Past Jarrad McVeigh - premiership captain, retired 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

From my understanding Kirk grew into being a leader around late 2016. The Geelong Semi final was when they said he started to really step up and when he told Davis "you owe us a goal" that was one of the first times he started to lead.
Do you mean 2005?

Had a fantastic year and no reason why he doesn’t deserve an extension. By the time 2019 rolls around though, he’ll be that 6 months older so I’d be using as depth/leadership/coaching and anything else is a bonus (because his form would warrant it).

I think we all retired Macca during the season last year & questioned him going on in 2018. As we have done with Jack this season for next season.
Such players, ex captains at that, shouldn't be written off.
Did Horse write Macca off? Who knows but he certainly triggered the fight in Macca to make him find some more. Macca has been nothing short of extraordinary this season & hands up who didn't think he was finished when he broke his collarbone against the Cats some weeks ago. Insert a plate, let the wound heal a little & off you go champ, just pick up where you left off.
IMO without Macca coming back so soon after collarbone surgery, we would have lost to Collingwood, Melbourne & GWS & not made finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack won't be extended because he has a year to run. Jack is a hardened finals player & I am looking forward to seeing what he can do against GWS.

I hope you are right, I do see some value in Jack, but jeez he looked short of a gallop.

Very much needed in 2018

He was great when he got over his early season injury. One of our best in the loss and Friday night. Provides great leadership and footy smarts on the field. You are a long time retired and his coaching days will come, hopefully with us.

Where are all the posters who were putting him out to pasture 2 seasons ago and even this preseason when his calf flared up again? Embarassing.

Good to see you guys stuck with him. He's one of our best ever.

I think we all retired Macca during the season last year & questioned him going on in 2018. As we have done with Jack this season for next season.
Such players, ex captains at that, shouldn't be written off.
Did Horse write Macca off? Who knows but he certainly triggered the fight in Macca to make him find some more. Macca has been nothing short of extraordinary this season & hands up who didn't think he was finished when he broke his collarbone against the Cats some weeks ago. Insert a plate, let the wound heal a little & off you go champ, just pick up where you left off.
IMO without Macca coming back so soon after collarbone surgery, we would have lost to Collingwood, Melbourne & GWS & not made finals.
Extraodinary !, if he was he'd be AA. He has been very good and steady , but he's one calf off the end.
It's a selfish decision and we can only hope we don't lose a young player like Dawson.

It's a selfish decision and we can only hope we don't lose a young player like Dawson.

That's the thing I'm worrying about, we better not have another situation post season with Dawson leaving.

What I find remarkable about him is that he has somehow managed to go from looking just about finished for a significant portion of last year to looking far from it for the vast majority of this year. I'd love to know what if anything he has changed about his training or preparation to have made such a strong bounce back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back