

There’s things like that that a lot of supporters don’t understand when trying to look at a team playing bad just on the face value alone.

The gun is in with “the boys from port”.

Big footy at its best.

This was posted 2 months before any trade occurred and probably a month before any noises of a move came up.

May have been said elsewhere already, but a friend of mine attended the recent italian night and was sat on polec's table.

Just saying, polec wasn't very shy in making it known that he'd been offered 750 or so elsewhere. This friend is a carlton man (but has a low football care factor), so I do believe him.

I reckon Wayne Carey was right.

Post it in the game thread ill have a look

You could always have traded your 1st rounder away without trading it for Polec, Sydney/Eagles did and did well

Isn't it a fact with discounts and such with the bid systems north would of got back a 1st round pick if they used pick 11 on TT.

Lol at these bumps
What does this achieve

Focus on the blokes out of contract up for grabs

Its the Drafts and Trading board, as this was an actual trade it is still a valid discussion point. Plenty of old trade threads get bumped as do old drafts in the redo draft threads. Remove the sand and man up a bit, there is nothing wrong with this being bumped.

Polec timed his run well , Had a good 2018 season and got his 'Big Deal' and will play like he always has just a run of the mill player but getting very good coin

Watching him play last night collecting 14/15 touches and no tackles with 3 clangers makes you think - Really

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont buy that , Eagles and Swans showed you dont have to trade away completely

Sydney ended up "using" 10, 25, 44 according to the draft order. We're not really relevant because our only NGA player didn't have high bids on him. Tarryn Thomas was officially pick 8. Had North not traded 11 for Polec & Pittard they would've just used it on Thomas anyway.

lol

A West Coast supporter who just saw his team win a flag while retaining the Free Agent that many North supporters were talking on BF as a sure thing to sign with them is jealous.

Never change North supporters. Never change.

A clueless Freo supporter, as I live and breathe.

A clueless Freo supporter, as I live and breathe.

Great chat, excellent response.

Better go and troll the next trade target thread with your "big fish" signing.

Keep clutching at those straws trying to justify your $40 a year pet membership.

Polec wasn't a bad deal for the Roos considering their situation. The entitled attitude of some of their supporters is astounding.

Back