List Mgmt. Jarrad Jansen - Traded to BL for Future 3Rd pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Guys can someone please tell me where Jarrad Jansen is currently at and is he any chance of getting into our best 22 this season ?

cheers
Didn't play VFL on Saturday.... guessing he has a niggle at the moment

Didn't play VFL on Saturday.... guessing he has a niggle at the moment

I asked him why he was in his civvies on Saturday. He said that he had some soreness.
Better to recover and be fit for the VFL season opener than play a praccy match whilst sore.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
“I think I need to string another couple of games together before I force my way into the team,” Jansen said.

“Good form in the VFL is only going to get me there.”

Sounds like he feels he is still has a bit more to prove before he sees himself being given AFL game time. With our thinning stocks that may have to be brought forward.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Anyone could get a game right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCarthy couldn't...

54657350.jpg

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If he plays 2-3 very good games in a row - get him in the senior side and see what happens. This season is not going to end well for us I fear so let's try out the young guys and see how they go.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it's time to resurrect Jarrad Jansen's own thread- discussion revolving around him seems to have taken over a few threads now.

Here are a couple of articles on JJ from this season:

1. early JUNE 2015
The 20-year-old sees an AFL debut on the horizon but understands there are still some elements of his game that need work.
“Quick decisions off the ball is something for me [to work on]. I’m not at my best and tend to ball-watch and just those running angles internally that will really get me to the next level,” Jansen said.
Watching the likes of Cory Gregson and Darcy Lang prospering at AFL level has encouraged Jansen to keep working hard.
“You can kind of see the opportunities are there if you really want to grab it. Working hard in the VFL will get you that spot in the AFL side," he said.
“I think I still need to string a couple more games together before I really force my way into the team but good form in the VFL is only going to get me there.”

Jansen attributes his on field fortunes to an increased running ability that has come from significant weight loss following the 2014 season.
“I was up to 97 or 98 kilos towards the end of last year and now I’ve slimmed down a bit. I backed off some of the weights in the gym and I’ve dropped back down to 93 or 94,” he said.
“I probably got a bit too heavy towards the end of last year, but now that I’ve dropped two or three I’m feeling really fit.”
In losing those extra kilos, Jansen has become a more complete player and can run out games much more efficiently. The weight loss has also had a significant impact on Jansen’s confidence and in-game mentality.
“I knew in myself that I needed to [drop the weight] because it kind of played on the back of my mind and it was a conscious effort," he said.
“It’s huge knowing that I can have an impact late in games. It’s a big confidence boost.”

With his new fitness base and the possibility of an AFL debut drawing closer, Jansen is keen to continue to push his case for selection with consistent performances in the VFL.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-06-01/jansen-knocking-on-the-door

2. Early JULY 2015
words from his coach, Paul Hood:
“He’s not going to be your big, stand-underneath-the ball key forward, but his ability to fight in the air and then compete on the ground can probably make him pretty valuable in time, and we’re working hard to do that with him.”

“Jarrad’s obviously such a big player, it takes a lot of energy to run that big body around in the midfield, so we’re trying to give him an opportunity to play midfield and to play forward and he’s developing in both areas at the moment and doing well.

“It’s a big step up from junior footy and VFL to AFL and some of our other guys have played earlier than Jarrad, but he’s working really hard at his craft and hopefully a chance for him is not too far away.”

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...-in-on-afl-debut/story-fnjuhrxq-1227429607337

cats_09

Last edited:

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the development we've put into him will really pay off.
If we were Melbourne he would of played in the 1sts as a full time mid from day dot, floundered and would be delisted probably by the end of next year.
Playing him forward adds an extra dimension to his game while also learning to read the play and learning where the ball is going to go which will help him be more involved in the game as a mid cause he'll know where to run.
Bar injuries I think this will be a breakout year in the VFL and should get 1 or 2 games in the 1sts.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
If we were Melbourne he would of played in the 1sts as a full time mid from day dot, floundered and would be delisted probably by the end of next year.
Playing him forward adds an extra dimension to his game while also learning to read the play and learning where the ball is going to go which will help him be more involved in the game as a mid cause he'll know where to run.
Bar injuries I think this will be a breakout year in the VFL and should get 1 or 2 games in the 1sts.
I hadn't thought of things that way (bolded) Spazz- that sounds feasible, though. :thumbsu:

I remember a couple of years ago (2012, after a match against the Demons in Geelong & for some reason I feel news of Bock breaking his leg came through), I was listening to Krock and they were interviewing Motlop post match. They spoke to Motlop about how his career at Geelong had been stop/start with injuries, but he had opportunities at VFL level and was now getting those opportunities at AFL level, and the context of Motlops answer has stuck with me since.
I can't remember word for word what he said, but it was along the lines "At Geelong, they train us to play the Geelong way, even when we are playing VFL, we are playing the Geelong way, so that when we do get opportunities at senior level they know we are ready to step up and we know the system and way we need to play. We know what our role will be."

Where that line of questioning came from was because of the number of early picks that the Demons had had, and they were talking about how with Melbourne a lot of time these youngsters got drafted and then almost thrown in the deep end straight away even if they weren't ready because there was almost no option, but at Geelong the give players the time and opportunity to develop, so that when they do get senior chances they aren't as out of their depth as they may have otherwise been. And they kinda debated (I think more so leaning towards Geelongs idea of giving them time to develop) whether it was better to get them senior opportunities early or hold them back until they are ready.

