Traded Jared Polec [traded to North Melbourne with Pittard and #48 for #11 and 2019 fourth round pick]

Who won this trade?

• Port Adelaide

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything you've read is wrong. The initial number was leaked and inflated by Port. It's all about perception. The perception they want is that Port were priced out of the deal so their hands were tied. The reality is they only have 3 years on the table and they assumed a SA boy would accept a lowish offer. They botched the recent recruitment's by paying them overs leaving them in a bit of a bind. With 750k being thrown around and continually brought up by Kane Cornes the Port supporters don't kick up a fuss and everyone is happy. Marketing 101.

North have offered 600k x 5 years. Take that to the bank because Polec will be barring something catastrophic getting in the way of him making it there.
He and Josh Kelly will make a mighty combination won't they?

How is this situation different to Jake Lever last year? A player being priced out by a rival offer from Melbourne, Adelaide made sure they got what they were happy with in a trade.

Port have all the power here (no pun intended) and they know North are desperate.

How is this situation different to Jake Lever last year? A player being priced out by a rival offer from Melbourne, Adelaide made sure they got what they were happy with in a trade.

Port have all the power here (no pun intended) and they know North are desperate.
I disagree. North know they've got port in a bind as they can't match. 600k for a player of polec's calibre in this market is a steal. People forget that the salary cap has gone up so 600k is not 600k of a few seasons ago. Port took a gamble and it doesn't look like paying off. Desperate would be North paying 750k which they aren't. If Port want something ridiculous North walk and it's a non-issue.

Pffft, if I knew now that pick 9-10 wasn't going to be used to cover a bid for Thomas, then I would happily keep it & take it to the draft rather than trade it for Polec.

Port wants that pick too, don't you worry about that. Otherwise, BOTH Hately & Rozee spend the next 12-15 years at the Crows.

I disagree. North know they've got port in a bind as they can't match. 600k for a player of polec's calibre in this market is a steal. People forget that the salary cap has gone up so 600k is not 600k of a few seasons ago. Port took a gamble and it doesn't look like paying off. Desperate would be North paying 750k which they aren't. If Port want something ridiculous North walk and it's a non-issue.

Melbourne made an offer Adelaide weren't prepared to match for Lever and look what at what the Crows got for him. North have gone from Heeney, Kelly and Martin to De Goey and Polec. That's the reality of where North are at. You're desperate for talent and paying Polec on par with Ben Brown shows that.

Should Polec move to his third club on a front-ended, five-year deal believed to be worth more than $3.5 million, Port Adelaide would be expected to receive North Melbourne's first-round pick.

That pick is currently placed at No.9, so any decision to part with their first selection would see the Roos demand later picks in a swap with the Power in an effort to accumulate draft points.

If they took that pick to the draft, it would be quickly taken away should the Roos be forced to match a bid on Next Generation Academy prospect Tarryn Thomas.

Instead, a strong hand of second- and third-round picks would be enough for Brad Scott and his team to secure the Tasmanian midfielder.

Melbourne made an offer Adelaide weren't prepared to match for Lever and look what at what the Crows got for him. North have gone from Heeney, Kelly and Martin to De Goey and Polec. That's the reality of where North are at. You're desperate for talent and paying Polec on par with Ben Brown shows that.
North have the salary cap space and want top end talent. Are they supposed to just let it sit there? Of course they are shaking the tree to see if anything falls out.

Brown is at the club, Polec is not - of course you have to pay extra to bring him over. Brown is on 750k and took less than what other clubs were offering as North brought him over to Werribee after two knee recos. They took a chance on him and gave him his shot at AFL football when no one else would. Not to mention playing him as a FF instead of a back up ruck like others saw him. That means something to players. 750k is still more than 600k so it's not on par with Polec.

North have the salary cap space and want top end talent. Are they supposed to just let it sit there? Of course they are shaking the tree to see if anything falls out.

Brown is at the club, Polec is not - of course you have to pay extra to bring him over. Brown is on 750k and took less than what other clubs were offering as North brought him over to Werribee after two knee recos. They took a chance on him and gave him his shot at AFL football when no one else would. Not to mention playing him as a FF instead of a back up ruck like others saw him. That means something to players. 750k is still more than 600k so it's not on par with Polec.

No I'm not saying North should just sit there, I'm saying this is the reality of where North are at. That reality is why Port will hold the upper hand in any negotiations.

As Snake pointed out, add in the fact your first round pick is pre determined to go for Thomas only devalues it to North and makes your first rounder even more likely to be used in the trade and Port know that.

If North offer $600k pa, you would think $450k-$500kpa from Port should see him stay.

That’s how it seems to work isn’t it?

North cannot afford to have another player reject one of their ‘big offers’. It’s getting embarrassing and frustrating fans.

On a side note, in a Roos jumper he has a bit of ‘Laidley’ about him.

No I'm not saying North should just sit there, I'm saying this is the reality of where North are at. That reality is why Port will hold the upper hand in any negotiations.

As Snake pointed out, add in the fact your first round pick is pre determined to go for Thomas only devalues it to North and makes your first rounder even more likely to be used in the trade and Port know that.

