Jarod Pickett at Pick #4 - Was This A Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

Debutant
May 9, 2017
Toorak
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Swindon Town
He hasn't lived up to his expectatations so far and it's been nearly 3 years since he was drafted
Get on it

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Struggling to have much of an impact.

I believe experts thought he was rated a little further down, more of a luxury selection from SOS to go with his other horrendous picks.

Giants taking picks 4 6 and 7 in that draft and 2 years later trading them for a net return of deledio and pick 69 probably isn't a great result.

As for pickett need to give him time given his injury history, before we can assess if he will make it or not.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Absolute flop so far. Looks overweight and nothing like what you would be looking for as a number 4 pick. I think GWS dumped him with Marchbank to get that Carlton pick

pinot

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
He was played forward in AFL by Bolton but he is not good when play is behind him. I saw him play in VFL against Sandringham at half back flank/wing and he was all the money when the play was in front of him.. just a little rusty... weaving through traffic, elite disposal and decision making, hard tackling, excellent spoiling, leg speed running away from his man. At that point I thought to myself he has top end potential being the cream on the cake but will take another six months at least

A bust they could afford, but it does raise questions about how good Silvagni actually is.

Still, he took a bit of a punt with SPS and it has paid off big time.

Roadto2018

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
A bust they could afford, but it does raise questions about how good Silvagni actually is.

Still, he took a bit of a punt with SPS and it has paid off big time.
Have to question this, 1. How was it a punt? He was clearly an absolute gun. And 2. How can you say it's paid off big time? Obviously he's been terrific this year, but at the end of the day he's 9 weeks into his AFL career, could do two ACLs and then go home to get a fresh start.

If by 'bit of a punt' you meant taking a WA boy then the second part of the comment is even more puzzling, as even if he was homesick, he wouldn't have been able to request a trade yet.

Have to question this, 1. How was it a punt? He was clearly an absolute gun. And 2. How can you say it's paid off big time? Obviously he's been terrific this year, but at the end of the day he's 9 weeks into his AFL career, could do two ACLs and then go home to get a fresh start.

If by 'bit of a punt' you meant taking a WA boy then the second part of the comment is even more puzzling, as even if he was homesick, he wouldn't have been able to request a trade yet.
WA yes, but he's a skinny midfielder who wasn't meant to be ready to play consistent footy yet in a side screaming out for talented players to get on the park now.

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Too early to determine whether recruiting Pickett was "a mistake". He's obviously coming off a pretty nasty foot injury and has the made the move to Melbourne this year so I will cut him some slack and give him time to settle into his new club. Would be nice if he can cement himself in the Blues lineup by the end of the year, which would be what I'd hope for. Next year is the year where I think we can start judging him properly as he will have had a year at Carlton under his belt and hopefully he will have had no major injury interruptions going into 2018 so it gives him the best opportunity to show what he's got.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
He hasn't lived up to his expectatations so far and it's been nearly 3 years since he was drafted
Get on it
When you're out injured, you start to fall behind the pack of players you were drafted with, when you're out injured for multiple years another years worth of draft picks start to overtake you. Bottom line is it's hard to develop when you can't get on the park.

Old navy

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2014
Eastern Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Kid basically missed two years of footy, he is coming from a long ways back, but I've been impressed by what I've seen, he has that rare combo of real pace and good kicking skills.
May not be this year, but if he stay healthy he will be a player, has plenty of talent IMO and definitely worth persisting with.

Super Hans

marcus proudson
10k Posts Pokemon is Life SuperCoach Club Board Championship League Member
Apr 27, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
TrailBlazers, Juventus, Raiders
GWS have draft picks to burn, I'd say any other club would've gone with a 'safer' option.
GWS have almost always gone the safer option over a risk.

Took Marchbank over Lever
Took Orourke/Plowman over Stringer

Pickett was always rated around pick 4, not like they reached for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back