Obviously not all our draft picks spend extended time in the VFL, some get senior chances early and don't look out of place, but for those who do spend an extended time in the VFL, rather than looking at it as a personal criticism maybe they need to change their perspective and look at it as a learning opportunity.

I wonder how much one-on-one feedback a player like Jansen gets from his VFL matches, areas he is told to work on etc and how much of that he takes on board to develop his game, or if he sees other players drafted the same year as him (either at Geelong or different clubs) and those drafted by Geelong but after him getting opportunities and he feels more frustrated at getting over looked rather than driven to step up and force the coaches to select him by making it impossible for them to overlook him.

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I remember a couple of years ago (2012, after a match against the Demons in Geelong & for some reason I feel news of Bock breaking his leg came through), I was listening to Krock and they were interviewing Motlop post match. They spoke to Motlop about how his career at Geelong had been stop/start with injuries, but he had opportunities at VFL level and was now getting those opportunities at AFL level, and the context of Motlops answer has stuck with me since.
I can't remember word for word what he said, but it was along the lines "At Geelong, they train us to play the Geelong way, even when we are playing VFL, we are playing the Geelong way, so that when we do get opportunities at senior level they know we are ready to step up and we know the system and way we need to play. We know what our role will be."

Where that line of questioning came from was because of the number of early picks that the Demons had had, and they were talking about how with Melbourne a lot of time these youngsters got drafted and then almost thrown in the deep end straight away even if they weren't ready because there was almost no option, but at Geelong the give players the time and opportunity to develop, so that when they do get senior chances they aren't as out of their depth as they may have otherwise been. And they kinda debated (I think more so leaning towards Geelongs idea of giving them time to develop) whether it was better to get them senior opportunities early or hold them back until they are ready.

Obviously not all our draft picks spend extended time in the VFL, some get senior chances early and don't look out of place, but for those who do spend an extended time in the VFL, rather than looking at it as a personal criticism maybe they need to change their perspective and look at it as a learning opportunity.

I wonder how much one-on-one feedback a player like Jansen gets from his VFL matches, areas he is told to work on etc and how much of that he takes on board to develop his game, or if he sees other players drafted the same year as him (either at Geelong or different clubs) and those drafted by Geelong but after him getting opportunities and he feels more frustrated at getting over looked rather than driven to step up and force the coaches to select him by making it impossible for them to overlook him.
I think you've said that perfectly, Cats 09. Players are all different and playing some before they're ready could result in a setback to their confidence. With others, it's a challenge to be overcome and they thrive on that.

We've all seen how well many of the Melbourne, Carlton and St Kilda early picks have performed over many years- some will come good, some HAVE come good but there have been a few who may never reach their potential.

Most other teams respect the Geelong model and emulate it. It has worked well for many years now, so why break it?

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Here's an article with what Jimmy B had to say about young players needing to earn their senior games:

"Before his senior return, Bartel played a VFL game for the Cats against the Casey Scorpions.

He says the experience gave him an insight into the quality of the youngsters beginning to push for senior selection at Geelong.

"There is a huge amount of potential there, and the guys are really hungry to make their own imprint," Bartel said.

"I'm certainly excited more in the character of the sort of blokes we've got coming through, but obviously they have got some great ability as well."

The 31-year-old said the young players at Geelong don't want to be handed games because of their youth and want to earn their place because of form, which will stand them in good stead when selected.

Players such as Jarrad Jansen, Dean Gore, Jake Kolodjashnij, Nakia Cockatoo and Michael Luxford have either experienced senior football or been on the fringe of selection, while Darcy Lang, Jed Bews and Cory Gregson have become permanent members of the senior team.

"I don't think they want to be handed games. They want to earn them and feel they belong at AFL level because they got there on good form," Bartel said."

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-15/passion-makes-bartel-keen-to-continue

Fair enough, it might just be his opinion but he's been around a fair while now and has seen a few things and would be able to read the general feeling of the group of young players.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair enough, it might just be his opinion but he's been around a fair while now and has seen a few things and would be able to read the general feeling of the group of young players.

I take all thats stuff with a grain of salt Tcat... its almost footy speak

If we lose Jansen...its almost a good sign... cause when you start losing potential young players thru the lens of of too much competition ..we are starting to get somewhere.. I liked Prismall , liked Schroder... and Jansen appeal as well...yet we judge on what we see. The club is much closer they can see the work rate , the improvement , the personality ... they know who they must sign and who has yet to show themselves irreplaceable

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I take all thats stuff with a grain of salt Tcat... its almost footy speak

If we lose Jansen...its almost a good sign... cause when you start losing potential young players thru the lens of of too much competition ..we are starting to get somewhere.. I liked Prismall , liked Schroder... and Jansen appeal as well...yet we judge on what we see. The club is much closer they can see the work rate , the improvement , the personality ... they know who they must sign and who has yet to show themselves irreplaceable
Yeah, perhaps, Turbo, but if players see others getting games before they're due, it can impact negatively on the way they view that other player. If the game has been earned through hard work and application and following the game plan, teammates tend to be positive about the addition to the team because they know they can work with them. If their teammate's not ready, someone else has to work extra hard to cover for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back