Ultimately, if Port doesn't satisfy Polec's financial demands, the power balance shifts to our favor.

If Port do satisfy Polec's financial demands, then any talk of a trade is a moot point.

So, effectively, if a trade scenario actually arises, North have the whip hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately, if Port doesn't satisfy Polec's financial demands, the power balance shifts to our favor.

If Port do satisfy Polec's financial demands, then any talk of a trade is a moot point.

So, effectively, if a trade scenario actually arises, North have the whip hand.

Adelaide wouldn't match Melbourne's offer for Lever so why did they fork out two first rounders for him? Same goes for the Treloar trade. Both those players even specifically nominated the clubs they were traded to.

I'm not suggesting North will have to give up 2 first rounders just that the scenarios are very similar. North's first round pick will be involved if Polec is traded to you.

Mate, Polec is a very good little player, but you're kidding yourself if you think North would get their pants pulled down for him.

He's nowhere near Martin & Kelly's class & the Lever scenario was very different.

Got no doubt the first rounder will be required to entice Port to play ball & that's fair enough, but something will be coming back the other way. Either later pick points or Joe Atley.

Pick 9 & Durdin for Polec & Atley.

Mate, Polec is a very good little player, but you're kidding yourself if you think North would get their pants pulled down for him.

He's nowhere near Martin & Kelly's class & the Lever scenario was very different.

Got no doubt the first rounder will be required to entice Port to play ball & that's fair enough, but something will be coming back the other way. Either later pick points or Joe Atley.

Think Durdin has signed on until end 2019 .. so he can say no to any trade.

How do you know what kind of shape Port Adelaide's salary cap is in?

Think Durdin has signed on until end 2019 .. so he can say no to any trade.

Theoretically, he can decide to not return to his home state and a likely contract extension in the event of a trade.

However, he doesn't strike me as someone that stupid. In fact, I think he's very bright.

A much smaller demographic for his type and Melbourne need to fill a massive hole whilst in the premiership window, that would likely not be facilitated by a trade.

There's probably 5 Levers in the comp, whereas there's 25 Polecs.

A much smaller demographic for his type and Melbourne need to fill a massive hole whilst in the premiership window, that would likely not be facilitated by a trade.

There's probably 5 Levers in the comp, whereas there's 25 Polecs.

I would have thought it is the other way around?

A genuinely elite wingman is harder to find than a talented intercept marker. At Essendon we have 3 on our list already who could be as good as Lever. We have no one with the capabilities of Polec on a wing. Not even close.

When looking for an elite wingman, in todays day and age, you pay them what they are worth.

Imho, there would only be 2 genuine wingmen ahead of Polec in the competition. Andrew Gaff and Jackson MaCrae. Can make a case for a number of others, but they are the three best in the comp at the moment.

Should Polec move to his third club on a front-ended, five-year deal believed to be worth more than $3.5 million, Port Adelaide would be expected to receive North Melbourne's first-round pick.

That pick is currently placed at No.9, so any decision to part with their first selection would see the Roos demand later picks in a swap with the Power in an effort to accumulate draft points.

If they took that pick to the draft, it would be quickly taken away should the Roos be forced to match a bid on Next Generation Academy prospect Tarryn Thomas.

Instead, a strong hand of second- and third-round picks would be enough for Brad Scott and his team to secure the Tasmanian midfielder.

Yeah that was written by the Vic-centric media that barely knows port exists.

The same media that barely knew who Burgoyne was until he suddenly became a legend of the game at hawthorn and the same media that posts pictures of Matthew broadbent in an article referring to Travis boak.

I would have thought it is the other way around?

A genuinely elite wingman is harder to find than a talented intercept marker. At Essendon we have 3 on our list already who could be as good as Lever. We have no one with the capabilities of Polec on a wing. Not even close.

When looking for an elite wingman, in todays day and age, you pay them what they are worth.

Imho, there would only be 2 genuine wingmen ahead of Polec in the competition. Andrew Gaff and Jackson MaCrae. Can make a case for a number of others, but they are the three best in the comp at the moment.

Yep. Wingmen are quite rare. I would add Whitfield to the list. Still a very short list.

Also those names would all cost 2 first rounders outside free agency.

* me

If joe atley is involved your offer would have to go up considerably

He was pick 32 in a deep draft, averaged 20+ touches playing centre in the sanfl against men, most of whom are pretty damn good bid bodied midfielders. Debuted at afl level where he looked good. Had a back injury this year.

glory be me

If joe atley is involved your offer would have to go up considerably

He was pick 32 in a deep draft, averaged 20+ touches playing centre in the sanfl against men, most of whom are pretty damn good bid bodied midfielders. Debuted at afl level where he looked good. Had a back injury this year.
Assuming port get the North 1st rounder to add to their picks they have, does your club then try to go after a Rozee and Hately OR trade up to go after a Lukosius or Rankine, or does it go after May from the GC to fill a need in defence. Lycett is the other guy in play and may come free if WCE don't match, or if they do, then a trade would be required

Back