Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

There are many, many.
But Macca is up there. 300 games & p'ship Captain beside your name puts you up among the best IMO.
Cousins had Captain beside his name. He must be the best too! Before you even start on McVeigh being recognized as a Captain, it was Hall as part of the rotation policy and it wasn’t ‘And now the Captain...Jarred McVeigh’.

He is up there as a resilient and great player but Bedford’s correct, he’s not a superstar.

Cousins had Captain beside his name. He must be the best too! Before you even start on McVeigh being recognized as a Captain, it was Hall as part of the rotation policy and it wasn’t ‘And now the Captain...Jarred McVeigh’.

He is up there as a resilient and great player but Bedford’s correct, he’s not a superstar.

Come here young Mick Oxlong! Stick your tongue out and as you savour the uber hot mustard reflect on the injustice of ever mentioning Boundary Line Benny and McVeigh in the same context again.

McVeigh has never been a superstar. He has been a very clever footballer of A Grade quality in his prime. I expect his new contract is around the median average, not much and not too little befitting the role he performs.

‘Current’ being the operative word WW. You did note my post didn’t have a ceiling?
No worries Mick you did cover most of the options for his extension to be of value and by the way I was agreeing with Your summation. Current depth is shithouse and yes injuries have not helped but imo there are a few repeat offenders that are in and out regularly that are not AFL Standard Footballers. I would back McVeigh next year over those blokes even if he was on a walking frame with his football brain and leadership. He can be polarising to some and that is fair enough but in the last qtr last week when we were hanging in there by the skin of our teeth for that double chance I was hoping when ever we were in posession it was in his hands.

I used to worry about the injury factor but then I took Sam Reid, AJ, etc into account & realised that we have had great value from Macca & if you go into seasons worrying about that then we need to get rid of all injury prone players no matter what age.
Apart from the collarbone which was an impact injury, Macca has been quite resilient this season.

Now that I have said that, he'll pop his calf getting a coffee at the same cafe that broke Mills' foot.
The older the player the more difficult to recover from injury...

Hmmn ... who are our 5 best field kicks?

1 McVeigh
2 Franklin
3 Dawson
4 Reg
5 Mills

All our best kicks are playing in the NEAFL (according to this board).

I can't recall using tbe word superstar. That was Bedders getting all flustered using tbat word.
I said he was up there with some of our best players.
300 games & a P'ship captain says so. Not me.
History will show him as one of our best.

All our best kicks are playing in the NEAFL (according to this board).

... well yes I suppose so. However it has been a while since I have since Gary Nohan get a kick in the 1s. I have the vague recollection that when got a possie he was a pretty decent kick. Although I understand that the property steward only rarely was required to polish GN's boots.

I can't recall using tbe word superstar. That was Bedders getting all flustered using tbat word.
I said he was up there with some of our best players.
300 games & a P'ship captain says so. Not me.
History will show him as one of our best.
So tomorrow? One of our best, well that’ll depend on the criteria I guess. You’re entitled to think so and I’ll never take that away from you but I personally think, on ability, he won’t rank anywhere near any of South Melbourne/Sydney’s best. Great career though, that’s undeniable! Longenevity doesn’t make you great, it just makes you old!

... well yes I suppose so. However it has been a while since I have since Gary Nohan get a kick in the 1s. I have the vague recollection that when got a possie he was a pretty decent kick. Although I understand that the property steward only rarely was required to polish GN's boots.
I guess one kick Rohan gets is always one more than you ever got in the AFL?

I am saying horse retired him in a presser earlier this year and now to me looks silly on his behalf
People hear what they want to hear Punts. John stated facts.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/124c53b586ff5295fc6fdf45396c1d72

Coach John Longmire confirmed his star defender hadn’t approached the club about playing on after signing a one-year deal last year with a view to move into coaching in 2019.

“He’s been really good, at the moment he’s retiring at the end of this year, that’s what the plan is,” Longmire told SEN.

“We haven’t had any discussions contrary to that, but he’s been playing well, he’s really contributing every week, but we haven’t had any of those discussions yet.”

“The plan was set at the end of last year and we haven’t spoken about any adjustment to that at all at this point.”

Sorry. I am on the other side.

This captain selected himself and was nearly the worst Swans player in the 2016 GF. Rohan and X were worse.

2 baulks and 3 great kicks and the rest 25m Lloyd sideway kicks doesn't make his games great but it does for a lot here.

I will never forgive McVeigh & Longmire for their 2016 GF selections.

We are and will always be safe and largely risk averse until the club changes.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This captain selected himself and was nearly the worst Swans player in the 2016 GF. Rohan and X were worse.

2 baulks and 3 great kicks and the rest 25m Lloyd sideway kicks doesn't make his games great but it does for a lot here.

Wasn’t playing McVeigh (and Mills) a risk...?

His record says he is a Champion of the club and if anyone considers our team of the century a team of club South Melbourne / Sydney Swans Greats he has been a better player than at least 4 players in that team so work it out for yourself where he stands among players to play for the club. It is ridiculous some of the s**t that has been spoken about him on this board for a fair while now. For a bloke that was picked in a draft more for his athletic endurance more than his out and out football ability what he has done in his career for this club makes him a club great for mine.

No Lloyd, Cunningham, Florent, Rampe, or Ronke? Franklin is the best kick in the league and his field kicking is sublime, just as Tony Lockett’s was!

Lloyd is reliable, Ollie a bit wayward but often terrific. Cunningham is pretty good. Ramps has been off the boil with his kicking - may be exhausted from repelling repeat entries.

Ronkes field kicking is pretty average.

Seems to nail the goals up forward though.
I think his field kicking Ismail fantastic...I did see him * one up though, but I blame his kicking action on that. Come to think of it, his kicking action, it works for goals too!

I think his field kicking Ismail fantastic...I did see him **** one up though, but I blame his kicking action on that. Come to think of it, his kicking action, it works for goals too!

I’ve seen him fluff plenty.

His kicking efficiency is 53.1%.

That's it !

This is very true and I, along with a few others called him out at the time...very (extremely) selfish but in the end, it was Longmire’s (match committee) fault to allow this. A very disappointing time, or should I say a wasted opportunity for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back